Thread: Vintage canoes

Default Vintage canoes

So ... This fellow comes into my place the other day with a double ended Gruman canoe on his truck.
    its painted OD gray...... the OD,, well that stands for" Over Dirt Gray"
    anyway its a very old Aluminum canoe.. but in pretty decent shape..
    I have not seen this particular style before, as it has wood slat flooring, and some cool airlock bulkheads.. etc..
    so the fellow tells me that it was his fathers.. His father bought the canoe 1 year after this guy was born.. the guy was 72 years old..
    so the canoe is a 1940 model Gruman... It has a little boiler plate with the serial number on it, and it checks out.. so it is a 1940 model.. wow... a 71 year old Aluminum canoe in pretty decent shape..
    He wants to know how much something like that is worth?
    I dont know sir... to me its worth $300 or less because I am in the canoe rental business, not the vintage canoe business.....
    So the question begs.... is this a canoe worth more than its intrinsic value as a usable canoe in my fleet ?
    I told the fellow that I did not need the canoe, and felt that it would be a shame to rent this baby out, as it may be worth more to someone that may collect such an item..
    either way,, I put it on my rack, and will atempt to sell the canoe for him..
    he thinks its worth at least $500
    I just dont know ..
    any thoughts?
    MaX
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    So ... This fellow comes into my place the other day with a double ended Gruman canoe on his truck.
    its painted OD gray...... the OD,, well that stands for" Over Dirt Gray"
    anyway its a very old Aluminum canoe.. but in pretty decent shape..
    I have not seen this particular style before, as it has wood slat flooring, and some cool airlock bulkheads.. etc..
    so the fellow tells me that it was his fathers.. His father bought the canoe 1 year after this guy was born.. the guy was 72 years old..
    so the canoe is a 1940 model Gruman... It has a little boiler plate with the serial number on it, and it checks out.. so it is a 1940 model.. wow... a 71 year old Aluminum canoe in pretty decent shape..
    He wants to know how much something like that is worth?
    I dont know sir... to me its worth $300 or less because I am in the canoe rental business, not the vintage canoe business.....
    So the question begs.... is this a canoe worth more than its intrinsic value as a usable canoe in my fleet ?
    I told the fellow that I did not need the canoe, and felt that it would be a shame to rent this baby out, as it may be worth more to someone that may collect such an item..
    either way,, I put it on my rack, and will atempt to sell the canoe for him..
    he thinks its worth at least $500
    I just dont know ..
    any thoughts?
    MaX
    Definitely, yes.

Sounds like it might be a good item to put on display at the new Chena Lakes Visitors Center in Fairbanks. Maybe give them a call?

Did you say how long it is?

I looked at it, and no doubt there is $500 worth of memories there. If it were mine, it would be worth far more. Hope it finds a good home, but yes, underneath all that paint, it's probably only worth about $300.

Looks like a 16'er. One slightly bent gunnel, some scratches, perhaps a bit of snow load denting. The floorboards would be great for a lake, but a pain if you had to portage.

I measured it today and it is 17 ft 4 inches total length.
    almost considering removing all the layers of paint and then giving it a aluminum light acid wash to bring the Aluminum back to original.
    Sayak,
    I missed you today, I would have enjoyed visiting with you about the canoe.
    I will take some pictures of the canoe and post them and hope someone will want it..
    My thoughts are that it would give many many good years of service to someone or a family, but in just a short season it would be toast in my rental fleet,
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

If I had 500 bucks, it would be in my garage...today! Canoes of that vintage are hard to come by, especially up here.

But you're right, to a canoe livery, it's a money pit; by the time you buy it and restore it, you could have bought an OT Disco or something. You need someone who likes the old things/old ways.

BTW, "wood slat flooring" Is it a wood floor attached to aluminum sides, or is wood slats over aluminum stringers/runners?

There's no restoration needed for that canoe. It would do anything it should do just as it is.
    It would be nice to take of the accumulated paint and it might be possible to smooth a few bumps, but that is all.
    The floorboards seemed to be oak slats, quite professionally attached to the ribs longitudinally. They may even be original.