Thread: Rigging for pike

Default Rigging for pike

I've been trying my luck with pike lately and am having moderate success with spoons and some topwater hardware, but I was wondering about fishing herring under a bobber...

How do you rig herring for pike in the summer? and, how do you fish it? I tried simply using 1/2 a troll herring on a 2/0 hook about 12-14" below a bobber and was fishing it in the holes of clear water among the weeds where we had been getting strikes on topwater, but I had no takers. If you chuck herring in to the weeds close to where they are hiding, how long does it take for them to respond typically (I know there is no set time, but how long before I should re-cast to another area?)?

For info, there were a lot of fish in the area and they would be actively feeding on top for about 20-30 minutes then would settle down for an hour or so then start hitting on top again so I know I had to be close to these critters with the herring.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have hung hooligan (whole) under a bobber as you described and fish the edges of the weedbeds. I can't recall waiting too long for a strike. This was also in the spring though when they are very active after ice out.
    BK

why use a stinky herring when they're hitting topwater? try a jerk bait just under the surface too btw
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I like to use a size 4 treble hook on a 6 inch steel leader with half a herring. Then I put a slip bobber with a bobber stop on. This allows me to change the depth easily, as well as jig the bait. If a fish doesn't take the bait after five mins and some jigging I will reel in and re-cast. This works great around weedbeds.

The last I used them I plug cut them and trolled along the edge of cover with a light Keel sinker. I used heavy mono for the leader of course. But it was uber effective the amount of fish we took out of Trapper lake during our 3 day stay. Others results may vary of course. The key was a slow roll on the plug and that was it.

I don't think I'd really worry about bait until the water gets cold. I've rigged herring so it's upside down, verticle, it doesn't matter, but that's also during ice fishing season. They'll bite it if they feel inclined to hit. The time of day makes a big difference right now. In the mornings and evenings they'll start to go on the bite, but when it's bright and warm they get a bit lethargic. Try throwing a huge topwater out and making lots of racket across the water. Gets 'em going usually. My favorite topwater lure is a rapala with the split in the middle, gold color. They go nuts over it, especially in tea-stained water.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My experience has been that Pike are Predators and they like to chase and kill their prey. I would always think that Pke would pick something that was moving over something that wasn't. I would think they would swim right by a dead bait if you pulled a live one across it. Who knows!
    My favorite lure is a Cabela's Mad Tommy Frog rigged weed less. They love the stuff! Check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFs9n3mysj0
    Mad Tommy Watermelon Seed: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-AquaGlow-Mad-Tommy/739325.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fs ch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmad%2Btommy% 26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D11%26y%3D10&Ntt=mad+tommy&WTz _l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products#cImage=s7_121775_999_alt01_01
    Rigging hooks: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=743304&destination=%2Fchecko ut%2Fitem_added_to_cart.jsp%3Fresult%3Dsuccess%26c ategoryIds%3D104793480%7C104772780%7C104347080%7C% 26searchPath%3D%252Fcatalog%252Fsearch.cmd%253Ffor m_state%253DsearchForm%2526N%253D0%2526fsch%253Dtr ue%2526Ntk%253DAllProducts%2526Ntt%253Dmad%252Btom my%2526WTz_l%253DHeader%25253BSearch-All%252BProducts%2526x%253D11%2526y%253D10%26produ ctId%3D739325%26backToPreviousUrl%3D%252Fcatalog%2 52Fproduct.jsp%253FproductId%253D739325%2526dropDo wnGroupValues%253A0%253D004%2526dropDownGroupValue s%253A0%253D059
    Wether it's true or not it is simply just a hoot to see that rip coming at your lure and those multible strikes. Yep! Nothing better than fishing for Pike with Top Water Gear!
    Note: I started using braided line (Spiderwire Sealth Braid) on my reels for Pike fishing. I found that braided line improved my hook set of fish (like Pike) that have a really hard mouth.
    Louis

the best way to fish herring is just rig them to roll and cast and retrieve them with no weight at all. It works great. Soft plastic is really fun to fish too.

Flies work best
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If they are actively feeding on the surface I would go straight to a frog colored ChugBug! If that didn't work, I would go to a floating mouse fly or a black leach fly.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I don't know if you guys have chubs, sucker, or large minnows up there, but that's what we use. You can either buy them or catch your own. What they are is a large minnow, anywhere from 4" to 8" long. We use a long shanked hook with a leader. Hook them thru the lips, to keep them alive as long as you can. Then fish them under a big bobber, 4 feet or so. We put out one of these when we get to a spot. Then we cast with our other poles. sometimes the fish that follow your lures up, but don't bite. Will hit the minnow. Or they will just hit the minnow. But it has to be alive. Good fishing.

I believe pike are primarily sight predators, give them some flash and motion, save the bait for burbot.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_o View Post
    I don't know if you guys have chubs, sucker, or large minnows up there, but that's what we use. You can either buy them or catch your own. What they are is a large minnow, anywhere from 4" to 8" long. We use a long shanked hook with a leader. Hook them thru the lips, to keep them alive as long as you can. Then fish them under a big bobber, 4 feet or so. We put out one of these when we get to a spot. Then we cast with our other poles. sometimes the fish that follow your lures up, but don't bite. Will hit the minnow. Or they will just hit the minnow. But it has to be alive. Good fishing.
    FYI........ All live bait is illegal in Alaska. No chubs/minnows

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_o View Post
    Sorry but live bait is ilegal in Alaska freshwaters.
    Also we do not have Creek CHubs ,Sucker minnows, or Shiners in our waters.
    I like to rig up for pike using quickstrike rigs. 2 treble hooks size 6 or 8 rigged on sevenstrand wire so the bait hangs roughly level.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have been fishing the Pike for Years out of Kotz, big fish!

Try a steel leader, 12 inches or so and get crazy with the top water stuff. We like to toss Rats, Frogs, and Ducks as well as some really ugly Muskey Plugs. Keep in mind that Pike are always looking up and try tossing your plus into the willows and jerking it out just like a rat falling out of the willows. Bring it back with a few jerks so it looks like a injured rat and get ready!

Walt