Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: packrafts

Default packrafts

can anybody out there share some of their experiences with packrafts? looking into getting one and will primarily be using it for high country lake fishing/travel and some river fishing/travel. i'm just over 6' about 200lbs and am looking for the right raft. want something durable enough to take on some rocky rivers, but not so much in whitewater. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    chris

what are you waiting for, summer's winding down.
    seriously, they are great boats, really opens up new adventures.
    for all things packraft check out http://packrafting.org/forums/

"what are you waiting for"

about 1500 bucks, lessin' you're the generous type? thanks for the info.

yeah, there is a little sticker shock associated, but i look at it as costing one-quarter of what my cataraft cost, and i get way more use out of the packraft, seeing as it lives in my truck, at the ready.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gilliland440?feature=mhee

I bought 2 for xmas last year for my wife and I and we have had a blast w/ them all summer long. Check out some of the videos I made on youtube.
    -JR

I have the Alpacka Denali Llama and it is perfect for the uses you're describing. I'm also 6' tall, and it works well for me. For whitewater I'd probably want the next smaller model (the Yukon Yak) since it would fit me perfectly (it's nice to be able to push your feet up against the end in swift water), but I like the extra few inches in my Llama so that I can pack in a bit more gear. Tying your pack on the top is actually ideal, but if I am successful hunting in my raft I'd like to be able to stow a meat bag in the raft with me in addition to the pack on top. As is, I just put a few things in the pack to push against, and that works nicely. There are a few other companies out there that make quality rafts, but I'm still convinced that Alpacka leads the pack (no pun intended). Great product and great customer service. As an aside, spend the extra money on the spray skirt. I wouldn't own a packraft without one.

Hey Brian-- Just wondering, since you seem to know so much about pacrafts, have you ever tried out anything other than the ALPACKA??

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Hey Brian-- Just wondering, since you seem to know so much about pacrafts, have you ever tried out anything other than the ALPACKA??
    Not speaking for Brian here, but this one has been leveled at me in the past. I came to terms with it when I realized that there is no way I would, could, or would even want to try each item before venturing an opinion on it. I believe you get to a point where you know enough to make an intelligent decision and to advise others to an extent, without having to personally try every boat on the market. Same goes with tents, guns, fishing rods, boats, outboards, etc, etc. Otherwise, we'd all be broke.

That said, there's always room for learning new things. I'm up for that for sure!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Hey Mike and Brian-- If interested at all to put a more personal perspective on recommending one product over another -- feel free to contact me for a demo for both the self-bailing and skirted pac-raft, as well as the other rafts that I personally prefer.
    As I always say "you won't know if you don't go".
    Respectfully,
    Goo

I have a Denali llama with the spray deck too and its a fine craft for someone your weight/size.

Goo - Thanks for the offer of trying out other boats. I might take you up on that. I have considered replacing our boats with the newer style Alpacka (though we'll probably just keep 'em unless I could get a good price), but I suppose surveying the market a bit more fully would be a good idea before we did.

Never claimed to know so much about packrafts. I only speak about that which I know, which is the Alpacka brand. I've read about the other boats and have looked at their features and such. I don't speak ill of the other craft, but I've been so absolutely pleased with the Alpacka boats and the company that I'm happy to recommend them. As for self-bailing and undecked boats, those seem to make a lot of sense for folks that boat in whitewater. I've been in some splashy stuff, but like the original poster, I mainly float flat water and use my boat as a way to get from point A to point B. The idea of hitting some whitewater in a packraft intrigues me, though, and I'd certainly consider a self-bailer if I go that route.

Thanks Brian, the offer stands, if you want to test out any of my equipment. I too love the ALPACKA, which I sold in Australia a few years ago, as I did love my first SHERPA pac-raft back in the 70's. It's just the gear keep evolving and getting better-- "another brick in the wall". Just another option and opinion.
    Cheers and safe boating.
    Goo

goo, have noticed you standing firmly behind the baylee rafts lately. im in an alpaca but my partner doesnt have a boat yet. i love my alpaca ('11 model) but i would like to demo the baylee as well before we purchase a second boat.

i have an alpacka yukon yak and love it. there are def. other brands to choose from, but in my exp., alpacka is the gold standard. great company, great service, great product. take care, abel6wt

thanks to everyone. alpacka seems to be the way to go. thanks again.

Default Great choice

The Alpacka is the lightest, is very reliable, it is perfect for your needs, and you will love it.

Hey Mark --My offer still stands for a demo on my new self-bailing - six chamber- 2012 FEATHERCRAFT pac-raft. With the thigh straps, she feels like playing in a big lifejacket that weighs less than 10#. Again-- "you wont know if you don't go" -
    Goo
    907-345-4308

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I have considered replacing our boats with the newer style Alpacka (though we'll probably just keep 'em unless I could get a good price)
    What are the differences between the older and newer style Alpackas?

Default 2012 feathercraft

Hey Goo! Thanks. My friend Jim has a feathercraft that I got to try, and I loved it, check John's utube. I assume there is a difference in models, based on your message, and yes I will try it. I will call and work out the details when I can confirm a trip with my little buddies.
    I did not mean, when I told CRMCD79 that an alpacka was the best choice, just one that would work. In my mind the jurys still out with the packrafts, but like most other boats I have used, I will probably wish I could blend features, or just have more than one boat.
    I'll be in touch,depending on water levels,Carpenter, Coal , or Kings this weekend... maybe even that nasty Granite Creek drop.

Now worries mate, Just wanted your opinion. Let me know.
    Goo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast