Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a guide for middle Kenai rainbow/silver trip on Sept 10th...

Default Suggest a guide for middle Kenai rainbow/silver trip on Sept 10th...

We will be at Fishapalooza Sept 5-12 and will raft the Upper Kenai for bows/dollies each day. Staying at the RRCG (rainbow loop) if anyone wants to drop in and have a beer or nine. The wife has a new 8wt she wants to test out on some silvers and I thought about a day trip on the middle. Bought it at Mossy's a few months back, sweet St Croix Ken of K Kustom Rods in Anchorage made. Wife is looking at it today as I am loading fly boxes and says "I really want to catch a silver". "Shet" I says softly to myself. Now I am trying to make that happen as I will do anything to encourage her to fish more. Learned over the years this to be a good thing. Also, shame being so close to the middle in Sept and not fishing it. Took the raft down it last year and it made for a long day. The idea of shelling out a little coin for a guided motor boat this year seems like a better plan. We both fly fish and would like to spend an equal amount of time on bows and silvers. Thought I would ask here in case anyone had any suggestions. Thanks for any comment.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Troutfitters won't steer you wrong.

That said give Mystic Waters a shout, ask for Stacy specifically.

http://www.mysticfishing.com/index.html

Have known him since I was knee high to a fiddle head, he was born and raised down there and will do you proper.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Everett at Alaska's Last Frontier, awesome guide and will put you on unbelievable amounts of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Troutfitters won't steer you wrong.

That said give Mystic Waters a shout, ask for Stacy specifically.

http://www.mysticfishing.com/index.html

Have known him since I was knee high to a fiddle head, he was born and raised down there and will do you proper.
    Both great suggestions and I have couple more to add.

Jake Zirkle
    Not only is he an experienced fly guy, he likes to do the centerpin thing too.
    http://www.jakezirkle.com/

Dan Hardy
    He will put you on fish too + he's another pin guy.
    http://www.d-ray.com/

Drift Away Charters. Nigel and his partners will go all out to set you up right whatever way you want to fish it!

Steve McClure of Mclure's guide service. I think his handle is iceblue on this forum. He's a stand up guy and I see him on the river all the time with fish on. He's a local and he knows the river. I saw him on the middle last week nailing the trout. I was right below him and my daughters were nailing the trout too. All the guides listed above are good too. You will want to be in a powerboat. It doesn't matter what you use because you aint gonna catch shet. Let Carrie do the fishing.

Steve doesn't seem to have a website or easy to find contact info. He hasn't signed on the forum for 2-3 months, busy fishing I suspect. Same for Jessal's Fishing who is MIA from the forum for 2 years now. I emailed Troutfitter's, Mystic Fishing, Dan, and Jake. Mystic is booked that day already and I will look forward to hearing from the other three. Any other ideas, let me know. Thanks guys.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Steve doesn't seem to have a website or easy to find contact info. He hasn't signed on the forum for 2-3 months, busy fishing I suspect. Same for Jessal's Fishing who is MIA from the forum for 2 years now. I emailed Troutfitter's, Mystic Fishing, Dan, and Jake. Mystic is booked that day already and I will look forward to hearing from the other three. Any other ideas, let me know. Thanks guys.

-Dan
    Send him a PM. I'll be on the middle this weekend. I'll let him know if I see him. Does she want to catch a silver on the fly or just any old way.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

-Dan
    Here ya go,
    Address: P.O. BOX 2263
    Soldotna, Alaska 99669
    United States
    Seasonal Alternate Address: P.O. BOX 2263
    Soldotna, Alaska 99669
    United States
    Email: Click Here
    Phone: 907-262-2977
    Toll Free: 877-962-2977
    Website: http://www.gofishn.com/mcclures-rustic-river-retreat

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Does she want to catch a silver on the fly or just any old way.

We will both be fly fishing. She has caught tons of silvers, just not yet on a fly rod. Seems she wants to break in her new K Kustom Rods St Croix 8 wt. We don't use pinning rods from the boat. The float rods are a special application tool for us. Carrie has transitioned into fly fishing exclusively and we no longer bring spinning gear on trips. I saw Steve's forum profile. Sending a PM didn't seem like a good move since he was last active on June 1st. Also, the website link above is defunct. Found it earlier myself and figured he no longer maintained a website. Us out of staters loves us some websites. ha ha.. If you bump in to him, feel free to give him my email. Looks like lots of good choices listed here. I will likely go with the first person to reply that is free that day. I usually plan things well in advance so this is very last minute by my standards. But she asked to catch a silver, what kind of man wouldn't facilitate that? Saturday is a good day to skip floating the upper so it makes a good choice for a paid trip. Hope to see you up there man.

-Dan

http://www.trophydrifters.com/about.html

Another Seward kid. Ben knows the river very well.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

If Dan and Jake are booked, I will shoot him an email. Thanks man.

D Ray is booked

Dang it to hell.

Still hoping to hear back from Troutfitter's and Jake.

Just rent a power boat and I'll drive you around Dan.

Where do we rent the boat Captain?

How the heck do I know!!!
    I'm just a dumb Canook!!!!!

Just got off the phone with Troutfitters and it looks like they have a spot for you.
    Find out who your guide is going to be and let me know will ya?

PS they sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    How the heck do I know!!!
    I'm just a dumb Canook!!!!!

Tempted to make that my new signature.

But, you been good to me over the years.

Guess it would be in bad taste (but funny)

10-4 on the boat idea. I talked to Joe and he is game. Let me know what you find out.

If nothing else, we could take the rafts from Dots to Bings as mentioned.

Lots of options.

-Dan

Call AK Bearpawdrifters, Scott is a good bud of mine and a heck of a fisherman. He has a dang nice powerboat and is a hoot to hang out with. Oh yeah and dude knows how to catch fish too. We fished trout with him last weekend when my folks were here, not the best day of fishing due to the rain but a great time was had by every frozen wet one of us.

Troutfitters- book Billy, the guy is a trout

All I can do is second (or is it third?) Steve McClure, my family has used him for a long time and he knows how to catch giant bows. I think Joey Jessal is down in Oregon and that might be why Jessal's guide service has been MIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast