Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the French make rifles?

Default Can the French make rifles?

You be the judge. This rifle is made by a company called Verney-Carron. Rifles are built to order and this one was ordered in November. Caliber is 450/400 and it is built as a "true" left handed with the left trigger out in front firing the left barrel, right in rear, firing the right barrel. It has a flip up "night sight" front bead for low light conditions and a 3 leaf rear sight, which now I think is something that will not see any use. This rifle is a Azur Safari Standard model and the wood is not upgraded. Both triggers break crisp at about 5 pounds and it also has ejectors. It weighs exactly 10 pounds. Has a built in scope mount as these old eyes might add a 1x4 scope on at some point. With luck, she will kill a moose next month.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee

And a couple more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee

Fusil très intéressant. Lui avez-vous mis le feu ? Est-il précis ?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

They have had a few makers that could build with the best anywhere and yours is an outstanding example.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd say the French do alright in the gunmaking dept.

That is a very fine double you have there Snowwolf!

The Darne shotguns are very nice. Their military weapons have not won any wars though.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Tres bien monsieur! Very good sir!

As stated with hunting arms the French can build with the best of them and have a well established hunting and shooting culture although many of their arms seldom find their way here...

Their military arms are a victim of their political leadership but that's fairly recent- in years gone by the French had a military system that was relatively well established and spanned the globe. The French Foreign Legion was among the toughest troops found anywhere prior to WWII.

The good thing about French rifles is that if you happen to pick one up it will probably be in like-new condition. Just brush the dirt off it from where the French guy dropped it when he ran away, and you're in business....

Seriously, though, I have seen a couple of very nice French guns. Yours looks like another.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Well they make some really bad guns (chauchat/sho-sho, mas-49 and so on) I guess they figure nobody is gonna use them anyway. But they also make some very good hunting arms like that one there, their doubles as fine as the English doubles just not as well thought of here because they are French.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The French Charleville musket conquered Europe under Napolean and helped the US kick the Brits into the sea. Many of their pre 1900 made 8mm Lebels saw service in WWll on the Ethiopian side against the Italians. The AXIS finally halted the opposition using airplanes and poison gas against camels and their riders. Many were confiscated during Desert Storm as well in 91' a hundred years after they were produced. Their biggest problem today is that without their N-block style clips they become single shots and the clips are hard to find.
    The 36' MAS was a good rifle it just wasn't manufactured with a safety. The MAS 49' is the rifle they wish they had in 1940.It's semi-auto, 30 caliber, with 30-40 Krag power makes it a decent rifle. Firearms aren't normally the French armys problem as much as politics.
    They still make fine firearms and still have questionable political views.
    That is a fine rifle rifle good luck this season.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Dunno if they can make them...proven fact they can't use them.

You know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris? Nobody else knows, either...it's never been done.

Very nice looking gun snowwolfe,
    Have not seen any of those at Wally World for sure!
    Good luck dropping a moose with that cannon!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Wow thats a rifle! Its refreshing to see something different. Been awhile since I saw a gun that made be drool. Have you shot it yet? Please tell us how it does. That looks like an awfull thin butpad for such a big round. I also just peeked at a few for sale. Wow, I will be dreaming of owning one, probably forever

Plan on shooting it tomorrow. Cheek piece feels a little high so don't know if it will belt me in the cheek or not. Recoil should not be to bad. 400 grain bullet at approximately 2,100 fps coming from a 10 pound rifle. Certaintly less than a .416 Rem Mag. These rimmed big bore rounds seem to have more of a push than a snap. Plus they are designed to be shot from the shoulder, not off the bench.

Took three years of selling off old guns and saving to be able to get this one. That first scratch is gonna be a biotch to look at though, lol. As I age I am learning to appreciate quality over quantity.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The MAS 49' is the rifle they wish they had in 1940.It's semi-auto, 30 caliber, with 30-40 Krag power makes it a decent rifle.
    I bought a lot of 25 MAS 49s about 25 years ago and only one of them would cycle . . . it was unstoppable full auto till the mag went dry!! I'm a pretty fair hand and I couldn't make any of them worth the $50 a unit I paid. Sold them to another fool that was sure (as I had been) he could make them run . . . went through 2 other guys before I lost track of them. I'd take a 36 bolt gun over the 49 any day, I'll leave all the 49s for you thanks!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Beautiful gun - will make an interesting harvest photo with your moose!
    Best of luck.

One of the best many years ago and probably still makeing fine guns
    http://www.ggranger.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yes, the French can make great weapons, they just like to, or know how to, fight well with them.

The Complete Military History of France:

Gallic Wars - Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

Hundred Years War - Mostly lost, saved at last by a female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare: "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman."

Italian Wars - Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

Wars of Religion - France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

Thirty Years War - France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

War of Devolution - Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

The Dutch War - Tied

War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War - Lost, but claimed a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

War of the Spanish Succession - Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

American Revolution - In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as the "de Gaulle Syndrome," and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare: "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

French Revolution - Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

The Napoleonic Wars - Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

The Franco-Prussian War - Lost. Germany first plays the role of the drunk frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

World War I - Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

World War II - Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

War in Indochina - Lost. French forces plead sickness and take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu.

Algerian Rebellion - Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare: "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Esquimaux.

War on Terrorism - France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to the Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to the Vietnamese ambassador, fails after he takes refuge in a McDonald's. After the Madrid bombings, the French official Terrorism Threat Level is raised from “Run” to “Hide.” The only higher official French Terrorism Threat Levels are: “Surrender” and “Collaborate!”

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
    --- General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    --Norman Schwartzkopf

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
    --- Regis Philbin

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
    ---- Marge Simpson

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
    ---Mark Twain

I have a Verney Caron 20 gauge side by side that is the most beautiful and accurate little gun I've ever seen. My dad's story is that when we lived in Germany (54 years ago) he was out hunting with a Jeager when they came across a Frenchman poaching on the property. The Jeager seized the shotgun he was using and sent him on his way. As he walked off the Jeager turned to my dad and said"want this?" I fell in love with it on my first duck hunt when I was ten, and dad gave it to me a few years ago. Everybody that sees it tries to buy it or trade me out ofit, ain't happening! Yes, the French make some very good guns.
    Last edited by kitchensmith; 08-14-2011 at 19:28. Reason: Spelling

The french do well making firearms and other stuff IF they copy the designs of others. Left on there own they come up with all sorts of wierd stuff just trying to be different. But what do you expect of a country whose offical battle flag is white.

We should have made Germany stay in and run france as a punishment for starting WWII - in a hundred years or so the Germans could probably made some improvements in the genetics of the population.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast