Thread: Totatlanika or Tat River

Default Totatlanika or Tat River

Anyone ever float either of these off the Rex Trail? thanks. j

Default Work

As with all rivers and water levels they require work. If you plan on floating during Moose Season lets say up high down to the Rex :-) You may wish to fly over prior to making the commitment to floating I think that about sums it up. :-)

Default totat

i've hunted up on the portion of the totat just above the rex several times and through there i've never seen it deep or wide enough to do any floating. i've driven my atv down and back and forth across it several times out of hunting season (during moose season you can't make motorized access to the east bank i believe it is).

it may widen out below the rex but i'm not sure.

Default thanks

to both of you. will have to get in there this summer. j

I personally have thought of floating from the Rex to the Tanana myself several times, but I don't really think there is enough water most years. And when the water is up, it is moving too fast. The stream is too small in my openion. As for up stream of the Rex, no way, thy canyon has too many big rocks in it and there just is not enough water even when the water is high. As for the Wood River controlled use area which borders the east bank, not a problem with a raft. That area is only closed to motorized vehicles, during August and September. I've ridden 4-wheelers and snow machines up and down the river many times. I've seen places where it spreads out into many fingers, none deep enough to float a raft.