Thread: Who else drew DC 483 (East Denali hwy caribou tag)?

Default Who else drew DC 483 (East Denali hwy caribou tag)?

I drew DC 483: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...bou&hunt=dc483

I think I'll take the wheeler and head south off the Denali hwy; maybe the Swede Lake trail. Does anyone know if I can I get my wheeler across the Middle Fork Gulkana and into those higher hills to the south (Alphabet hills)? I plan on heading out the end of August or first part of September for a week or so. At this point I'm going solo. If any other tag holders are interested in joining up maybe we could put something together. I'll be looking for a muture bull. Any advice on where to find mature bulls or access routes for this hunt unit would be swell - thanks.

I have that tag also. I plan on hunting South Landmark Gap Trail or Osar (or Oscar) Lake trail from Maclaren Summit. You can most likely make it across the Gulkana, but everything depends on rainfall of course. It's not always passable. Wish our schedules matched up! I'm most likely going to go on the 23rd or 24th when I return to the lodge. Bob will be the designated shooter. That kid loves to hunt, trap and fish! He's pretty excited about it. Let me know if you might come up earlier.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

There will more than likely be an army of people out on the swede lake trail at that time. Lots of moose hunters head out that way. I used to live in paxson and if you can hit it just right you don't need to go far to see lots of bou.

Sounds good Claude - I'll be looking for a photo of Bob with yet another caribou! It won't be long.....good luck.

I drew this tag as well. I was looking at going up there sometime between the 1st and 15th of Sept. since I'm off during that timeframe. I don't have anyone to go with either. I'd be up for making an atv trip in somewhere with somebody. I got my moose Wednesday with my bow, so I'm just poking around looking for a dandy bull 'bou. I was considering atv'ing the Swede lake areas or taking my boat down the Maclaren. Any suggestions for this time of year????

My daughter got drawn. I suppose the Denali in from Paxson, and then off on the ATV's will be necessary. I had some old guy fire close to me back in October when I hunted the special Tier caribou hunt. One of my main goals is to not be involved in a hunting accident.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I also drew a tag in dc483. I have caribou hunted very little, but have moose hunted a fair bit. None was in this area. I have fished at tangle lakes and through paxson before though.

I have heard rumor of atv restrictions. I plan to bring and atv and hunt the south side of the highway. Are there atv restrictions to be aware of? Is there any restricted land access I should avoid?

Thanks,

Rok

Quote Originally Posted by Rokmonanoff View Post
    I have heard rumor of atv restrictions. I plan to bring and atv and hunt the south side of the highway. Are there atv restrictions to be aware of? Is there any restricted land access I should avoid?
    Much of that area is in the Tangle Lakes Archaeological District. Take a look at http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/t...li_trails.html and http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ge.-1.-1.1.gif
    "Your papers are not in order"

thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    Much of that area is in the Tangle Lakes Archaeological District. Take a look at http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/t...li_trails.html and http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ge.-1.-1.1.gif
    I think that just means atvs have to remain on the trail, that's all. Though its probably not that helpful, the Middle Fork was easily forded when I was there, but that was three weeks ago.

Tim

Leaving tonight. I'll let you know how I do. Thanks for the tips.

Rok

I drew this tag this year as well. Took the wheelers up last week for a couple of days and heres my report of the trails we hunted. Osar lake trail: Saw about 10 bou total, all cows and calves. Landmark gap: 0 caribou. Heard many reports of high numbers of bou funneling out of the gap, but we came up empty when we hunted it. Glacier lake/7mile trail: Saw high numbers of bou, pretty much all cows and calves in small groups of 3-7 scattered all up and down glacier gap. I ended up taking a nice little 3-4 year old meat bull to fill my tag. We were up the denali for 2.5 days and probably saw 100+ bou, no good sized bulls and the bull i shot was one of only 2 bulls we saw the whole time. Talked to a few guys up there also who had been seeing high numbers, just no bulls. Good luck to anyone heading up there.

Thanks for the report. I'll be out there around Sept 10-20 looking for the big one. Since I've never ridden the wheeler in that country there will be a lot of exploring for me. Was wondering if those hills on the south side of the M. Fork Gulkana would hold some bulls? Good luck to all.

U don't know if I have bad luck or bad timing, but no bou.

I rode the Swede Lake trail all the way into the Gulkana. No bou, but lots of bear scat. They are eating berries of course. I tried to take the South Landmark Gap trail in, but a beaver has built a dam recently that has turned the trail into a river about 1/10 mile into the trail, so I have no idea because I turned around since my wheeler was not equipped to float. I had intention of checking out Osar Lake trail but never made it due to flat tire/etc.

I went back out on the Swede Lake trail and set up high above the Little Swede Lake, again didn't see anything. I heard shots to the North side of the highway while I was there though.

Driving out, I pulled off about mile 7 and talked to a lady whose husband had just gotten out of the truck 10 min before to follow about 6 bou, 1 a bull, into the brush. By the time we got talking, he came back and said it was nothing worth shooting.

I heard rumors about a bunch of bou near Paxson, but I didn't see any.

I'll keep checking the hotline to listen for when they say the herd comes together, then go back up.

Rok

I have the same report as dpops211. Saw cows and calves at a lot of various locatioins between Paxson and the Mclaren River. There were no large bulls to be found. We camped near at the Swede Lake trailhead and road trolled and took mile+ hikes trying to find something with some respectible antlers, but nothing. Last night, before hitting the cot I decided to lower my standards and get some meat in the freezer....so I shot the only bull we found today. He was a small one but he will make in to some fine italian sausage. There were not many hunters out. Osar Lake Trail parking area didnt have many nor did Swede Lake.

Just by reading through this thread I think some people may be confused. Even if you drew the DC 483 caribou tag, you can now hunt anywhere in unit 13. The original boundaries (East Denali hwy) have all been combined and you can now hunt anywhere you can find a caribou. Most people have been having more luck around Eureka. You may have some more luck there, and it's a little closer to most of you.

Here is a link to the original emergency order from ADFG. Again, they have combined all caribou hunting areas and you can now hunt anywhere in unit 13. Best of luck to you. ~907~
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr07312012

Date check.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Just by reading through this thread I think some people may be confused. Even if you drew the DC 483 caribou tag, you can now hunt anywhere in unit 13. The original boundaries (East Denali hwy) have all been combined and you can now hunt anywhere you can find a caribou. Most people have been having more luck around Eureka. You may have some more luck there, and it's a little closer to most of you.

Here is a link to the original emergency order from ADFG. Again, they have combined all caribou hunting areas and you can now hunt anywhere in unit 13. Best of luck to you. ~907~
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr07312012
    This thread was from 2011, when the GMU's were still in play.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Date check.
    OOPS!!! I found this in the "New Posts" section and just figured it was from this year. I also saw that the guy just before me had just posted his comment. Lesson learned.