Thread: Life jacket on shore? Copper Rvr

Default Life jacket on shore? Copper Rvr

Any of you wear a life jacket while dipping on the Copper at an eddy where you don't need to be tied off? ("Need" is opinion, yes.) I never see anyone doing so, incl me. BRIEFLY: 3 days ago I tripped while descending to the 1st eddy. Ended up sliding/rolling/flopping down a steep rock shelf I was going to traverse to a more sane place to sit; (flat and easy, 50' away). I was going head first toward the river, but somehow (God?) I turned at the last second and went in feet first, up to my chest. Head first and I would have drowned, P, EOS. I tore my pinkie finger loose (stuck out at 30 degrees) and popped the metacarpal bone in that hand out of place. Nasty sprained ankle, too. After I crawled out of the river I wondered where my life jacket was. btw: if you happened to find a green back pack floating down from just below O'brien Crk, I'd like some of the contents back. It was still floating when it went out of sight. Thanks. john

every year the copper kills atleast one dipnetter. you are one very lucky individual indeed. a life jacket dipping the copper is a very good idea. this is the latest one that i remember, but every year the copper kills a dipnetter. count your blessings, good luck with the finger and yes yes yes wear the jacket.
    http://mobile.newsminer.com/bookmark...be-down-played

I talked to a guy who had been pulled into the Copper by a large king but got out because he was bouyant and tied. You can get dunked even without making any mistakes. Wear the jacket and tie off. Most of the spots I've been to have just loose shale to stand on.

A friend, old timer who ran a fish wheel in Copper Center, related seeing 2 dipnetters fall into the Copper River years back. One never surfaced. The other, a big guy, climbed out on a rock downstream - barely able to stand upright due to the weight of all the silt accumulated in his clothing.

The archives are full of warnings from dipnetters, including long-time veterans. There's a very good descriptive post about dipnetting at Chitina here: http://alaska.wikia.com/wiki/Chitina_Dipnetting. Several interesting YouTube clips too - this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4uIO...eature=related, gives a good idea how steep the banks can be.

Good luck.

Glad we didn't read about you in the papers or start a thread about you

I wear my PFD while dipping from shore quite often. If the water is really swift and I'm standing on bedrock with a sharp drop off, I wear my PFD and tie off if I don't feel comfortable. If I'm dipping wear the slope is gradual, not to deep in front of me, then probaly not. Another reason I often wear a pfd is they really keep you warm on those cold, windy nights out dipping. Just look at the water conditions in front of you and ask yourself, if I fall in, am I 110% certain I could get out on my own. If not, wear the **** jacket! I get angry when I see people on the far side dipping from those cliffs where Hems drops em off. The current is sooooo swift over there! We watched people dipping from those cliffs with no PFD and they were'nt tied off - suicide! That was only weeks after that guy (husband and father) fell in right in front of his dad - he's gone forever. I guess a lot of people think it must be "uncool" to wear a pfd down while dipping in those spots - I don't understand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are absolutely "jacket and tie off" spots in your photos. We had a flat spot several feet wide and shallow in front of us.... once we got past the wide, steep shelf upon which I tripped. I had no intention of dipping from that shelf, or even going near the edge. No INTENTION, anyway..... This is the first yr I've dipped from the shore in 25 yrs; had a boat since then. I used to shake my head at the size of some of the boats I'd see, or number of guys in them. A max of 6" of free board? Spooky. Either way, I was lucky and ain't goin' back. You guys can have my share.