Thread: Road hunting question.

Default Road hunting question.

Ok checked the regs and it states:

You May Not take game by:
    *Shooting on, from, or across the drivable surface of any constructed road or highway

So here is my question is there a minimum distance you have to be off the road to shoot I have heard people say 20' some say as long as your not standing on the road? I know that many places have strict regulations as far as no shooting with in 1/4 mile of road like Turnigan Arm and such but if its not stated in the regs what is the magical distance?

There is no magical distance. The state leaves it up to the user to find out the local rules for any area they choose to hunt in.

The hunting regulations only govern hunting. Other political subdivisions of the state or local authority (city) may have their own requirement. Sometimes these requirements end up in the hunting regulations. You will see this for unit 14C for small and big game hunting in Anchorage and specific management units near Anchorage. In the Chugach State park you have to be XXX distance from the highway before shooting. This is not in the regulations but can be found when reading the details for specific cow moose drawing permits. The regulation comes from the state park rules and do not apply when hunting the general season moose further down the highway when you are now in the National Forest land and outside the state park.

The regulation says the drivable surface so if you are shooting near a road you need to be off the driveable surface. Saw a guy cited for kneeling off the driving surface but his foot was still on the driving surface.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

In my limited experience, enforcement takes the position, "If the shot was taken from any drivable portion of the road, it was illegal." Guys have been cited for shooting from a steep shoulder, for example. Some have argued that the shoulder is not a "drivable portion of the road" when the grade is steep, though the usually use. So long as you step off the road and off the shoulder, however, you should be okay.

just to settle this for ever... maybe

1. step off the pavement, and off the gravel, onto dirt and native shrubs, you are now in "gray area" Shoot if you feel lucky and think the game police will be kind if one jumps out.

2. walk down past the ditch and stand on the other side, or if there is no ditch, make sure you can reach out and touch a tree. Now you are legal for sure, unless you turn back around and shoot across the road.

but mostly, i think of it this way. if someone put what you (or me) did up on this forum, would there be a major outry of that is nonsense or would people scream at me for being "dumb" or unethical.

My take of this is 'any part of a constructed road way'! To me that means the pavement, shoulder, drainage ditch that was make in building the road and off any material that may have been moved while building the road. The further I can get away from the road the better that I feel.

And what if it is a private road........? I can shoot game out my window, but not from my driveable logging road......?

The question is driveable with "WHAT".......? My duce & half......? And what of the Palmer Creek road when covered with snow.....? Still driveable.....? What about Driveable roadways built on lake ice........?

Guys, to be safe I believe you need to to be ( in complince with the law 100' from the center line of the highway) This is a touchy subject, so be safe and it would be alot better to keep your animal than to give it up because of a distance that we are talking about here, wait til it is in the ditch and going into the brush then they can't take it away from you. I believe you are also supposed to be the same distance from the road,( major highway) before you shoot, correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Guys, to be safe I believe you need to to be ( in complince with the law 100' from the center line of the highway) This is a touchy subject, so be safe and it would be alot better to keep your animal than to give it up because of a distance that we are talking about here, wait til it is in the ditch and going into the brush then they can't take it away from you. I believe you are also supposed to be the same distance from the road,( major highway) before you shoot, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't think that is accurate as a general rule with regards to areas only governed by what the OP stated. There may be some places that have that specifically as a rule, similar to those areas that specifically state that you can't shoot within 1/4 mile of the road, but not when it only says you have to be off the driveable surface. 100' (50' each direction from centerline) is a somewhat typical "right of way" width, but that has nothing to do with the regulations.

I think it was pretty well stated above, make sure you are off the asphalt, and off any bit of the gravel shoulder and probably even to the bottom of the ditch since the foreslopes of the roads are considered a "traversable slope" if they are less than a 3:1 angle.

I've seen some drunks prove that the driveable surface can be a very wide area and often into the treeline
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Asked that question to the F&G officer who stopped while I was fixing a flat for last years bou hunt in oct on the denali. He walked off the "driving surface" and stood on the slope - held his arms out and said that was good anywhere in front. I would say it is going to be up to the individual officer. Good luck to all

I think there are two parts to this. 1. The drivable surface. And 2. Constructed road. They can use drivable surface as any part of the constructed road that can be negotiated with a D10 Cat. The constructed road part is any part of the surrounding area that has been man modified to make the road. I wouldn't put it past them to call a gravel borrow pit to be part of the road construction. And it does say ANY road so private would count as well. Now, you can always get your day in court, but that will cost a bunch even if you win. Isn't it great? The police interpret the rules and you pay for it win or lose. Basically, get off any part of anything that was used or modified to make the road. And make sure your bullet doesn't go over anything that might be considered a road.

Just step off the roadway and the embankment just to be safe, and u will be good. Unless there is a specific distance in a certain area. And never shoot across a roadway!