Thread: canoe down the yukon

Default canoe down the yukon

I'm thinking of planning a canoe trip for next summer.
    I'm working on an outline, as far as supplies and resupply points etc, as well as start and stop locations.
    Anybody here done such a thing?..... advice?

Thanks y'all....

reuben....

quite a few people have floated the river, an some people race boats out of fairbanks , the bigest problem you will have, where to start an stop, Eagle to Circle , Eagle to the Bridge on the hall road, Whitehorse CA. to Alaska then you can get out at any of the spots you want , what you did not say is it a paddle trip , paddle /.motor, l motor all the way, if you want to get out below the bridge on Hall road it will cost you a lot [no roads] there are some books on it, but I am at a loss for them, the river is slow an the wind will not help most of the time, it always seams to blow up river

Two books of interest.

Paddling The Yukon River and Its Tributaries ... Dan Maclean. Good survey for possible trips.

Land Gone Lonesome ... Dan O'Neil. Great read about his travels in the river country between Dawson City and Circle City. I want to do that trip and stop in to visit Bushrat, who frequents these forums.

Like Sid, I'm more likely to use my motor canoe for my travels, taking my 16' double-ender along to explore those areas where the motor canoe is inappropriate.

You're talking about a long river.....if you narrow your question, you might get more responses....

Rooster! Is that you!?

You can resupply at any village store, they will be happy to take your $$$. It's worth buying the stuff there so you don't have to fly stuff in ahead of time and hope to find it when you get there. If you are going past the haul road you might as well plan to leave your canoe and sell it for whatever you can get where ever you stop. It's too expensive to ship it out.

I grew up on the Lower Yukon. You won't see many canoes and when the wind is blowing up river, which is most of the time the paddling will be tiresome.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Thanks for all the input gang. Like I said, I'm in the VER EARLY stages of planning. I'll look into those books seeing is that I'm at the library right now. I've got all fall and winter to study up and see if it is feasible. I only have an electric trolling motor for my little grumman. I'm figuring I'd have to procure a larger one... That alone is the deal breaker...
    Yeah this is reuben(rooster)... I don't have my own internet anymore so my time online is very limited... Hopefully will have satellite internet at my homestead by winter..
    Thanks all....