Thread: Rifle Scope on a Pistol....Experiment (TMG)

Default Rifle Scope on a Pistol....Experiment (TMG)

The Meat Getter (TMG), well that is a bit assumptive at this point. I sold one of my last elephant guns (.375H&H) and bought some smaller stuff. One of which is the Ruger 45/22 MarkIII (Catalog# P45GMK3PRRP).

I have Leupold Pistol scopes on some Freedom Arms .454 Casull revolvers, and have always experienced a hardship in finding the reticle at arms length. So I wondered about putting a large rifle scope on a non-recoiling pistol.

I put a Leupold straight 2.5X Compact Rifle scope on the Ruger and it works perfect. It has about 5 1/4" of eye relief and the bolt only blows'back as far as the rear most part of the scope. Procuring the target is quick and easy with a full field of view. On'guard Grouse & Ptarmigan my latest Escape & Evasion/Survival Pistols was born.

I can see it on a 22.

Had to do first aid once on a guy (ID10T fer sure) who showed up at the range with one on a Super Redhawk. Scoping himself in the eyebrow bad enough for stitches was only half the story. The hammer spur took a big old hunk out of the end of his nose. I'll always wonder about that guy, because he wiped enough blood out of his eye to try it again while holding the gun a little further away. I couldn't tell whether it was the scope or the hammer, but something took another chunk out of him right at the hair line. Egad.

It works fine for light recoil rounds. I have a 3x9 on a TC in 22KH and it's fine. Had another on a 256Win in a TC and it was ok. Parrallax will be a little off but probably won't make a lot of difference. You might try one of the EER scout scopes and see if it works out better to give more eye relief. You may or may not be able to find the reticle quicker on one of those. I mounted one of the old 2.5x Bushnell Phantoms on a Ruger MKI in the early 70s. It took a bit of using before it became easy to find the reticle but now it just pops up with out fighting it. Mine has taken a pile of small game over the years. A grouse or ptarmagin at 50yds or less is meat in the pot. And if suppressed it would be about as good as you could get for the escape/evasion/survival pistol. Unsupported 2.5 power is about all most people can hold on target.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My concern would be having a gun, any gun, go off close to my face.

For reasons of noise, recoil, and powder blast.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    My concern would be having a gun, any gun, go off close to my face.

For reasons of noise, recoil, and powder blast.

Smitty of the North
    OK, exactly how far is your face from a High Powered Rifle or a shotgun when it goes off.............exactly the same distance as the pistol I describe above.

Actually, on my PS-90, my right ear is over the chamber. And on the LAR Grizzly 50 BMG, it's the same thing, your head is resting against the chamber..... No big deal in my book. We had guys mounting big Leupold target scopes on various 22 target pistols 20-25 years ago, and I'm sure it wasn't new even then. If it works for you, then run it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OK, exactly how far is your face from a High Powered Rifle or a shotgun when it goes off.............exactly the same distance as the pistol I describe above.
    Think about it. A rifle is not comparable.

With an Auto Pistol, you have the action opening, and gas spewing. With a revolver there is the space between the cylinder and barrel, where gas and possibly lead can escape. ALSO, handgun barrels are shorter, putting the muzzle blast closer to your ears.

Given, all that, I prefer to fire a handgun at arms length.

I damaged my ears shooting a 357 Magnum too close to my face. (ONE SHOT) It had a 5.5" barrel too, not a snubbie.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.