Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage,

Default Road Rage,

O.K. this comes up every year.

I traveled to fairbanks today for the first time in six months, ( thought I would beat the hunters for the weekend) man what a joke. I can relate to some that drive the older rigs that are going 55 and I deal with that because of my own rigs, but when someone slams on there breaks in front of me without turn signals and( I have 3 cars behind me) just to look at a moose in a pond, hmmm. They were going to go around me, and I had to pull out in front of them to avoid a rearend, and we all really could'nt see what was coming in the other lane, glad nobody was coming head on.

Dang people if you are going to road hunt, get off the road if you have a line of cars behind you. ( its not even open season in that area)

This was a 70's motorhome that was reg. in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    O.K. this comes up every year.

I traveled to fairbanks today for the first time in six months, ( thought I would beat the hunters for the weekend) man what a joke. I can relate to some that drive the older rigs that are going 55 and I deal with that because of my own rigs, but when someone slams on there breaks in front of me without turn signals and( I have 3 cars behind me) just to look at a moose in a pond, hmmm. They were going to go around me, and I had to pull out in front of them to avoid a rearend, and we all really could'nt see what was coming in the other lane, glad nobody was coming head on.

Dang people if you are going to road hunt, get off the road if you have a line of cars behind you. ( its not even open season in that area)

This was a 70's motorhome that was reg. in Alaska
    'Road rage' is a criminal offense. At least you're big enought to admit to it right up front. If you don't have the distance to safely stop when somebody slams on their brakes, it means you were following too closely, period. Pulling around the guy to avoid being rear ended yourself means everybody was tailgating. As you said, it's lucky there was no oncoming traffic. If this had turned into another big fatal accident, you would have been at fault.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

This is a 65 mph zone area and a straight stretch, but the one factor was there was one car that was facing our way sitting off the side of the road watching the moose and I was content to stay behind the rig til we got by said rig that was watching the moose. Anyone in the interior knows on the Shaw Creek Flats knows if there is a rig pulled over that there are moose being viewed. We were all doing 50 mph at the time and he got right next to the guy that was pulled overed ( off the road ) and slamed on his breaks. I had two choices, rearend him and let the others go around or take a chance and hope nobody was close to clearing them out as well, or take the blunt for all and go around him.

I was what I thought following him at a reasonable yardage compared to what the people climbing up my ass were, but I was not ready for that.

Most drivers up here tailgate....especailly the ones heading to the kenai. Imo that is the worst habit a driver can have. It leads to wrecks and deaths on the road. Slow down and smell the coffee. If you cant stop safely if the car in front of you stops.......you are following way to close. City drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default no one is above it.

everyone is capable of road rage

I'm probably going to stroke out one of these days while behind the wheel. Driving is the only aspect of my life where I can get really angry really fast. Of course, I "vent" a lot so usually the pressure cooks off, usually.

Two things in this country that are too easy to get...and driver's license and marriage license.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

When I attempt to leave proper distance between me and the guy in front of me in the passing lane going 63, four people cut me off and I still don't have the proper distance. Pretty soon I'm right back where I left from. That's what I like to call a no win situation. Sorry 'bout the highjack but you got me started. Some drivers really irritate me and I know what you mean by stroking out while driving. I've developed Tourette's while driving Alaska roads.

It seems like every time I headed up the richardson to go back to paxson, there were always plenty of motorhomes that were making their way north. Most of them didn't observe the signs that informed them that if there are so many cars behind them then they should pull over. If I backed off and put some room behind them and myself, there was always some idiot that would come around me and squeeze in. Sometimes I had to mash my own brakes to keep the idiot that tried to pass on a double yellow from getting into a really bad wreck. Is your life and someone else's really worth getting there faster? To me it isn't.

The scenery here in Alaska is breathtaking, take the time to see it.

I'm glad I only have thirteen miles of paved road to worry about and max speed is 45.With curves and frost heaves most drive 40 tops
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Road Rage is a criminal offense? I would love to see a cop pull someone over for being pissed off and enraged. I think maybe the acts that come from road rage are criminal offenses, not road rage itself.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I'm glad I only have thirteen miles of paved road to worry about and max speed is 45.With curves and frost heaves most drive 40 tops
    The rich can get some pretty gnarly potholes in it. I remember heading south to glennallen and watching the tourists in my rear view follow where I was going after a few miles because I knew where the heaves and the potholes were. Was actually pretty funny, I tried slowing down a little bit and they refused to go by me.

a few months back, here in fairbanks proper a road rage incident became murder

http://www.webcenter11.com/news/loca...ARa75YWmQ.cspx

Yeah, I don't want to hurt anybody. I just want them to go sometime today when the frickin light turns green. Maybe even use a turn signal to let me know they're about to cross into my lane as they make a "go for it" left on to the side street in front of me.

