Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winner winner chicken dinner!

Default winner winner chicken dinner!

Just kicked off my 2011 bird hunting season and boy does it feel good! I caught this little fella on a south facing gravel road about 2pm this afternoon. I passed on a couple others because they were small but I just couldn't come home empty handed.

The dogs and guns were happy to find out why we have been training so hard lately. I really can't put into words how much I love being in the alpine with my wolf pack. Just another day in paradise...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Atta boy! Is that a bird dog?
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Just kicked off my 2011 bird hunting season and boy does it feel good! I caught this little fella on a south facing gravel road about 2pm this afternoon. I passed on a couple others because they were small but I just couldn't come home empty handed.

The dogs and guns were happy to find out why we have been training so hard lately. I really can't put into words how much I love being in the alpine with my wolf pack. Just another day in paradise...
    Great pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Atta boy! Is that a bird dog?
    I had a good bird dog until it got a concussion. Now it hides in the doghouse when I throw anything around the yard.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Now it hides in the doghouse when I throw anything around the yard.
    Is that true or are you just trying to make me feel bad?
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Is that true or are you just trying to make me feel bad?
    Hey you should know my threads are a feel bad free zone!
    Thanks northbird!

The bird dogs are behind me in the truck exhausted(they put in about 10,000ft elevation and 20 miles hiking in three days going after ptarmies). A hound and a dane, neither are mine, you can barely see the dane. The dane is an excellent bird dog but we are still working on his soft mouth. He flushes/heels well, but he doesn't point. The schnauzer(my GF's) in the pic is a squirrel/rat dog. She isn't sure about birds, but she is strong and can keep up so she tags along(I pop squirrels for her if they are around). My boxer(left) is too old for the harder hunts. She stays home and babysits any little dogs I have around.
    Well, after getting skunked fishing at the deshka yesterday and being towed home by Larry(thanks Larry!), I'm heading out to do what I do best, HUNT!!!

Skinny I'm sorry to hear that. Any details? Can any of us help in any way?

Here are a couple pics from a nice rainy monday morning. The dogs earned their keep today. Just another day in paradise...

Skinny I'm sorry to hear that. Any details? Can any of us help in any way?
    That's a good-looking grouse Tailwind. Sorry I missed this a week ago - I was only trying to tease local member PG13 about his rough treatment of my pets. If he ever offers to entertain your dogs with a retrieving dummy, use the same caution as you would with a child holding a gun. Keep the dogs close until you're sure he's done throwing.

Looks like that grouse put on his Sunday best. Looks really sharp, would be a great start for the Heaven 7. We still on for that dog park meet up this week, Tailwind?
    Go Big Red!

O yeah! Whenever you get some time let me know and we can go run some dogs. Any dogs in my care actually require a good bumper bash every once in while, so that works out perfect. bring your bashing bumpers.

that's hilarious

Small ones cook up just as well. Where were they, I'll send my wife after them. She's a bird hunting Freak!

Nice pics! Beautiful bird, and an intense looking pointer!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

First Ruffie of the season! It was a nice and sunny with lots of small grouse out. Just another day in paradise...

First Ruffie of the season! It was a nice and sunny with lots of small grouse out. Just another day in paradise...
    Excellent!!

First female spruce hens of the season. There were also goats on the seward highway and lots of belugas in the inlet. Take it slow out that way folks, lots of people pulled over to get a peek. Just another day in paradise...

Your inspiring me! Thanks for sharing your adventures.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

These birds were feasting on small moths when I stumbled upon them.
    Just another day in paradise...
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

A perfect fall day. Lots of autumn color all around, birds in the forest, and sun in the blue sky.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

TAILWIND you are KILLING me!!!!
    im so envyous.
    you lucky duck!
    is that a 410 i see?
    great birds!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast