Thread: New 4 Brow Tine Law

Default New 4 Brow Tine Law

For the next two years on the Kenai
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

It won't make much difference until we start killing more Brown bears. A good fire wouldn't hurt either.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 08-14-2011 at 10:44. Reason: we not the
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    It won't make much difference until we start killing more Brown bears. A good fire wouldn't hurt either.
    The fire would be put out before it started. You're right though.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

It also changed in parts of 13 to no spikes-fork to 4 brow tine or more

Quote Originally Posted by jbswasilla View Post
    It also changed in parts of 13 to no spikes-fork to 4 brow tine or more
    Reference Please?
    Or are you referencing the NR hunters?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Judging from what I've seen this summer I would say get used to this restriction because I predict it will be in place for 4 years. I've seen probably 1/2 to a 1/4 of the amount of yearling bulls I normally see driving along the highway this summer. ADF&G flew this spring and said there was no calves and for them to admit that there must really be no calves. If they allowed a decent number of brown bears to be shot by hunters I predict the calf ratios would triple or quadruple within 3 or 4 years.

ADF&G is going to do a calf study starting this upcoming spring by radio tagging and following cows in the spring. Well see then what the main cause is: whether it be cows not getting pregnant from low bull:cow ratios or predation as the major cause. Even with low bull:cow ratios I saw a fair amount of calves in late May but within a couple weeks I went from seeing calves to seeing hardly any. My gut feeling is the brown bears are taking more calves than they ever have on the KP and the wolves are being hard on the adults. People have reported seeing wolves right along the sterling highway this spring and summer and that is not a good sign.