Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Weather

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greer, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    59

    Default Weather

    We fly up this Wednesday so I have started looking at extended weather forecasts but need some help. What should I expect when it says "showers" for the next ten days? Short downpours, washouts, you are going to need a raincoat, sprinkles, etc...thanks.

  2. #2
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Showers here are the same as anywhere else when the weather service says it. Anything from 70 and clear to 1/2 an hour of rain. Bring your rain coat and your tank top.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  3. #3
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    "You know what they say about weather in Alaska, if you don't like it, just wait...."

    Shet.


    Saying is so cheesy I can't say it all.



    But it is true. Can be pretty and all one minute, then rain like hell.


    40 minutes later, bluebird skies.


    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.


    A good lightweight rain jacket (or wading jacket) and a ball cap will do much good.


    Nice boots are a plus of course.


    My personal suggestion, a t-shirt, lightweight long sleeve fleece shirt on top, and a wading jacket over that if need be.

    Alaska Fly Fishing Goods baseball cap of course. Either in jeans with boots or waders and wading boots, this basic outfit covers much ground.

    If the above items have Simm's on them, all the better. Kidding. But they do make incredible stuff.


    This is a very versatile and simple set up.


    It is summer man, you don't have much to worry about.


    Doubt you are sweet enough to melt


    ha ha...


    Check out the trip planner feature on Wunderground site.

    We use it when planning float trips and such.


    Great way to see weather data averages for a specific area.



    Here is the "trip planner" for Valdez with Aug 20-28 dates entered...







    Historical Summary for August 20 - August 28
    Temperature:
    The Average High Temperature is 57 F with a historical range of 46 F to 78 F
    The Average Low Temperature is 45 F with a historical range of 37 F to 57 F
    There is a 0% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90F / 32C).
    (0 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
    There is a 32% chance of a Warm Day (temperature over 60F / 16C).
    (41 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 5
    There is a 0% chance of a Freezing Day (temperature below 32F / 0C).
    (0 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0

    Daily Precipitation:
    The Average Daily Precipitation is 0.62 with a historical range of 0.00 to 19.84
    There is a 4% chance of a Precipitation Day.
    (5 days out of 129 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 2

    Cloud Cover:
    Average Cloud Cover is mostly cloudy
    There is a 71% chance of a Cloudy Day.
    (91 days out of 129 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 8

    Wind:
    The Average Wind is 2 mph with a historical range of 0 mph to 10 mph
    There is a 0% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph / 15km/h).
    (0 days out of 129 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0

    Humidity:
    The Average High Dew Point is 49 F with a historical range of 41 F to 54 F
    The Average Low Dew Point is 42 F with a historical range of 30 F to 48 F
    There is a 0% chance of a Humid Day (dew point over 60F / 16C).
    (0 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0

