Thread: Sheefish on the Yukon and Koyukuk

Default Sheefish on the Yukon and Koyukuk

Son and I would love to be able to catch a sheefish or two on our moose hunt next month. If you have any suggestions on where to fish and gear and techniques we would appreciate it.
    We will be launching at the haul road bridge and be on the Yukon till we cut off on the Koyukuk.
    Thanks
    Tennessee

Can't tell you where but I can tell you that tossing Blue Fox Pixie's and Daredevil Rocket Devil's catch 'em here in the NWT pretty good.
    I figure you can go with any heavy compact spoon in bright colours.

I watched a guy catch one just off the beach there in Galena. Didn't see what he was using though.

Bring steel leaders and some pike gear. Go fish in some of those sloughs off the Koyukuk.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I used everything from mag warts, spoons, jerk baits to small spoons (little cleo & pheobe). When the bite is on it is on if not it can be slow fishing. Caught most where two river systems merged or at the edge of a sandbar and they were feeding.

Try fishing the mouths of any clear water creek. We just anchored up and casted krocodile type spoons and also pixies down by Kaltag. Sure are a blast to catch! Have fun
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway