Thread: Kodiak Deer/Goat Hunting this fall--Need help with timing...

Default Kodiak Deer/Goat Hunting this fall--Need help with timing...

I will be going to Kodiak this fall (Oct-Dec) for a single day of work. I can set it up for any time in a three month time period. It would be no problem to extend my stay and go hunting after my day of work is done.

If you were given this opportunity and had 3-7days extra to play on Kodiak when and where and with which outfitter would you go hunt deer and/or goats?

Depends on what you want.

Kodiak Combos is a great outfit, that advertises here and several members have utilized his service and been thouroughly delighted. It is a daily drop off thing, you hike and do the rest by you self.

there are the boat based drop off ones out of homer stationed on the south end as well.

If you want more of a hand holding/guide service, there are lots out to choose from for deer but for goats you are limited to the south end where it is a registration permit. Most guides in those areas are gearing up for bear hunts that start on the 25th of Oct.

Lots of options you just have to decide and define more of what you want.

I would want to hunt goats after the 1st. of Oct. The hair will be longer. Deer hunting is good any time in November. You might give Andrew Air a call or any other air charters and talk to them. I dont advise a solo goat hunt. I would definitely work a hunt into your work trip though. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    I would want to hunt goats after the 1st. of Oct. The hair will be longer. Deer hunting is good any time in November. You might give Andrew Air a call or any other air charters and talk to them. I dont advise a solo goat hunt. I would definitely work a hunt into your work trip though. Good Luck
    Never again...
    Too many bears, too many hunters (or goats already harvested prior to arrival) and weather that absolutely sux.
    I always said "go late for the hair"...not any more.
    Too many tough hunts. I'm heading in early for a better all 'round experience.
    One guy's two cents...
    Proud to be an American!

Call Harvey Air there in Kodiak and ask their advice. I personnally would contact Tom Kirstein, but he is the only person I have dealt with hunting on Kodiak Island. Plus, he has got everything in place to make your hunt memorable.
    What I'm saying is contact air ferry folks and get their advice. The ones I've mentioned have really taken good care of me.
    My dime's worth of advice.

Chris

I hunted the week before Thanksgiving last year and it was all I could do to keep bucks away from us. They were in the rut and easy to spot. Watch the beach in the morning, sunny hillsides during the day, and anywhere starting around 3 p.m. I went with Kodiak Combos and it was worth far more than I paid for it.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!