Thread: Alaska Caribou or Moose Hunt

Default Alaska Caribou or Moose Hunt

I love Alaska and have been there eight time either on vacation or caribou hunting. Next year I will be 70 and want to get in one more hunt there. (Maybe more) In the 90's I bow hunted for caribou in the lime hills and at the the time there were thousands of caribou. Now I hear that the herd has collapsed and the season is closed. The outfitter I went with is now out of business. (Osprey Mountain Lodge) I have also heard that there lots of caribou in the artic, but that sometimes the temperature can go down to -30. That is a little cold for me. My question is, are there places in the south part of the state that still have good caribou hunting ??? If there are good caribou areas, do you have any recommendations for outfitters ?? Another option is to go for moose. Are there any recommendations for a good moose outfitter ?? I know ther is a lot of information on the internet but it is not like getting information from bow hunter who know first hand and nothing to promote. Thanks. Lew (lewmsu@yahoo.com)

You might want to contact one of the hunt planners that are on this site. There is a hunt planning primer sticky on the top of the Alaska Hunting forum http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lanning-Primer. As far as the arctic being -30 just don't go in the winter. August and September temps will not be that bad.
    Last edited by akdd; 08-13-2011 at 11:05. Reason: added info

akdd, Thanks for the tips, I will check them out. If you come up with some other tips pass them also. Lew

I have been doing some research and have found a place west of Anchorage called Stoney River Lodge. They claim to still have some good caribou hunting. Does anyone have any information or opinion on how good there lodge and opportunity is??. Also open to any other recommendations. Lew

I can't comment on the lodge as I have no experience with them. However, I do know where Stoney River Lodge is located and they, more than likely, would be hunting the Mulchatna caribou herd which sounds like the herd you previously hunted in the 90s. Might want to contac the lodge and ask how up-to-date their information is. I'm sure some lodges still have clients hunting the Mulchatna herd but I can't imagine there are many making it worth the effort.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff, I have heard that the mulchatna herd has gone way down and that is one reason why I was asking. I have also heard the opposite about the arctic herd. Any idea how cold it gets up there in August and early September??

Pick a city and it will give you the average temps. http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...tes/alaska.htm
    Kotzebue and Bettles are a couple of the main hubs for hunting the Arctic herd. Barrow is as far north as you can get. So this will give you an Idea of the average temps.

I just got back from a 11 day hunt above the arctic circle from Aug 6th to the 16th. The writeup is posted here. Shot two huge bulls and the temps at the extremes were between 35 and 70 degree's. They swing pretty wildly this time of year, but are plenty tollerable. The later you go the more chance of extreme cold.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Heard it was 15 degrees in Prudhoe yesterday and a week ago it was 60. Temp swings up there this time of year can definitely be crazy

I've been up there a couple of times in early Sept. We needed a zero degree bag to insure comfort at night but it wasn't overly cold, like below zero at any time. I believe the lowest it got was a morning of 25 with frost on the tents. Warmed up during the day. I don't think you will have a problem if you stay August or early Sept. Most of the Mulchatna herd area is now closed to non-residents so the best bet is to head north.

I was up in Prudhoe yesterday and the temp was 11 degrees.. Flying back down to Fairbanks there was caribou all over the place! They were in small and HUGE groups. They were streached from a few still in Prudhoe area to more then I could even think about counting down almost to Atigun Pass area. I've been archery hunted just north of Atigun Pass and it would be 35 degrees during the day and -22 degrees at night. The only thing that you should keep in mind if you hunt the Arctic Herd is that unless you are bow hunting you either need to use a outfitter to fly you out of the corridor or you have to walk the 5 miles to get out of the corridor (DHCM) to gun hunt. Either way it's a awesome sight to see and hunt when your in the middle of all those caribou. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by tmhayes View Post
    I was up in Prudhoe yesterday and the temp was 11 degrees.. Flying back down to Fairbanks there was caribou all over the place! They were in small and HUGE groups. They were streached from a few still in Prudhoe area to more then I could even think about counting down almost to Atigun Pass area. I've been archery hunted just north of Atigun Pass and it would be 35 degrees during the day and -22 degrees at night. The only thing that you should keep in mind if you hunt the Arctic Herd is that unless you are bow hunting you either need to use a outfitter to fly you out of the corridor or you have to walk the 5 miles to get out of the corridor (DHCM) to gun hunt. Either way it's a awesome sight to see and hunt when your in the middle of all those caribou. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide.

Terry
    Well it never got below 40 in happy valley yesterday 85 miles south Great weather all last week.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

JKB, FIGHT ON ! Were you hunting last week and if you were how did you do?

We harvested 11 caribou they were just about to start rubbing but all were in velvet. Just starting to migrate.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    We harvested 11 caribou they were just about to start rubbing but all were in velvet. Just starting to migrate.
    Ah you can't leave us hanging... Where is the rest of the story...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Ah you can't leave us hanging... Where is the rest of the story...
    Still processing 1000 lbs of meat I'll try to write somthing tonight while watching the pressure cooker.
    Unknown author