Thread: Flounders should i keep fishing?

Default Flounders should i keep fishing?

I have fished a couple spots a buddy told me that he fished before and caught butts, so i droped lines in and all we picked up were flounders and Copper rock fish should we keep fishing these holes are there butts around these fish? or keep looking for new places. Any help would be nice.

use bigger bait/hooks.

I will try bigger bait hooks, but are there most likly halibut around?

Arrowtooth and halibut do share the same grounds. The best way I`ve found to defeat them is fish during the rip...the flounder can`t feed in as much current as a halibut. Another solution is to stop bait fishing...the flounder don`t get as excited about jigs as the halis do. If you are fishing 300` or more try to run a bit more shallow on nthe same structure...the halibut are resfding in more shallow water this time of year.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

not sure if the are arrowtooth or not i know there not starry to deep for that. ill try to up load a picture, thanks for the suggestions and i will put to use everything that im offered. i cant get the pictures to load ill try again later but thanks for the advice

We picked up quite of few arrow tooths where we caught most of our halibut in 540 feet of water. They were there.. the bite started with catching halibut then that shut off and we were getting into flounders and p-cods.

Here is a picture of the flounders we were catching one after another this is the smallest oneIMG_2850a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

All I know is the spots I've caught the little flounders, I haven't caught halibut. This may not hold for all areas, but that's been my experience this summer.

They aren't bad eating and no limit on them, but not much meat on them.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    Here is a picture of the flounders we were catching one after another this is the smallest oneIMG_2850a.jpg
    That's not an arrowtooth, but I have run into those before in PWS, usually in shallower water while looking for rock fish.

Looks like Soles, not flounder to me.

Not sure, but I believe sole are an Atlantic species. In the Pacific we have many different flounders.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Looks like a yellowfin sole.

Agreed, it looks like a yellowfin sole. If you get into a spot where you're pulling them up, definitely keep them and catch a cooler full if you can. They're delicious, although there isn't much meat on them. They don't grow very big. I think they're much more common in sort-of shallow water, like 50 - 60 fathoms, and there are tons of them in the Bering Sea.

So Sole's are they in the flounder family? I was catching them any where from 40' to 250'. We had a blast catching them and the kid was having fun catching them also. I didnt know they were good eating or i would have keep several but now i know and i will be keeping some next time.