Little things.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

quite the story as i remember.the gist like this right here

somebody did bad driving move, somebody flipped somebody bird, somebody fallowed somebody till they stopped, somebody brandished a knife, somebody got their butt kicking for it, then somebody stabbed and killed the other somebody.

the particular road rage article i should have posted is here-

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...stabbing-death

First, I'm definitely not referring to anyone on this board:

The only time I get really upset behind the wheel is when some fool goes into his little "I'm fed up, I've had enough, EAT THIS!" attitude. Those are definitely the people who cause wrecks and deaths. I don't know of a single case of death caused by being patient behind the wheel. How many times have you been passed in a terrible spot by an idiot and thought "I wouldn't stop if he flipped 'er over just up the road"? I always try to remind myself of something: Most of these raging people are not worth the contents of their own bowels...so why mix it up with a loser?

Drive safely. Enjoy the trip more. Arrive 15 minutes later.

My wife tells me I drive like an old man due to my following distance....but she grew up in Seattle and often follows so close you can smell THEIR coffee....but she's getting better. I allow several car lengths for several reasons, safety if something happens ahead of me, time and a view to find my exit, less anxiety about the first reason making driving enjoyable, and it allows me to rubberneck a little bit because as said, there isn't a bad drive in the entire state.

If one does the math, it doesn't cost that much time to do 55 versus 65 for most drives.

K Dill,
    Funny you should mention the "Being passed by an idiot and stating the not helping them if the flipped just ahead part" Once while in Arkansas visiting my parents I was driving back to LA down a rural road and it was raining cats and dogs. This "idiot" in a little sports car is right on my @$$ with high beams blairing. He flies around me just prior to a slight curve in the road that is not sloped the right way so water is puddled up. You guessed it he hydroplanes right off the road in front of me and dead centers the largest southern pine within 5 miles. I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling and driving on but I helped and got the emergency responders there. Turns out he and his wife both suffered broken backs and a fractured collar bone. I did let the cop know that he was driving too fast for conditions. (the cop looked at me and said "you think?" and smiled) I could have sped up to keep him off my back side but why. Then I would have been the one wrapped around that tree, and I bet he would not have stopped!
    Steve

Hey Steve_O...

I'm with you on that! I admit that I might despise a man's driving habits, while still seeing his life as having value. I might have to be a little unsympathetic while dragging his butt out of a bad wreck, though. I've always had trouble accepting that someone in a hurry...with a temper...low on self-control, would take a chance with his, mine and many others' lives just to get somewhere 30 seconds faster. Especially hunting!

Plenty to be angry about in this ol' world, but it simply isn't worth getting angry, since it's your own life being shortened by stress! I think iofthetaiga said it best:
    If you don't have the distance to safely stop when somebody slams on their brakes, it means you were following too closely, period.
    The problem is, we all think we know what proper following distance "should" be, instead of changing our idea of it to adapt to reality (and idiot drivers are a reality everywhere!), the same way we might change a cherished hunting or fishing technique if it was no longer working on local game. As Rock_skipper's brave example shows:
    I was what I thought following him at a reasonable yardage compared to what the people climbing up my ass were, but I was not ready for that.
    sometimes we need to change our ideas or perceptions of what is reasonable, to adapt to other people's misbehavior. Personally, I brake for tailgaters!

So, if chinookee2004 is right that ''Most drivers up here tailgate...." then we can set a "new" driving standard:
    If you cant stop safely if the car in front of you stops.......you are following way to close.
    Perhaps if enough of us slow down, maybe it will eventually slow down all the other "idiots" on the road, by forcing them to adapt to the new driving conditions? Maybe, or maybe not, but to end on a happy note, if we sympathize with Fishkill about being cut off:
    and I know what you mean by stroking out while driving. I've developed Tourette's while driving Alaska roads.
    then let's all at least make sure we're cussin' with a smile on our faces!

Maybe this is new to a lot of folks, but I learned to drive with the 2 second rule. You simply follow 2 seconds behind someone and it gives you plenty of room for reaction time and stopping distance if their car stops shorter than yours. I don't know how to deal with the fools that insist on passing and then pulling right in front of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast