Thread: Accubonds or ttsx for hunting?

Default Accubonds or ttsx for hunting?

I just bought a box of nosler 200gr.accubonds and a box of barns 200gr. ttsx
    I shoot a 300rum. I would like to stay with one load for all hunting ,from long range varmits to short range grizzlys.
    If they both shoot tight groups .What bullet would you be loading and why?

ss700rem breaked,triggered,bedded,badger rings and ramp and a 5.5x22 night force

I shoot accubonds out of my .338 and like the way they shoot and perform. I don't have any experience with ttsx. The accubonds expand really well and have dropped everything I have hit with them. I don't have any experience with accubonds on dangerous game yet......that will be next spring! I'm sure someone will have much more technical data for you but seems both are very good bullets!

Good luck with your search.

I have no experience with accubonds or the ttsx, but I have shot deer with normal untipped tsx and they are devastating to say the least. I shoot 168gr out of my .300saum and my rifle really likes them. I would imagine the tipped tsx would be similar but with a higher BC.

I shoot a RUM, several actually. The gun is a high velocity, long range tool. I am of the opinion a tougher bullet is warranted for close (under 100yrd) shots because of the high velocity. I try to use etips and TTSX bullets for that reason in the RUM if I can get them to shoot. I have heard stories of cup and core bullets turning into grenades with the RUM. I am not sure the premium bonded bullets will have the same problem, but believe they are more fragile than the all copper bullets. I have shot bears and moose with TTSX and ETIPS, they worked flawlessly. The accubonds I shot flew well, but I did not put them to game. My Father in Law has laid down several caribou with a 300 wby using 180 accubonds and has nothing but good things to say about their performance. I would be worried about them with dangerous game. I have confidence the TTSX will stay together. If Brown bears are on the menu, stick with the ttsx. If not, both will kill just fine, and fly real good.

Do you handload? You can really get the RUM to shoot it's best rolling your own. I am shooting the 168g TTSX right now. About 3300 fps. Flat shooting, scary accurate and all sorts of fun.

I wonder how many people will post what a waste of time the RUM is. That seems to be a common thread on this forum. Happy shooting.

I shoot the 300Rum also, And love the Barnes,at the time I couldn't find factory ammo and had to start reloadind my own.180 grain. I tried the TTSX but the TSX shot better. Dumped my Moose at 300 yards the bullet looked just the pic's with perfect pedals. Found it on the far side in the hide. Barnes are all I shoot now.

While I do not have a 300 RUM, I have shot both accubonds and TTSX in 300 Win Mag and 30-06. Accuracy is about the same with both bullets for me with a slight edge to the Nosler product. My main reason for not using Barnes is that I consistently get copper fouling with Barnes bullets. Since I am lazy and hate to have to clean the fouling out of my barrel, I quit using Barnes.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I consistently get copper fouling with Barnes bullets.
    Aren't the accubonds copper covered?

Headhunter, no matter what bullet you use, being that big and going that fast, it will do a number on any varmints. Generally, if you want to have something left of the varmint to recover, large fast bullets are not the best choice.
    I would say it would be difficult to really say one brand is better than another. Plenty of quality bullets these days. Your just gonna have to shoot them and decide which you like best. Isn't that part of the fun?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

One load for everything, with your velocities, go Barnes, period. Who wants lead shrapnel in their meat anyway

I very much like Accubonds but I'm shooting a fair bit slower than you with a .300WSM. I've had excellent on game performance and I bet you will too out there where the speeds have slowed a bit. Not sure I'd want to hit something at RUM velocity point blank with an AB.

Like boilep said- I got ridiculous levels of fouling with the TSX, don't know why but they fouled heavy and I couldn't get them to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    I just bought a box of nosler 200gr.accubonds and a box of barns 200gr. ttsx
    I shoot a 300rum. I would like to stay with one load for all hunting ,from long range varmits to short range grizzlys.
    If they both shoot tight groups .What bullet would you be loading and why?
    I'd say for your intended victims there will not be an iota's difference between them. I'd load 'em up, do some testing (accuracy, chronograph & LR doping) and use the bullet that proves best on paper and be confident that either will smoke varmints to grizzlies...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'd say for your intended victims there will not be an iota's difference between them. I'd load 'em up, do some testing (accuracy, chronograph & LR doping) and use the bullet that proves best on paper and be confident that either will smoke varmints to grizzlies...
    What he said.........I am using the TTSX in the .338 and love them. I'm using 75 grns of RL-19 with the 210 TTSX
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Aren't the accubonds copper covered?
    While I am not a metallurgist, I understand that there are different hardness in copper. Barnes obviously uses a softer copper on their product than other bullet manufacturers do. That causes the fouling that so many are getting with the Barnes product and not with others like Nosler, Speer, Sierra, etc.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

While I no longer will tolerate the recoil of the 300RUM. go ahead if you can. The accuracy factor would be the obvious first choice.
    Its not clear if you are a handloader. If you are, bear in mind that you probably can't get to the velocity the factory can. They use special formulated powder not available to the public. However I can report I have used both the Accubond and TTSX on big game up to elk with excellent results. That was with 30-06's and 300WSM's. The Accubond is a thicker(than Ballistic Tips) all copper walled bonded bullet almost as "premium" as the Partition. The TTSX is a redesigned TSX with a slightly larger opening to faciliate quicker expansion. The "tip" improves the BC. However, bullet placement trumps all else. Good luck!

With respect to the copper fouling mentioned above, that is not true. The machined grooves in the shank of the bullet decrease contact with the bore, reduce pressures and allow any displaced copper to flow into the adjacent groove. The average bore should have less fouling. Your results may vary.

The one potential clear advantage with the 200gr bullet wieght and fairly high velocities you are talking about among the two bullets, would be the TTSX on big brownies because you KNOW you're going to end up with 90%+ of the bullet weight when all is done. With any other game in N.A., either should work fabulously.

I would go with the Barnes and not split hairs over a small group off the bench. Most big bears and moose are shot at well under 200 yards. That .300 RUM case holds a bunch of powder and drives a 200 grain bullet very fast. So I would go with the toughest bullet.

Hi folks

I have been using both bullets over here (Scandinavia, Germany, Poland) in a 9,3x62 Mauser (a kind of beefed up 35 Wheelen) and they are both excellent on all game from Roe Deer over Wild Boar to Moose. But I'm right now planning a Grizzly hunt in Alaska (Sept. 12) and I have decided to go for the Barnes TSX. For such big and dangerous game the Barnes simply has that extra chance of doing the job. It is a little more expensive than the AB, but generally you can count on a say 250 grain T/TSX being equivalent in effect to a 285 grain lead core bullet.

The original X bullets tended to foul the rifling with copper, and supposedly Barnes improved the copper used on these bullets to correct the problem. I haven't had any problems with copper fouling and the TSX. Use the .338-caliber 225-grain TSX for moose, and it's not only accurate out of my .338WM, but deadly. Every now and then when Fred Mayer has ammo on sale, I buy a box or two of Federal 225-grain TSX, so I haven't been reloading for awhile now

Headhunter

I had an accubond come apart on impact with a bull moose and now have loaded up the TTSX and shoot a griz with them this year. The bullet passed through the lenght of the bear. Both bullets fly excellent and i have bagged many animals with the Accubond, but will never use them again for large game.

I was using a 338 RUM.