Thread: Kicker size

Default Kicker size

So I want to pick up a kicker as a spare on my 20' Wooldridge Sport.
    Would a 6Hp be enough to get a feller home? Any recomendations as far as Hp?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Would it get you home?
    Depends, are you running any current areas Ted?
    I have and 18' Fisher and when I repower it in 2013 it will be getting a 9.9 kicker.
    The 6 will work but it will be very slow and you could be in trouble in crappy weather.
    A 9.9 on your boat will probably get you up in the 8-10 mph range at WOT which is reasonable and you can get back to the launch in decent time. With a 6 you would probably lose 2 or 3 mph.
    If you just want a kicker for trolling I would go with the 6. For peace of mind go with a 9.9-15 hp for trolling and getting home if the main motor has issues.

I would look at a 9.9 minimum .
    In dead calm water the 6 would move you fine but get in a river or a tide change and you might be going backwards.

hi yukoner, i have a 20' northwest jet, with a 5hp honda kicker. its worked well for trolling on a calm day, but if you involve wind and current it gets tricky quick. ive had to use it to limp home once or twice as well, took a long time going up river. but its what i had laying around and id rather of had it than nothing at all. my biggest problem with it is that its a short shaft, and im not able to get in the water far enough. (fixed welded kicker bracket). not sure if you have an adjustable height kicker bracket, but make sure you get a motor with a long enuff shaft. with all honesty, your gonna want an 8 or 9.9 kicker, at least thats what i plan to upgrade to. not sure if theres a big price difference between the 8 and 9.9, if so id just get the 8 and be happy, if they are closely priced id get the 9.9. but most importantly make sure you get that prop down low enuff, or you just get to make alot of noise and frosty water, or bring a bunch of friends to sit on the back of your boat to try to bring the stern down low enuff, lol

Thanks gents
    Any idea if I would need a 20" or a 25" shaft? The main engine is a 20" shaft with jet pump.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I would say 20" but I would be asking the dealer just to make sure.
    It really depends on how much vee you have in the bottom.

We have a 21' Custom Weld inboard jet and had a 5 hp 2 stroke kicker(20 inch shaft) on it last year......it could move the boat but it was slow going. We replaced it with a Suzuki 9.9 high thrust Xrta long shaft and I could not be happier. We use it alot for fishing stuff and no doubt hunting this fall. As far as speed I have had it around 6-7 mph, above that the boat starts plowing lots of water (hull speed ?). It is a bit heavy but the power tilt is fast and nice to have. Same with the electric start to charge batteries and it already has a built in recoil starter rope. The reason I went with the 25" shaft is others I have talked to said they seem to work better in rough water and in reverse with more prop below the hull. Hope this helps!

NERKA71 nailed it.

Default Yamaha T8 or equivalent

I have the same boat with a 25" long shaft Yamaha T8.
    It pushes to hull speed with full main and kicker tanks, a couple guys and day gear at just over half throttle.
    any kicker not big enough to put you up on step will only push you to hull speed (about 6 mph)
    the bigger kickers will be able to push you to hull speed with more weight, into a head wind, etc...
    I think the T8 is perfect for your boat.
    hull speed is often slower than ocean wave speed, so a following sea can catch up and pass you (not good)
    having said that, I saw a guy with a 25HP tiller kicker on a 25 ft Wooldridge hard top inboard jet coming back into Seward against a north wind with solid 5 foot steep wind waves (small craft advisory). if he was in the same as following seas he probably would have been rolled.............
    highly recomend electric start, power tilt, remote control with tie rod to main engine so you can drive from the front.
    separate battery and fuel tank also recommended for full independent backup. I have mine rigged so I can easilly connect my main to the 12.5 gallon kicker tank for more range if needed.
    I think the Honda and Mercury versions of same engine have a readilly accesible pull start also v.s. the Yamaha with the stupid design requiring you to remove the cover, wrap and pull the rope..............nothing I want to deal with in an emergency, other than that, the T8 is great.

do a search, I have a past post that photos of my install

lil off the subject, but anyone know how you can link an inboard jet to the kicker motor to steer from the front? 20 aluminum inboard jet, with welded kicker bracket on the port side.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenmag View Post
    lil off the subject, but anyone know how you can link an inboard jet to the kicker motor to steer from the front? 20 aluminum inboard jet, with welded kicker bracket on the port side.
    You might be able to custom fab something but out of the box you could go with a Trollmaster III and Panther T4 or Panther Electra Steer unit.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104473080

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104602680