Thread: Nabesna River

Default Nabesna River

Anyone ever canoe the Nabesna River from Nabesna Rd. to the Tok Cutoff? Looking for any pointers or stuff to watch out for. I am assuming a lot of sweepers and log jams, any other tricky parts to watch out for?

Thanks, Tom

Lots of braids, shallows, channels. Can get high in a hurry if the rains come.
    Pretty country all around.

Exclamation lookout...

for pirates, TomM keep ye cannons pointed towards ye port side. Arrrr!!!

Default rafted this area

A couple of buddies and I lined a raft from the Nebesna road to the river and did some sheep hunting on the upper part of the river. There were some spots that would be tricky in a canoe, very fast shallow water,
    we kept having to jump out of the raft and walk or run along with it and jump back in . The lower part of the river was slow and uneventful.
    good luck Brian

Default Nabesna

You won't float back to Tok Cut-off unless you are going to float the Nabesna to the Tanana and down to the Tanana River Bridge near Tok. You will start your float from the Nabesna Rd and then float to Northway, or like I said before, past there and down to the bridge near Tok. You will need to "ferry" a car to Northway and then be dropped off on the Nabesna Road. You won't want to float past Northway as the water is SLOW and very boring. If you float down Jack Creek to the Nabesna River, it is VERY hard on canoes. You may spend more time walking. I floated it once with a fiberglass canoe and it broke the crap out of it. Since then, I've floated it over 10 times with a raft. If you are experienced with a canoe, no problem. The river is braided quite a bit up further, but you should be able to easily avoid the sweepers. There will be some interesting places though. Some big waves (rollers) also. I know of quite a few people that float it with canoes. It wouldn't be my choice of craft, but I am not experienced in one. I tend to gravitate toward the jetboat now! Quite fun getting up there with all the channels and trying to figure out which one is not going to run out of water!

northway:
    Have you seen any Airboat on the Nabesna?
    How far is it Northway to the Nabesna road?

Default Rutting moose

I've seen a couple up there and I've seen one IN the river. They are allowed on the refuge, but not in the preserve as I understand. The refuge/preserve boundary is right near the mountains. You can't get to Nabesna Road from the river. You have to take a trail or a creek to get to the actual road. Not sure how far in exact miles. My guess would be about 50 miles. Pretty country but not much in animals anymore. The sheep hunting has went down hill drastically. Sad situation.

Default northway

northway:
    I have not been to Tok in many years and was thinking about going up there and looking around.

Maybe bring the Airboat and run a few rivers. If the wife does not want to come along, I would have an empty seat if you were interested.

Default Rutting moose

Thanks for the offer. All depends on the time of year and what I am doing. My summer is quite busy this year that is for sure! Send me a pm when it is closer and we will see what we can do!

Tom, Make sure you check on land owner status near the Nabesna Road. Might be tough to get to the river without corssing private property. Northway can probably fill you in on that better than me.