View Poll Results: What date would work the best for the poker run?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saturday, 10/1/2011

8 88.89%
  • Saturday 10/8/2011

1 11.11%
  • Saturday 10/15/2011

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th annual AOD poker run!

Default 4th annual AOD poker run!

Time to start thinking about dates for the 4th Annual poker run! Thanks again to the Alaska ATV club for making it happen last year. I'd like to see it happen during the first part of October so lets look at the dates of 10/1, 10/8, or 10/15. If anyone is available to help with the logistics, send me a note!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

where is the ride going to be?

Just to keep things simple we'll have it at Jim creek again. Start at the pavilion then work our way to Wolf point for lunch at the 1/2 way point then finish back at the pavilion again. In the past we have left around 10am and are usually back and finished up by 5pm or so.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

10/8 is the pistol course several of us will be at. 10/1 or 10/15 work for me...if I can find time to ever make it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

So it looks like 10/1 is the date of choice to this point. We have had a great turnout over the last three years with over 100 riders the very first year! This is a family friendly event so we ask that folks keep that in mind with their behavior around the group.

The format goes something like this -

Meet at the pavilion area at the Jim creek trailhead.

0800-1000 - registration. Anyone is welcome to ride and there is no charge. There is a $10 buy in per poker hand. We had 78 poker hands the first year which meant a $390 pot for the winners! Please register by 1000 to play the hand, I can't keep the registration table open past 1000 or else the rest of the schedule will be behind right off the bat. When you register, you will get a map that shows the checkpoints and the times they are open. Your name will be recorded in the score book for the poker hand at registration as well.

1000 - Hit the trail! We don't necessarily have to leave as a group. There are 3 checkpoints out on the trail between Jim creek and Wolf point (Jim creek crossing, Friday creek, and Wolf point). We will have lunch in the large meadows just below Wolf point then turn around and head back to the Jim creek crossing for the 4th card and draw the 5th back at the parking lot. The winning hands will be determined and the pot will be split between the high and low hands for the day according to the card values recorded in the book.

The checkpoints are noted on the maps handed out at registration and are very simple to find. Each checkpoint will be open for specific times then moved on to the next location. The route you take to get to the next point is up to you, just be sure to stop in when it is open.

In the past we have been back to the parking lot and are wrapped up around 5pm if all goes well.

Please post any concerns/questions/suggestions so we can make this a great event!
    AKmud

Where does the other half of the money go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Where does the other half of the money go?
    It's split 50/50 between the best hand and the worst hand. No one else gets a cut, it all goes to those two hands.
    AKmud

Another thing!

We have had really good support from local businesses in the past for door prizes so if you are attending and maybe have some connections.... (you get my drift?) I usually try to hit up some of the ATV shops around Wasilla and have had very welcome response so far. If you are able to secure some prizes, just bring them to registration or get in touch with me ahead of time and I can pick items up along the way.
    AKmud

So, I found out about this on another site. Hoping I can make it. Sounds fun!

so there is a poster at honda of anchorage for a poker run on the 24th of september, is this a different one?
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    so there is a poster at honda of anchorage for a poker run on the 24th of september, is this a different one?
    Yes, the ATV club is putting one on that weekend too.
    AKmud

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Having never been to (nor being able to find on the Matsu Borough web site) the Jim Creek Trail head pavilion, where can one find this poker run start? Have never seen a building near the river/bridge area...though I have only been there in an air boat off the north side of the Old Glen.

If you know where the drag strip is then go past it to the huge parking lot at the end on the right before the 90 corner at the gravel pit. It is called the pavilion but it's just a concrete pad now. the pavilion has since went away.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

IT would be great if you and Mike Echo could get together and agree on one date for the poker run. Splitting the participation in half is not the way to go. If that is not possible then I hope all ATV'ers will plan on the October 1st ride with you.

The first is a whole lot better than the 24th. I can't see how anyone would think that having an ATV poker run the last weekend of moose season would be a good idea. I would expect a low turnout and plenty of ticked off hunters in the area.

Just a reminder! Now that moose season is over in 14A.... What better than a fun filled day with the family riding to Wolf point? Mark your calendar, next Saturday (10/1) is our 4th annual Jim Creek poker run. Make it if you can! So far in the past three years we have averaged nearly 100 riders (most of which played the poker hand...). Lets break 100 again this year!
    AKmud

Tomorrow is it! We will have registration open till 10am at the pavilion parking lot. If you are running late, I will let folks register for the poker hand at the first checkpoint (Jim Creek crossing), after that it will be too late!

Hope to see you there!!
    AKmud

Default AOD Poker Run Fun!

Thanks AKMUD, for organizing a fun ride! had a great day with mud, rain, driving sleet and lotsa laughs! The day ended with the split the pot, door prizes being handed out, and a grin all the way home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...a few more pics...

...and a few more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast