Thread: Kenai River Canyon

Default Kenai River Canyon

Would like to know more about it, like parking & fishing there & what is it like, is it worth stopping there to try to get away from the crowd a little bit,, thanks

Default Parking?????

I can only assume you are you talking about the Canyon after Jim's Landing, correct??? Parking depends on where you put in -- Cooper Landing or Jims Landing. If you float the canyon you will have to have a setup equiped with a motor -- Skilak lake can be a serious pain. Fishing is great through the canyon and below throughout the summer months (when its open i.e., after Mid-june), and yes you can beat the crowds. Parking can be found at Cooper landing (fee), Jim's Landing (fee), just down the road from Jim's landing (on Skilak Lake Rd), and at various other smaller pullouts down Skilak lake Rd. You can also follow Skilak Lake Rd and hike off it at various spots to avoid the float and vehicle shuffling. Watch out for bears!

I would be looking at the area after Jims landing, not on a boat. but would be walking to the river, will be there early august

Excellent time to go. The rainbows will be looking like footballs after gorging on the salmon eggs. You should still be able to pick up some older reds and the silver's should be showing up. All in all it would be great fishing. Under Jim's the hikes range from 1 1/2 to 3 miles or so (one way). Just look for the pull outs along Skilak Lake Rd.