Thread: Dry box

Default Dry box

I'm looking for ideas on a dry box and what you all keep in it. Mostly looking for stuff that you wouldn't go in your raft without
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

A small cooler works well as long as it does not end up in the river or you are not rafting big whitewater. I just completed a remote fly-in trip and was contemplating just using dry bags. At the last minute I took a cooler for all the misc. stuff and a convienent seat in camp and was happy with my choice. It will also serve as a seat in the raft. If you are using it as a raft seat it's best to suspend it from the frame with cooler/box hangers to keep the weight off the floor.

If I'm flying out, I usually only pack stuff in dry bags. I might take a small cooler though. If not flying, I take a large cooler that fits tightly between the raft tubes and provides a seat for the oarsman. I also take an even larger plastic box for kitchen supplies, food, camping equipment and patch/repair supplies & tools. The box also serves as a seat for two front passengers. Both of these are left in the boat while at camp, as they are too large to move while full, and both are suspended from the frame to keep them an inch or so off the self bailing floor. Everything else goes in drybags or other soft bags, and I usually pile them on the floor.

I should add that most Alaskan rafters just use a cooler with drybags for gear. I don't see many dry boxes on local boats. Some, but not many.

Maybe I should have worded my question differently. I guess what I was looking for was the contents that you have in your repair kit and other essential items that stay in the boat. I just picked up an action packer type box and am in the process of filling it up with all necessary supplies. Oh and as far as my boat it's a 13' achilles sport boat
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Ahh. Pumps (always have a backup plan), patch kit, tools to adjust rowing frame and oar sleeves/clips. Plus rope, carabiners, pulleys and prusik loops for the occasional rescue or boat retrieval work. This is for a river raft, not a sport boat. If you're packing a motor you need the appropriate tools and a spare prop, maybe two, depending on the river.