Thread: which scope

Default which scope

Rem. 300 ultra mag. which scope you mount on this rilfe.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

one with good eye relief. i would say with the long range shooting that gun is capable of a fairly high power scope. no less than a 3.5 x 10 i would go higher than that though for some long range target shooting. fun guns to shoot but not cheap. im a fan of the leupold vx 3 scope but there are better out there.

If I had one of those "powder kegs" I would put a Leupold VX III 3.5 x 10 by 40mm or one of their 4.5 x 14 scopes on it with one of those fancy reticles in it like Premier Reticles used to do. Then I would cut a doughnut out of a inner tube and super glue it over my eye for extra protection!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Rem. 300 ultra mag. which scope you mount on this rilfe.
    It's about impossible to beat 3-9 (3.5-10) magnification for a big game rifle. For a specific recommendation I'd lean towards a Leupold VX-3 (3.5-10X40) or a Zeiss Conquest (3-9X40). I own several of each and there isn't a lot to choose between them. The Zeiss is a couple of ounces heavier but has constant eye relief at all magnifications. The Leupold is a very fine scope which is easily equipped with M1 or CDS turrets, provides ample eye relief and holds its value extremely well. Both are durable, good quality scopes and should serve you well.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Burris 6X with the 40mm objective lense.

I just bought some luminated reticle scopes, and would very much like to have all of my scopes be Leupold VX-R series scopes. I plan to put the VX-R 4-12X40 with the BFD reticle on my .300 RUM Winchester M-70

I'm running a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle on my 300 RUM.

I think im going with Swarovski Z3 3.51042 with BRX reticle. There on sale at cabelas...

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I found a nice jump in accuracy from my 3.5x10x50 zeiss (not a bad scope at all) to my 4.5x14x50 zeiss with the rapidz 800 reticle. I figured the silly thing is to make long shots with, so I might as well have a long range scope. I like the zeiss scopes for the eye relief and the eye piece is plastic and not as sharp as the leupold, less of a cut, more of a bruise. Still sucks to get scoped though. How much money are you willing to spend?

At first I just had the regular zplex reticle at 10x. The RUM is flat shooting enough that I just put the x on fur to 300 yards and let fly. I want to try long range shooting for fun and maybe game if it works out so I have the bigger power scope now. If you don't plan to shoot over 300 yards and are not an accuracy nut, then the 9 or 10x scopes will be great. Smaller groups and longer shots work better with a bigger scope. You lose some of your field of view close though. Something to consider is if there is a critter 25 yards away, can you see to shoot it or do you have to run backwards 50 yards to make out the vitals through the lowest 6x setting of your scope.

AkMike,

I too have a 300 ultra mag and I put a Nikon Monarch BDC (3x12x42) reticle on it and after spending some time at the range, I'm a believer. I have to say that I'm very impressed with the Nikon Spot On Technology website. If you have an accurate MV then you can really take advantage of this resource.
    Last Saturday I took her to the range and was able to stretch her out to 600 yards and I put two in a 10" circle. I'm sure others can probably do better but for an average guy with little long distance shooting experience, this scope really makes it easy.
    The scope has nice eye relief, however if you get too close the rubber around the outter edge of the scope really helps out.

Hope this helps,
    Richie

Vortex or Trijicon.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

The Meopta Meopro is an excellent value scope. What? Swarovski? Never mind...

On my .308 and .340 Wby, I put the Bushnell Elilte 6500 2.5-16X 50mm. Large scope, but gives you quite a range with good optical quality. It has handled the .340 recoil with no problems. On my 375 Wby, I also mounted a Bushnell Elilte 6500, but a 1.25-8X 32mm version. Like them all, especially for the value.

The last one has almost 6" of eye relief.

And the Near Mfg bases lock them into place well: