Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good, reasonable halibut jigging rod??

Question Good, reasonable halibut jigging rod??

I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for a good halibut jigging rod or rod/reel combo that I can quickly pick up in Anchorage??

http://www.okumafishing.com/category/247453/cedros
    The cedros speed jig rod-not sure why the link is going to the home page?

Love mine and a big thanks to BrownBear for turning me on to this rod. Light so it doesn't wear you, sensitive for light takes and plenty of backbone.
    Last edited by kodiakbound; 08-13-2011 at 23:41. Reason: bad link
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Go to B&J's and buy yourself a Shimano Trevala XXHeavy jigging rod. I love mine to death. Won't jig with anything else.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks, guys.

Kodiakbound, do you know if anyone in Anchorage carries the Okuma? I was looking at getting an Okuma halibut rod, too. Just a normal halibut rod, but I liked the reel position and the grip is awesome.

I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure someone will chime in that knows. Sorry
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

It's alright, I'll just keep my eyes open. Going window shopping tomorrow.

I also have a okumu cedros, only jigging rod I have used but I like it. I know there are other good ones out there.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have a pair of Super seeker jigging rods, an okuma cedros and two shimano trevalas, one xh, one xxh. My favorite is the xxh trevala with an avet jx reel spooled with daiwa pe-4. Second favorite is the trevala xh with an avet sx spooled with the same line.

The okuma is a good rod, but the shimano's feel more lively and seem to work better over a broader range of jig weights. The okuma seems too stiff with the lighter jigs and over loaded with the heavier jigs. The seeker rods are also good, but just have a different feel and are more old school than the the trevala that bends over it's whole length.

With braided line, the newer reels are the way to go, they are lighter so you don't tire yourself out, yet they have plenty of drag. You simply don't need a large reel, the little sx holds over 300yds of the pe-4 line, which is 55#, and IMHO plenty strong.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Cedros, 6 feet, XH, mated to a Tekota 800. Approximately $300.
    Tennessee

It looks like it's about a tie for the Shimano or Okuma. I used a Seeker on a charter earlier in the year and really liked it. It was very basic and simple but had a good action. At this point, it's more a matter of what I can find and how much I'm willing to spend. I'm just going to have to check B&J's and see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    It's alright, I'll just keep my eyes open. Going window shopping tomorrow.
    B&J carries the Cedros @ about $90...the one you`ll want is the 65-150#.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

B&J carries both. Go check them out side by side and see what you think. I've got a Trevala but would like to try out a cedros. Anyway, its a great place to check them both out.

I tried the Cedros and broke both of them with in a couple of weeks. The reel seat on one broke and the top guide fell apart. I purchased a ugly stick tiger lite rod and so far it has worked out real good. As far as jigging reels go I have Accurate 655 H's, a couple of 800 Tekota 800 and 1 Avet ML single speed. My favorite reel is the Avet it just feels like it has better response that the Accurate or the Tekota. I have just order thru tackle direct 3 more Tiger Lite rods that are rated for 200lb test line and a 14 oz lure.

Looked at both the Cedros and Trevala today. Like them both, probably would pick the Trevala if price were no issue, but it's almost double the price of the Cedros. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Really liked a mid-range Avet lever-drag reel that would pair up nicely with either.

I dont go on a boat often but needed a halibut rod for a trip this summer and got the Tiger Ugly stik lite.

Try it out at B&J's you'll be impressed at the weight.

If I remember correctly it was a tad lighter than the cedros.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Here's my son jigging the trevala sx setup last friday. It's such a light setup anybody can fish it all day without getting worn out, and it'll handle big fish fine.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

love love LOVE my Trevala. I even spent the extra few bucks for the lifetime, over the counter warranty version. My brother in law liked it so much HE bought one (and leaves it on my boat since he lives in Salt Lake City). Right now I have them mated with big clunky Penn Senators but this winter than changes with Avets. They just seemed better than the Cedros when I was looking them over. And on the water they are amazing - I can feel the vibration of other boats props as they pass by thru my line (PowerPro) if I just place my thumb on the line. I'm going to add a couple more to my boat as I work a few more overtime shifts...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

If you like the trevala with a senator, you'll love it with the avet! Also consider the daiwa line, I have power pro on my older reels, and daiwa on the newer reels and I prefer the daiwa.

If I can talk the wife into the extra money I'll go with the Trevala. It did feel nicer in the store, is thinner all the way to the butt, and has a ton of flexibility with a good action. But, I have to contend with the other half first....lol.

Whatever I get will be mated with a medium-range, lever-drag Avet reel. You just can't go wrong with those reels, and the lever drag is great if you're soaking a salmon head or something. Turn the clicker on, loosen the drag up, and wait. Makes the whole process simple.

I also agree with Pual H. on the line. If B&J still has it, I'll get the Daiwa line. I have that on my silver rods and absolutely love the stuff.

All my "good, reasonable halibut jigging rods" have come from garage sales. All have caught fish. None have lost any, and I have saved beaucoup amounts of cash to spend on bait and gas.

Lots of folks liquidate their Alaska gear when they relocate and sell stuff for a fraction of the original cost. Most of said stuff is in good shape, though the line may have to be replaced on the poles. I picked up a great pole in Homer last Saturday for $20 which must have gone for well over 100 when new.

Some folks will only buy new... I am of the opposite end of the spectrum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast