Thread: Fishing near Fort Yukon

Default Fishing near Fort Yukon

If someone were to be in Fort Yukon for a few days, would he find a place to do some fishing? A man can't have all work and no play, right? I ask about fishing because I do not want any play in Fort Yukon that is at the end of a fishing line.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    If someone were to be in Fort Yukon for a few days, would he find a place to do some fishing? A man can't have all work and no play, right? I ask about fishing because I do not want any play in Fort Yukon that is NOT at the end of a fishing line.
    er, I mean

Skinny,

Have someone boat you up to 17 mile slough on the Porcupine River for pike. When I had my airplane I used to fly up there and land on the gravel and catch pike to 40inches. Fishing is better early and late in the day.

jim

The end of a road out past the golf course and dump area. There is a small slough that has one or two fish in it. It gets hit hard by the local kids. Watch out for drunks on wheelers.

I forgot about one spot up there at Ft YUkon, Skinny. Drive out toward the large shopping mall. Go beyond the Fred Meyer store and the Walmart. Make a left just beyond the Pizza Hut and drive north two blocks to where you'll see new construction for the new Nordstrom store (the new Nordstrom's, not the old store at the smaller mall in the heart of downtown Ft Yukon) and take that road until the pavement turns to dirt. In about three miles you'll see a beautiful clear running stream. That stream is loaded with steelhead up to 20 pounds. I'd use only dry flies, something on the order of a size 18 Adams.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    I forgot about one spot up there at Ft YUkon, Skinny. Drive out toward the large shopping mall. Go beyond the Fred Meyer store and the Walmart. Make a left just beyond the Pizza Hut and drive north two blocks to where you'll see new construction for the new Nordstrom store (the new Nordstrom's, not the old store at the smaller mall in the heart of downtown Ft Yukon) and take that road until the pavement turns to dirt. In about three miles you'll see a beautiful clear running stream. That stream is loaded with steelhead up to 20 pounds. I'd use only dry flies, something on the order of a size 18 Adams.

jim
    I looked at some satellite imagery of the area and I haven't seen any buildings that look like new Nordstrom's construction. Unfortunately I bet I won't have time to make it up the Porcupine. That's a funny post about steelhead in Fort Yukon - I wonder what the local folks would think about 20 pounds of steel (or clear water, for that matter).