    Daily Observations
    2010 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2010/8/20 60 53 46 48 45 39 87 74 63 29.88 29.86 29.83 10 10 10 15 4 - 0.00
    2010/8/21 57 52 48 50 46 41 88 79 67 29.88 29.86 29.85 10 9 7 10 4 - 0.00
    2010/8/22 57 52 48 50 47 43 88 82 72 29.92 29.88 29.86 10 9 3 7 3 - 0.00
    2010/8/23 62 52 42 48 43 37 87 73 59 29.97 29.94 29.91 10 10 10 9 3 - 0.00
    2010/8/24 71 58 46 46 40 34 87 57 27 30.01 29.99 29.95 10 10 10 18 4 28 0.00
    2010/8/25 68 55 42 46 42 36 82 67 43 29.97 29.92 29.85 10 10 10 8 2 - 0.00
    2010/8/26 59 50 42 48 42 36 82 75 67 29.88 29.86 29.85 10 10 10 14 3 17 0.00
    2010/8/27 53 50 48 48 46 45 88 83 77 30.03 29.97 29.90 10 8 3 6 2 - 0.00
    2010/8/28 51 50 48 48 46 45 93 85 82 30.02 29.94 29.83 10 5 1 5 0 - 0.00
    2009 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2009/8/20 66 55 44 46 42 36 100 57 37 29.90 29.80 29.74 10 10 5 16 5 32 0.00
    2009/8/21 60 54 48 54 50 46 100 87 72 29.85 29.81 29.79 15 9 1 6 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/22 57 52 48 54 51 46 100 95 88 29.86 29.80 29.73 10 4 1 10 3 - 0.00
    2009/8/23 51 50 48 52 49 48 100 94 88 29.75 29.73 29.71 10 9 5 6 3 - 0.00
    2009/8/24 53 48 44 50 46 43 100 93 77 29.77 29.66 29.53 10 8 3 5 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/25 55 50 44 50 46 43 100 89 72 29.71 29.56 29.52 10 9 5 6 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/26 53 50 46 52 47 43 100 92 87 29.96 29.87 29.71 10 9 6 7 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/27 55 48 41 52 47 39 100 90 82 29.97 29.73 29.53 20 10 1 8 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/28 55 52 48 52 50 46 100 95 82 29.74 29.61 29.48 10 8 4 8 1 - 0.00
    2008 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2008/8/20 64 56 48 52 48 46 94 76 55 29.56 29.53 29.50 10 10 8 6 1 - 0.00
    2008/8/21 55 52 48 54 49 45 100 92 87 29.67 29.63 29.59 10 7 1 6 2 - 0.00
    2008/8/22 57 52 46 52 47 45 94 86 72 29.69 29.63 29.53 10 9 1 9 3 - 0.00
    2008/8/23 57 52 48 52 48 45 100 87 72 29.60 29.56 29.47 10 9 3 9 2 - 0.00
    2008/8/24 55 50 46 50 47 43 100 89 77 29.40 29.29 29.22 10 8 2 9 2 - 0.00 Rain
    2008/8/25 53 50 48 48 47 46 94 87 77 29.51 29.48 29.43 10 9 5 12 3 - 0.00
    2008/8/26 53 48 44 48 46 43 93 88 82 29.56 29.52 29.49 10 8 4 13 3 - 0.00
    2008/8/27 55 50 44 48 46 43 94 87 72 29.62 29.58 29.56 10 9 5 7 4 - 0.00
    2008/8/28 53 50 46 52 47 43 100 91 82 29.81 29.75 29.68 10 6 1 7 3 - 0.00
    2007 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2007/8/20 55 52 48 54 49 45 94 89 76 29.87 29.82 29.76 10 10 7 5 1 - 0.02
    2007/8/21 55 50 46 54 49 45 94 90 82 30.06 29.98 29.90 10 9 4 5 1 - 0.13
    2007/8/22 55 52 48 52 49 45 94 91 82 30.16 30.14 30.09 10 8 3 5 1 - 19.84
    2007/8/23 53 50 46 52 47 41 100 91 81 30.06 29.88 29.71 10 7 0 6 1 - 9.95
    2007/8/24 62 54 46 48 46 43 100 80 55 29.72 29.70 29.69 10 9 0 12 3 - 0.00
    2007/8/25 62 53 44 48 45 39 93 75 55 29.83 29.80 29.76 10 10 10 13 4 - 0.00
    2007/8/26 57 50 44 50 46 39 88 79 67 30.00 29.93 29.87 10 10 8 7 3 - 0.00
    2007/8/27 60 54 48 50 46 43 93 77 63 30.05 30.04 30.03 10 10 10 8 3 - 9.87
    2007/8/28 64 53 42 46 43 39 93 72 48 30.05 29.95 29.80 10 10 10 7 3 - 0.00
    2006 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2006/8/20 48 46 44 46 45 45 100 95 87 29.87 29.75 29.67 10 6 2 6 1 - 1.66
    2006/8/21 57 50 44 48 46 43 100 86 63 29.97 29.80 29.66 10 8 3 7 2 - 16.33
    2006/8/22 50 48 46 48 46 43 100 93 82 30.01 29.97 29.89 10 7 4 6 2 - 0.59
    2006/8/23 57 50 44 48 45 43 100 86 63 30.00 29.97 29.91 10 10 6 7 1 - 0.03
    2006/8/24 51 48 46 48 47 43 100 92 82 30.03 29.92 29.70 10 8 4 6 2 - 0.24
    2006/8/25 51 48 46 50 46 43 100 93 87 29.72 29.58 29.52 10 8 1 6 1 - 0.18
    2006/8/26 51 48 44 48 46 43 100 93 87 29.98 29.94 29.84 10 9 6 5 1 - 0.00
    2006/8/27 57 50 42 46 44 39 100 82 59 30.00 29.93 29.82 10 10 8 6 2 - 0.00
    2006/8/28 60 50 39 50 44 37 93 83 63 29.80 29.79 29.77 10 10 10 15 2 - 8.36



    http://www.wunderground.com/history/...atename=Alaska
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    "You know what they say about weather in Alaska, if you don't like it, just wait...."

    Shet.


    Saying is so cheesy I can't say it all.



    But it is true. Can be pretty and all one minute, then rain like hell.


    40 minutes later, bluebird skies.


    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.


    A good lightweight rain jacket (or wading jacket) and a ball cap will do much good.


    Nice boots are a plus of course.


    My personal suggestion, a t-shirt, lightweight long sleeve fleece shirt on top, and a wading jacket over that if need be.

    Alaska Fly Fishing Goods baseball cap of course. Either in jeans with boots or waders and wading boots, this basic outfit covers much ground.

    If the above items have Simm's on them, all the better. Kidding. But they do make incredible stuff.


    This is a very versatile and simple set up.


    It is summer man, you don't have much to worry about.


    Doubt you are sweet enough to melt


    ha ha...


    Check out the trip planner feature on Wunderground site.

    We use it when planning float trips and such.


    Great way to see weather data averages for a specific area.



    Here is the "trip planner" for Valdez with Aug 20-28 dates entered...







    Historical Summary for August 20 - August 28
    Temperature:
    The Average High Temperature is 57 F with a historical range of 46 F to 78 F
    The Average Low Temperature is 45 F with a historical range of 37 F to 57 F
    There is a 0% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90F / 32C).
    (0 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
    There is a 32% chance of a Warm Day (temperature over 60F / 16C).
    (41 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 5
    There is a 0% chance of a Freezing Day (temperature below 32F / 0C).
    (0 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0

    Daily Precipitation:
    The Average Daily Precipitation is 0.62 with a historical range of 0.00 to 19.84
    There is a 4% chance of a Precipitation Day.
    (5 days out of 129 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 2

    Cloud Cover:
    Average Cloud Cover is mostly cloudy
    There is a 71% chance of a Cloudy Day.
    (91 days out of 129 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 8

    Wind:
    The Average Wind is 2 mph with a historical range of 0 mph to 10 mph
    There is a 0% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph / 15km/h).
    (0 days out of 129 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0

    Humidity:
    The Average High Dew Point is 49 F with a historical range of 41 F to 54 F
    The Average Low Dew Point is 42 F with a historical range of 30 F to 48 F
    There is a 0% chance of a Humid Day (dew point over 60F / 16C).
    (0 days out of 127 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0

    Daily Observations
    2010 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2010/8/20 60 53 46 48 45 39 87 74 63 29.88 29.86 29.83 10 10 10 15 4 - 0.00
    2010/8/21 57 52 48 50 46 41 88 79 67 29.88 29.86 29.85 10 9 7 10 4 - 0.00
    2010/8/22 57 52 48 50 47 43 88 82 72 29.92 29.88 29.86 10 9 3 7 3 - 0.00
    2010/8/23 62 52 42 48 43 37 87 73 59 29.97 29.94 29.91 10 10 10 9 3 - 0.00
    2010/8/24 71 58 46 46 40 34 87 57 27 30.01 29.99 29.95 10 10 10 18 4 28 0.00
    2010/8/25 68 55 42 46 42 36 82 67 43 29.97 29.92 29.85 10 10 10 8 2 - 0.00
    2010/8/26 59 50 42 48 42 36 82 75 67 29.88 29.86 29.85 10 10 10 14 3 17 0.00
    2010/8/27 53 50 48 48 46 45 88 83 77 30.03 29.97 29.90 10 8 3 6 2 - 0.00
    2010/8/28 51 50 48 48 46 45 93 85 82 30.02 29.94 29.83 10 5 1 5 0 - 0.00
    2009 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2009/8/20 66 55 44 46 42 36 100 57 37 29.90 29.80 29.74 10 10 5 16 5 32 0.00
    2009/8/21 60 54 48 54 50 46 100 87 72 29.85 29.81 29.79 15 9 1 6 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/22 57 52 48 54 51 46 100 95 88 29.86 29.80 29.73 10 4 1 10 3 - 0.00
    2009/8/23 51 50 48 52 49 48 100 94 88 29.75 29.73 29.71 10 9 5 6 3 - 0.00
    2009/8/24 53 48 44 50 46 43 100 93 77 29.77 29.66 29.53 10 8 3 5 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/25 55 50 44 50 46 43 100 89 72 29.71 29.56 29.52 10 9 5 6 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/26 53 50 46 52 47 43 100 92 87 29.96 29.87 29.71 10 9 6 7 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/27 55 48 41 52 47 39 100 90 82 29.97 29.73 29.53 20 10 1 8 2 - 0.00
    2009/8/28 55 52 48 52 50 46 100 95 82 29.74 29.61 29.48 10 8 4 8 1 - 0.00
    2008 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2008/8/20 64 56 48 52 48 46 94 76 55 29.56 29.53 29.50 10 10 8 6 1 - 0.00
    2008/8/21 55 52 48 54 49 45 100 92 87 29.67 29.63 29.59 10 7 1 6 2 - 0.00
    2008/8/22 57 52 46 52 47 45 94 86 72 29.69 29.63 29.53 10 9 1 9 3 - 0.00
    2008/8/23 57 52 48 52 48 45 100 87 72 29.60 29.56 29.47 10 9 3 9 2 - 0.00
    2008/8/24 55 50 46 50 47 43 100 89 77 29.40 29.29 29.22 10 8 2 9 2 - 0.00 Rain
    2008/8/25 53 50 48 48 47 46 94 87 77 29.51 29.48 29.43 10 9 5 12 3 - 0.00
    2008/8/26 53 48 44 48 46 43 93 88 82 29.56 29.52 29.49 10 8 4 13 3 - 0.00
    2008/8/27 55 50 44 48 46 43 94 87 72 29.62 29.58 29.56 10 9 5 7 4 - 0.00
    2008/8/28 53 50 46 52 47 43 100 91 82 29.81 29.75 29.68 10 6 1 7 3 - 0.00
    2007 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2007/8/20 55 52 48 54 49 45 94 89 76 29.87 29.82 29.76 10 10 7 5 1 - 0.02
    2007/8/21 55 50 46 54 49 45 94 90 82 30.06 29.98 29.90 10 9 4 5 1 - 0.13
    2007/8/22 55 52 48 52 49 45 94 91 82 30.16 30.14 30.09 10 8 3 5 1 - 19.84
    2007/8/23 53 50 46 52 47 41 100 91 81 30.06 29.88 29.71 10 7 0 6 1 - 9.95
    2007/8/24 62 54 46 48 46 43 100 80 55 29.72 29.70 29.69 10 9 0 12 3 - 0.00
    2007/8/25 62 53 44 48 45 39 93 75 55 29.83 29.80 29.76 10 10 10 13 4 - 0.00
    2007/8/26 57 50 44 50 46 39 88 79 67 30.00 29.93 29.87 10 10 8 7 3 - 0.00
    2007/8/27 60 54 48 50 46 43 93 77 63 30.05 30.04 30.03 10 10 10 8 3 - 9.87
    2007/8/28 64 53 42 46 43 39 93 72 48 30.05 29.95 29.80 10 10 10 7 3 - 0.00
    2006 Temp. (F) Dew Point (F) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (in) Visibility (mph>) Wind (mph) Precip. (in) Events
    Aug high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg low high avg high sum
    2006/8/20 48 46 44 46 45 45 100 95 87 29.87 29.75 29.67 10 6 2 6 1 - 1.66
    2006/8/21 57 50 44 48 46 43 100 86 63 29.97 29.80 29.66 10 8 3 7 2 - 16.33
    2006/8/22 50 48 46 48 46 43 100 93 82 30.01 29.97 29.89 10 7 4 6 2 - 0.59
    2006/8/23 57 50 44 48 45 43 100 86 63 30.00 29.97 29.91 10 10 6 7 1 - 0.03
    2006/8/24 51 48 46 48 47 43 100 92 82 30.03 29.92 29.70 10 8 4 6 2 - 0.24
    2006/8/25 51 48 46 50 46 43 100 93 87 29.72 29.58 29.52 10 8 1 6 1 - 0.18
    2006/8/26 51 48 44 48 46 43 100 93 87 29.98 29.94 29.84 10 9 6 5 1 - 0.00
    2006/8/27 57 50 42 46 44 39 100 82 59 30.00 29.93 29.82 10 10 8 6 2 - 0.00
    2006/8/28 60 50 39 50 44 37 93 83 63 29.80 29.79 29.77 10 10 10 15 2 - 8.36



