Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready-

Default Getting ready-

Tied these up the last couple of days--got a small collection of beads, too. Any suggstions on colors, etc. for the fleshies?

I would consider making some two tone offerings. Some big gaudy 2-3 color 3-4" flies for the Kenai. Maybe some micro flesh flies for small clear streams. I wouldn't make a ton of flies that all look the same until I had a firm opinion on what was productive. Make some small ones and make some that will fish like a wet sweater. Perhaps some monster articulated flesh flies you will fish on a swing. Mix it up a bit, that is my only thought.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Below are a few of the flesh flies I am bringing to the Upper Kenai in a few weeks.

All Alaska Fly Fishing Goods offerings.

Over the years, I have learned to lean on these guys for my fly fishing needs.

Articulated Rubber Legs Flesh

Choker

Dolly llama (pink/white, pink/tan, etc..)

Happy Meal

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Sweet--I can tie big stuff.

As with most things, variety is good. Shoot me a PM when you firm your Palooza dates up. Looking forward to it man.

Dan

Dan,
    There's not enough "stuff" on your happy meal. You really need a 24 beads and 12" of rabbit strip. Make sure you tip with some shrimp.

Even I have a line in the sand.

Lucky for you it doesn't forbid me from enjoying the company of drunken midget dancing

I picked up a few flesh flies today as well as a few leaches. I spent 100 bucks at the **** fly shop getting line, hemostats, and flies and I still only got about 8-9 flies and a small box of beads. Hopefully I dont loose too many of them **** things down there or my day will be real short. Any other suggestions on what I should pick up before I head down? I cant spend a whole lot more money but a few more flies I can budget for.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The flesh flies I tied may be a bit small--good for clear water, but I have quite a few, you are welcome to use some of them. I have a modest bead collection you can dip into as well.

One more question. My fly line has a loop in the end. Can some one send me a link that shows how to tie a leader to it? Im trying google but not finding the right knot. They guy at the fly shop said make sure whatever I tie to it doesnt end up in the middle of that loop or it will break.

Quote Originally Posted by toby.davis1 View Post
    The flesh flies I tied may be a bit small--good for clear water, but I have quite a few, you are welcome to use some of them. I have a modest bead collection you can dip into as well.
    Awesome thanks. I got a few different sizes. Some bigger some smaller. Most of the leaches I picked up are pretty decent size.

You guys don't go crazy buying stuff. I am the pot calling the kettle black of course, but give sound advice. You may find yourself fishing beads primarily, depending on preferences, what the fish are hitting, etc.. In such case, Chuck and I have many beads. I will be happy to give you a few if need be. Just bring your rod, WF line, and some beer. Everything else will take care of itself.

As for the leader to fly line connection, consider the Tie-Fast nail knot tool. Any decent fly shop should have it.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You guys don't go crazy buying stuff. I am the pot calling the kettle black of course, but give sound advice. You may find yourself fishing beads primarily, depending on preferences, what the fish are hitting, etc.. In such case, Chuck and I have many beads. I will be happy to give you a few if need be. Just bring your rod, WF line, and some beer. Everything else will take care of itself.

As for the leader to fly line connection, consider the Tie-Fast nail knot tool. Any decent fly shop should have it.

-Dan
    Got one of them. Should I make a permanent loop piece out of mono then nail knot another piece of mono leader to that or just tie my fly on the end of mono leader I made the loop in? Does that even make sense?

Thanks!

You want to make the butt end of the leader a loop so that you have a loop to loop connection with the fly line. You can use either a double surgeons loop or a perfection loop for this. If you tie into the center of the loop you will put stress on only a single leg of the loop and that will cause stress on the weld and the loop to fail. When you use a loop to loop you collapse the loop and pull on both legs of it transferring the pull into the center core of the line. If you were at my shop today I apologize that you are not happy with me.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

I triple surgeons a loop in the butt section of my leader(end of a peice of mono20#,25#,or 30# depending on the drift) then taper down using a triple surgeons or nail knot between sections. Works good for me.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Just tie a loop.

Dan, how many of those flies have you caught fish on?

I enjoy fishing with one of them and they work because almost nobody fishes it...well....almost nobody fished it.

You are forever banned from looking into my fly bag as I would hate to see pictures posted on AOD.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by akgloomis View Post
    You want to make the butt end of the leader a loop so that you have a loop to loop connection with the fly line. You can use either a double surgeons loop or a perfection loop for this. If you tie into the center of the loop you will put stress on only a single leg of the loop and that will cause stress on the weld and the loop to fail. When you use a loop to loop you collapse the loop and pull on both legs of it transferring the pull into the center core of the line. If you were at my shop today I apologize that you are not happy with me.
    What fly shop do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    What fly shop do you own?
    Mossy's..............C6 say hello to Mike! IMO the best shop in Anch!

C6 what I do is take some thing heavy like 17 lbs ish and tie it to the fly line with a nail knott, then I use a blood knot for the rest of the leader. A lot of fly shops make the loop so you can just run a straight leader from the loop but once that loop breaks your are up a creek if you don't know your knots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast