Thread: Newbie on the Kenai

Default Newbie on the Kenai

Just bought a "new to me" boat. Its an 18' aluminum with a honda 50. I want to fish the Kenai for silvers, but was hoping for some pointers regarding places to avoid/river etiquette, or anything else you feel a new guy should know. Thanks!

You are clearly a smart guy for asking

Get someone that knows the river to take you out.

After that, you will feel 100X better about going out.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here's a couple of pointers.
    1/ ready your boat for launching away from the launch ramp not on it.
    2/ don't anchor in a productive drift.
    3/ leave a good distance I (a cast length or so) between yourself and the other boats when anchoring up.
    4/ stick to the outside bends when running the river (this is where you will find the channel)
    5/ keeps your eyes open and stay focused when running (you don't want to hit a gravel bar at WOT).
    6/ don't run the Naptowne rapids in your new boat.

Courtesy. Know how to back your boat. You should be at the launch just long enough to toss in your boat, then get out of the way if others are waiting. If you aren't fast, practice at a local lake.
    Pay attention to other boats. [I]Most[I] guides have clue where to navigate. Watch the current for changes. You will see obvious shallows. Keep and eye on your depth finder, and process that info. I ran the river from college hole to Cunningham for 16 years with the same aluminum prop. If you find yourself running in 2' of water, don't slow down!
    I quit fishing the Kenai about 6 years ago. Only thing I miss is the feel of that 65# king holding me on the bottom.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

About stinken time you got a boat. Wife, house, kid, yep next thing is a boat, Gratz!

4/ stick to the outside bends when running the river (this is where you will find the channel)

Be careful on this one, an example is across from Falling in Hole. Take that outside and it can cost a few grand.

I agree with GOT TOYS, if you see a guide heading into an area that your not familiar with, Follow that sucker! They tend to know the river very well with all the time they spend pissing off locals (not intended for locals earning a living). However, if you do follow one, pay attention to the route he takes and just do the same till you learn to read the river better.

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post

Be careful on this one, an example is across from Falling in Hole. Take that outside and it can cost a few grand.

You are correct I should have said: 4/ stick to the outside bends when running the river (this is generally where you will find the channel there are however exceptions to the rule)

Thanks guys....

TYBSP------lets go fishin'!