    http://www.wunderground.com/history/...atename=Alaska
    Man - you either gotta get a LIFE - or move up here so you got something to do (read FISH) other than do this internet shet.
    Obviously between jobs w/nothing to fish for.


    Usual daily forcast on the news hour: "Partly cloudy (may subsitute: "partly sunny"), highs between 50* - 70*, chance of showers."
    That phrase covers 90% of the weather forcasts for the Anchorage area, from May through September.
    Expext & be prepared for rain, then anything else is icing.

  5. #5
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    ha ha..

    Looks like I spend more time here than I do. I type fast.


    Fully employed and fished twice this week. This month I have been catching smallmouth in mountain rivers and flounder (fluke) and bluefish in the ocean. Been doing lots of saltwater kayak fishing here in NC. Too hot for much else. Looking forward to getting up your way soon. Come down to Palooza if you find the time or interest.


    Got some new kayaks recently that make it easier to stand and fly fish from. Freedom Hawks are the name. They have outriggers you deploy by raising a lever. Slick as a handrail in a whore house.






    -Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  6. #6
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post


    Got some new kayaks recently that make it easier to stand and fly fish from. Freedom Hawks are the name. They have outriggers you deploy by raising a lever. Slick as a handrail in a whore house.






    -Dan

    There's somethin' dern near pornographic about that pic...
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  7. #7
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    There's somethin' dern near pornographic about that pic...
    That and I'd pay money in a theater to see Dan standing up in that thing going down the Kenai river.
    Watch out for that sweeper!!

  8. #8
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    That and I'd pay money in a theater to see Dan standing up in that thing going down the Kenai river.
    Watch out for that sweeper!!

    Dan is a sweeper unto himself....
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •