Thread: First sheep hunt done...

Smile First sheep hunt done...

Just getting back from my first sheep hunt. I went on DIY walk in. Unfortunately I did not score a ram but that being said I would not call my hunt a failure. I learned much and got to see lots of sheep in the five days I was out. Weather was terrible. Snow, rain, clouds and fog hampered our trip at every turn. Physical it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I don't think you can ever condition enough to make the trip easy it would just mean you would go farther faster. Nothing like the field to let you know what gear is going to work and what needs to stay in the garage. So with all the obstacles we faced this week and even without scoring a "trophy" I would have to say it was the best hunt I have been on. The sense of accomplishment I am feeling is awesome. Not seeing but one other hunting party in a week hunting was an enjoyment. I think I am hooked on sheep hunting!!!

Way to get after it! Early August hunts tend to be wet. It sounds like you got the bug - congrats

I too just finished my first DCUA walk-in sheep hunt. Had a blast despite the horrible weather. Only saw one other group of hunters something like 4 miles away. Got tons of pics and found one double broomer we got some photos of...when the weather cleared we couldn't find him again!

What a week to be out in DCUA!

Sorry that you didn't connect but it sounds like fun was had and that is the important thing. Where's the pictures? How about a report of what needs to stay in the garage.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Sounds like a good time. Post some photos of your hunt if you don't mind.

Yes, sometimes you learn more on a hunt you don't score on. You will hone your kills for next year. Can't wait for the pics and equipment review.

Guess for a equip review I can start with what worked great.
    Boots, LaSportiva Glaciers. Five days with wet feet and nothing like a blister at all. Con for these is when wet they get heavy and are hard to dry out.
    I think the smart wool socks and liners need some praise here too. Warm feet even when wet and cold out.
    SPOT beacon. Loved having this. Wife likes having this. Worth the weight for the wife piece of mind that I was okay. Plus you can get help if you need it.
    Katadyn water filter bottle. No beaver fever for this kid, no iodine taste, easy as can be.
    Black Diamond Trek Poles. Don't have the model but they saved my knees and my ***** from falling hard a couple times. The Flick locks worked awesome. ZERO failures.
    Boot Gaiters. Rocks and water out of boots. Mine were the short OR's but my partner had tall Mt Hardwear and they were great
    Wet weather gear was North Face Hyvent. They sent me a jacket trimmed in yellow which I was not to thrilled about but it is lite and worked great.
    CONS:
    My Remington 700. Thing felt like a ton after walking all day. But it is my best shooting rig so....
    Butler Creek Scope Caps.... JUNK, never again.
    Badlands 4500 pack. Good pack but it is almost 10 lbs empty and likes to soak up the water so there is a few more pounds
    Sitka Accent pants. For the price there are better pants out there that shed the water better and are more durable (do you really need camo???) I should have worn my Patagonia's.
    I carried in a pair of Nikon Binos. Heavy but worth it I feel till the rain, snow and ice penetrated the seals and now I see clouds of mist no mater how sunny it is.
    I didn't have a large budget for this hunt. Used mostly the stuff I had or I borrowed a couple small items. Gas there and back was almost as much as my gear budget (minus boots)

Attachment 51777.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Thats some great info mlwent. I am going to be heading north on the 12th for a walk-in hunt and your info will help a lot. I am sorry you didnt score but glad every thing turned out good and you are well on your way to next years sheep hunt it sounds.