Thread: Haul Road caribou hunt?

Default Haul Road caribou hunt?

Planning on driving up the Haul road for a caribou hunt in the next two weeks, just a couple of questions, how are the roads, has anyone hiked in for the rifle hunt? was planning on going at least up to Toolik lake or Galbraith lake area for the hunt but don't know to much about the area. don't have my bow cert. so that's why i'm planning on hiking in, any special rules besides having to be 5 miles off the road? any helpful hints would be great.

Check your PM'S.

Have you checked your notifications? (At top of page)

Joe - with only 1 post, I'm not sure the OP can necessarily get PMs. Some things are restricted for "new members". I think they need 10 posts, or something like that.

In any case - to answer the question, I would say that you can find the answers to all of your questions by using the search tools of this forum. Your questions have been asked before (they're kinda asked every year), and you will get a much more complete answer by looking through material that people have posted in the past.

I have been up the Haul Road 4 times, 3 of those in the fall, and all of them concentrating on rifle hunting 5 miles off the road. I can say that the road is in pretty good shape. Horror stories of the road have dropped off significantly in the past several years, because I think the road used to be much worse than it is now. Still, drive it with some care, and slow WAY down and pull way over when meeting a semi. They will often show you the same courtesy, and it will save your windshield and car. Having extra spares can't hurt, although I have still yet to change a tire on that road (lucky me!). 2 of the times I was up there, I did it with my Subaru wagon, and it did just fine, so there you go. Just be cautious.

The hike out.... sucks, especially if you think of 5 miles as something that's not too bad. Think of it as 15 miles, and you'll be better off. It's more difficult psychologically than physically, I think, because you can see for miles in all directions, but you just can't seem to make any progress. The terrain is mostly spongy, wet tundra. The tussocks will try to break your ankles, and your feet will probably get water-logged. That said, I have had 4 amazingly good trips up there, and each Fall trip I've done has met success.

That should get you started. Check out other posts on this subject. For the most up-to-date info on where the caribou are, check the Haul Road Report Thread on the bow hunting forum. Outside of that, hit me up with a PM if you want any more info from me. Good luck and have fun!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

CIF: Looks like Greg has some good info for you. I have some info that might be useful to you and since you evidently can't receive PM'S perhaps send me one with a contact phone number and this fellow CIF will share.

Default Kavik River Camp Caribou

Does anyone have any input on a Kavik River archery caribou hunt? I have read all the threads and did not find much info. I am thinking about driving to Prudhoe Bay, shuttle plane to Kavik and then grab a transporter plane from there to drop me off in front of a herd. I injured my back in a logging accident years ago so I cannot pack meat as well as most or I would hunt from the Haul rd. I wanted to experience the drive (crazy maybe) but perhaps I should just grab a transporter from Fairbanks and hunt closer and cheaper? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Koalie