Thread: August Snow! Denali Highway... and Bear Cat info.

Default August Snow! Denali Highway... and Bear Cat info.

So, I have to leave the lodge around Aug 6th. On the drive out, I noticed snow hitting the windshield! It didn't stick at our level but did just a couple of hundred feet above the lodge! All indications are a very early winter this year, that I'm super excited about! Anyhow, I know a new snow machine is on the list for me, and all indications are buying a Bear Cat from Mountain Magic. Just wanted to see if anyone had any new updates about this machine. Actual mileage and reliability, before I make the purchase.

Thanks!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Don't forget to get a hitch put on 'er ;-)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Cool Willow Trail Comm. Just Got One!!!!

So we just pick up one from ERPAC in Eagle River, plug in block heater, and batter charger, scratchers, extra bags, radater kit, and gearing down kit.
    We will take out some bumps with this one!!!!
    These things pull like a tank. Take at least 2 sleds at a time for what you are doing and load them. I seen guys tow 6 barrels up river last season no problem!
    Just get it. You will not be sorry!
    Just by itself you should get after break in at least 18 mpg. And I will get 8-9 mpg pulling our big drag.
    One of the best for ride and will last! And you got a great dealer to take good care of you!
    We still like our Yamaha VK's. You can cook your lunch under the seat when pulling a drag.
    Take Care!
    Hope to get time to see you next season.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default Arctic Cat Bearcat Z1 XT Groomer Special

I just found my sled! Was looking around, and I hadn't even heard of such a machine as this: http://www.eagleriverpolaris.com/sho...Type=1507&fm=1

I'm calling in the morning to get one on the way. Your guys input is appreciated! What do you think of this machine in the link??

Claude

I have the 2 stroke. I know 2 guys with the 4 strokes and I ain't sold on them yet. Till they figure out how to start them at 30 below.
    Tim

Mit,
    I thought about that, and have heard it both ways. I figure since my main use will be running from Cantwell to 67 miles into my place, I can plug it in or keep it warm somewhow on either end. I really hate the idea of not having a pull cord.... I wonder if you can pull start them??

The two guys with the four strokes both have auto starts on them. The factory one has not worked worth a darn. One guy went to auto trim and had a hi dollar one installed that last I heard worked good. There is no way to start them with out a starter or a battery.
    The starter and ring gear have been a weak spot on the 2 stokes. I have been out remote with my buddy and his 4 stroke carry a Honda generator. We had a long thread about Bearcats last winter. Might work just fine out on the Denali. I do like the way the 4 stoke rides and the power they have is nice.
    Tim

I have a 2007 with the 570 fan and get roughly 10-11mg when it is +20* F. When it drops below that it will go to +14 mpg, but I have never looked at mileage as a selling point for a machine. I look at what I want it to do and go from there.

As for reliability: I had the upper jackshaft bearing shatter at 25 miles, and I've replaced two speedo keys. My machine currently has 5000 miles on it. Original belt and sliders!! That's reliable.

I would like to add: The fellow here in Bethel who works on AC products for Alaska Commercial used to own a dealership and has been wrenching on Cats for +30 years. He told me he'd never seen a bearing fail like mine did. And the bearing failed spectacularly; it was in many tiny pieces. If that hadn't happened, I would have had nothing done to this machine besides normal, common sense maintenance that everyone does. I will buy another Cat.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

In for a penny, in for a pound, Claude I am buying Dave's demo XT Bearcat. I did happen to put half the miles on it last winter anyway. Comes with a waranty and a good discount, but it still hurts the wallet. I love the power and will accept the weight issues..kinda like owning a diesel 4wd truck. Definately will be seeing you at the lodge this winter.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Get the machine Claude you will not be sorry.....now if I can ever figure how to get me out to the lodge this winter. Already the family has some long range plans that do not include riding. Hunting season is out too, as another oppurtunity has come my way for a special hunt.