Thread: Some grouse.

Default Some grouse.

I just got back to Alaska from the mid west. My hunting partner TH, Paxson, and I braved the rain today. He did pretty well. He bumped some, pointed some, and even caught one (not ideal, but had some nice points afterward, so what can you do?) Paxson still has work to do, but I saw some nice stuff from him. My partner took a young ruffie over a nice point from Paxson. To end the day, I took a spruce grouse over a solid point. Paxson did great retrieving (even the bird he caught). I did miss one ruffie that Paxson pointed. I think at this point, he just needs to hunt, and to get on as many birds as possible. I think I need to shut my mouth more, and let him figure the birds out. He hunted hard from start to finish. Everything else seems to be there. The young birds held tighter than the old ones. Even in a pretty steady rain, it felt great to be out looking for birds!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The end results. Dinner was great tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats to all of you! Nice work.
    I got out a couple days so far -- managed to drop a single young sharpie that spooked before Max could scent him, but Max found him for me as he was injured and running. The rain had Max and I wimpin' out today -- good on you for toughing it out -- looks like it panned out. I gotta head to Georgia for a week, but I'll be back at 'em before long. Keep after 'em!
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by kylemac View Post
    Congrats to all of you! Nice work.
    I got out a couple days so far -- managed to drop a single young sharpie that spooked before Max could scent him, but Max found him for me as he was injured and running. The rain had Max and I wimpin' out today -- good on you for toughing it out -- looks like it panned out. I gotta head to Georgia for a week, but I'll be back at 'em before long. Keep after 'em!
    Regards.
    Thanks Kyle! I was just about to email you, and then I saw your post! Sounds like you got Max starting strong! Give me a shout when you get back from Georgia!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Paxson looks great and happy! Had a minor set-back with Winchester, he caught a sparrow the day before the opener and now he thinks he is the world's greatest sparrow hunter. He did find some spruce grouse for us to shoot but the weather here has been rain everyday so not the best hunting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Paxson looks great and happy! Had a minor set-back with Winchester, he caught a sparrow the day before the opener and now he thinks he is the world's greatest sparrow hunter. He did find some spruce grouse for us to shoot but the weather here has been rain everyday so not the best hunting conditions.
    Thanks Steve! LOL dogs are so funny! Catching birds is not something we want our pointing boys to do, but I guess it can happen. I couldn't believe Pax caught a ruffie though! A sporrow is probably a harder feat! He did better as the day went on, and having bumped a few birds in this crappy weather isn't the most concerning thing in the world. Nice to get Winchester on some birds. How did he do working them? Raining here non stop as well. Hope it clears before this weekend. I want to try to head south.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Paxson looks like a cool dog.
    Man I'm green with envy, I can't wait for bird season to start,,,,,Come on October 1st and get here already.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Paxson looks like a cool dog.
    Man I'm green with envy, I can't wait for bird season to start,,,,,Come on October 1st and get here already.
    Thank you! He is pretty cool. Oct 1...chukars?

Yep Oct 1st for Chukars/ Huns/Quail,, Dove and Grouse season starts Sept. 1st but I'm pretty busy archery hunting Elk and Pronghorn.
    Although I do take a few Blues for the Dutch oven with my longbow while hunting Elk.
    My true love is for them dirty rotten f$%@#$ing running birds, just something about tucking in behind my hound while she puts the heat on em for a few hundred yards just fires me up, how she knows just how much preasure to apply to get em to sit intead of flush is a dang mystery to me.
    Then theres the flush,, man nothing like watching a dozen or so birds exploding out of the sage in all directions, trying to single one out for a shot is ruff doin's at best, for me nothing in the hunting world can compare.
    Good luck everybody, hope you and yer hounds have safe and fun season..

I have posted this before, but I'm gonna do it again, it's a handy little item that has came in handy for me a couple of times, hope you never have to get a injured dog out of the field, but if you do you'll wish you had one of these.
    Emergency Carrier for Dogs , it's half way down the page,,http://www.uplandidaho.com/Shopping/Shopping.htm

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Yep Oct 1st for Chukars/ Huns/Quail,, Dove and Grouse season starts Sept. 1st but I'm pretty busy archery hunting Elk and Pronghorn.
    Although I do take a few Blues for the Dutch oven with my longbow while hunting Elk.
    My true love is for them dirty rotten f$%@#$ing running birds, just something about tucking in behind my hound while she puts the heat on em for a few hundred yards just fires me up, how she knows just how much preasure to apply to get em to sit intead of flush is a dang mystery to me.
    Then theres the flush,, man nothing like watching a dozen or so birds exploding out of the sage in all directions, trying to single one out for a shot is ruff doin's at best, for me nothing in the hunting world can compare.
    Good luck everybody, hope you and yer hounds have safe and fun season..

I have posted this before, but I'm gonna do it again, it's a handy little item that has came in handy for me a couple of times, hope you never have to get a injured dog out of the field, but if you do you'll wish you had one of these.
    Emergency Carrier for Dogs , it's half way down the page,,http://www.uplandidaho.com/Shopping/Shopping.htm
    Neat piece of equipment.

Hoyt - Paxson has sure grown up fast...seems like you just posted your new family addition a couple of weeks ago. (BTW, love the Ithaca).

Slimm - cool piece of equipment...though I'm not too thrilled on the breed they chose to represent a dog in an emergency situation. Of course, if I had that and had to use it I'm glad I'm a Viszla owner and don't run fat labs.

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    Hoyt - Paxson has sure grown up fast...seems like you just posted your new family addition a couple of weeks ago. (BTW, love the Ithaca).

Slimm - cool piece of equipment...though I'm not too thrilled on the breed they chose to represent a dog in an emergency situation. Of course, if I had that and had to use it I'm glad I'm a Viszla owner and don't run fat labs.
    Thanks! I love that old Ithaca as well. It is light as hell, and tough as hell. I never get tired of carrying it around all day. It's been killing birds since 1956. Paxson has grown a ton both mentally and physically!

And boom goes the dynamite. Good early work for Kokanee (aka Paxson).
    Go Big Red!

Well if he caught a grouse in his mouth, he would certainly need something to wash it down with. AK Amber might be too heavy after all that exercise.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm a little jealous since I've been down here at FT Polk in 100+ degree weather for the last 30+ days. Hopefully, I'll be back in Ak and finding Nitro some birds soon.