Thread: Get Your "MIND" Right Moose Hunters....Yuck

Default Get Your "MIND" Right Moose Hunters....Yuck

I am having a very hard time with the Changes to the harvest-able Moose requirements. Maybe it partly old age, partly having never been all that bright to start with, but I am having trouble remembering NO more spike and no more "3" brow tines for both Subsistence and Harvest Tickets on the Kenai Peninsula.

It's just another depletion of a resource on the Kenai. Even in my short 14 years on the peninsula I have seen bulls get fewer, halibut get smaller, lake trout get scarcer. King salmon...!? Next it will be spruce chickens. The black bear seem to be doing OK. Wish we had blacktail on the pen.

I will not be hunting moose on the pen this year.

How times have changed in a few short years. Remember when the first greeting when meeting friends in the fall; "Didja get your Moose, yet?" It never was a matter of IF...only when,

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    How times have changed in a few short years. Remember when the first greeting when meeting friends in the fall; "Didja get your Moose, yet?" It never was a matter of IF...only when,
    Plus there was a second (Winter) moose season that opened in December, for a second Moose. You could harvest two, but only one in each season.

Yeah, but the Kenai gets a little less productive each year as the calendar keeps putting distance between the "Great Swanson River Fire" and the habitat's ability to produce moose feed.

You guys were in your hunting prime back when the forage was in its prime and able to support high moose densities. Now everything is more mature...which is better for you guys, but for the browse? Not so much.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Yeah, but the Kenai gets a little less productive each year as the calendar keeps putting distance between the "Great Swanson River Fire" and the habitat's ability to produce moose feed.

You guys were in your hunting prime back when the forage was in its prime and able to support high moose densities. Now everything is more mature...which is better for you guys, but for the browse? Not so much.
    Great Point.........Sorry I could not rep point you, but most excelent observation.

We've tossed the "whys" of the reduction in peninsula moose population around before. To recap, theories include:
    - too much hunting pressure;
    - lack of browse;
    - highway fatalities;
    - burgeoning black/brown bear population.

I think it is all of the above.
    I don't think it is the harvesting of spike/forks or sub 50" moose, but what do I know?

and that is why i relocated into the interior

i can always "GO" fishing

You only have yourselves to blame!!Haha!. Bet you all talked up what a great place to live the Kenai Pen was, eh? Now half the state lives there. Changing habitat and more hunters. Are you really surprised?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You only have yourselves to blame!!Haha!. Bet you all talked up what a great place to live the Kenai Pen was, eh? Now half the state lives there. Changing habitat and more hunters. Are you really surprised?
    Not me! I've been telling people how the peninsula sucks, so don't move here (though I never meant it before). Now I'd have to admit that it is becoming somewhat true with too many people, and too few resources. Besides, your premise is wrong anyway; most of the people who deplete the resources don't live here, they just weekend here.

It is still wonderful here in Sunrise, Alaska. My original post had to do with, after many years of: Spike or 50" now I have to reprogram my noodle. Not so easy when your old and fat and not so bright.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is still wonderful here in Sunrise, Alaska. My original post had to do with, after many years of: Spike or 50" now I have to reprogram my noodle. Not so easy when your old and fat and not so bright.
    Well me too, except I still prefer mulligan bulls to spike/forks! In our case we'd better reprogram quick as age catches up and Alaska fills up, and finding a legal bull becomes strictly a young man's game.

They have youth hunts, maybe they should have senior's hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Besides, your premise is wrong anyway; most of the people who deplete the resources don't live here, they just weekend here.
    Sayak, did you actually mean that? These are public resources and every user of a depleting resource contributes to its depletion! Not equally, but certainly proportionally!

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Sayak, did you actually mean that? These are public resources and every user of a depleting resource contributes to its depletion! Not equally, but certainly proportionally!
    Seraphina, dear, go back and look at the post I was responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Seraphina, dear, go back and look at the post I was responding to.
    Yes, I did, and I'm still surprised by what you said. Seemed pretty out of character from your other posts, so I re-read it many times before posting my question. Just re-read the thread yet again and guess I'm still missing the point, or the joke, or whatever.