Thread: Moose hunting question

Default Moose hunting question

Hello all, I am planning on hunting moose in unit 7, there is a 50 inch min, or 4 brows in that unit. My question is(being an out of state hunter, who doesn't hunt moose regularly), what happens if you shoot a moose that you estimate is over 50 inches and it turns out is just under, say 49 or 48 inches? Also is there any tricks or tips in identifying a 50 inch moose?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ricky123 View Post
    Hello all, I am planning on hunting moose in unit 7, there is a 50 inch min, or 4 brows in that unit. My question is(being an out of state hunter, who doesn't hunt moose regularly), what happens if you shoot a moose that you estimate is over 50 inches and it turns out is just under, say 49 or 48 inches? Also is there any tricks or tips in identifying a 50 inch moose?

thanks
    You get hit with fairly heavy penalties if you shoot anything that is sub-legal, no matter how close it is. If there is ANY level of doubt, DO NOT SHOOT! For most people I know, if hunting in a group (and this is with people who moose hunt all the time), if there is anyone in the group that isn't confident that the animal is legal, then nobody shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky123 View Post
    My question is(being an out of state hunter, who doesn't hunt moose regularly), what happens if you shoot a moose that you estimate is over 50 inches and it turns out is just under, say 49 or 48 inches?
    Certain doom.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Generally speaking, the distance between a fully grown moose's eyes (outside to outside) is about 10". You use that to estimate if he has two of those lengths (20") on each side. A cheater way to do it (my way) is get a variable power mil-dot scope. When he looks at you, dial the scope in until his eyes are 1 or 2 mil-dots apart. Then you can use your scope to estimate his size (50" will equal 5 or 10 mil-dot distances, respectively).

It's seems a bit late in the game to be asking this question. You have to practice a lot to get it somewhat in the ballpark. You also have to be ready to pass on a moose who is marginal. I had to pass on 2 moose last year who were sparring, each seemed like they MIGHT be 50". 50 1/2" if anything. Probably more like 47" was my estimate. As painful as it was, we had to watch them stroll along and not shoot. Be prepared to kick yourself for a whole year.

Here's a good video that should help. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ultimedia.main
    Go on this page and watch "Is this moose legal?" That should give you a good start.

I will say, of all the horror stories I've heard about shooting sub-legal moose, the worst thing is they all seem to vary. You have no idea how bad they'll decide to make it for you or if you'll walk away with a $200 fine. Be sure before you shoot.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If you don't have lots of practice judging it is best to just count brow tines. Just make sure you look at the regs and know the rules for brow tines. If you have to convince yourself something is a brow tine it is probably under the requirement. Always cheaper to be safe. I personally almost always use brow tine count. I am not familiar with 7 though, this might not work for you if the moose genetically just have few tines.

Thanks everyone