Thread: Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent

Default Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent

Hey all. I just ordered the 6 person tent. I have a quick question for those who have one. I want to lay a tarp down under the tent. Just to help prolong the tent life. What size tarp would work best?

Quote Originally Posted by FSHKLR View Post
    Hey all. I just ordered the 6 person tent. I have a quick question for those who have one. I want to lay a tarp down under the tent. Just to help prolong the tent life. What size tarp would work best?
    Cabelas makes a ground cover tarp that is the exact size of the tent. I have the same tent and ground cover, plus the internal floor saver. If you don't want the Cabelas's ground cover then I would start with a 12X12 tarp and cut it to fit the geodesic shape of the tent. You don't want the ground cover tarp to stick out past the rainfly. With a normal square or rectangle tarp IMO you would have to fold it to make sure it was under the tent and not sticking out where it could catch rain water. The ground cover tarp is not so much to protect the floor as it is to keep the tent from sitting in water and/or when you roll the tent up the bottom of the floor does not have condensation built up on it. The floors in and of themselves are very, very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Cabelas makes a ground cover tarp that is the exact size of the tent. I have the same tent and ground cover, plus the internal floor saver. If you don't want the Cabelas's ground cover then I would start with a 12X12 tarp and cut it to fit the geodesic shape of the tent. You don't want the ground cover tarp to stick out past the rainfly. With a normal square or rectangle tarp IMO you would have to fold it to make sure it was under the tent and not sticking out where it could catch rain water. The ground cover tarp is not so much to protect the floor as it is to keep the tent from sitting in water and/or when you roll the tent up the bottom of the floor does not have condensation built up on it. The floors in and of themselves are very, very tough.
    Yup. What he said. However, I've never had the Cabela's ground cover to use. Always thrown a tarp down under and folded corners under tent. Has always worked for me.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default thx

thx guys. cant wait to get the tent.

You will enjoy that tent, got one a couple years ago. it really stands up to wind if it is put up correctly and it does great in the rain.

If you have access to some left over house wrap or tyvek you can make yourself a foot print pretty easy, just...

1) Sweep your driveway clear of pebbles, twigs etc.
    2) Lay the tyvek out flat and weight it down. You might need to tape sections together (I overlap 6" and tape both sides)
    3) Lay the tent out flat on the tyvek and weight it down at the staking points
    4) Trace the outline of the tent at all the corners and staking points first. Then go back and trace the rest. If you slip or bump the tent out of position reset it to the corner marks and start over (it's just tyvek)
    5) Re-draw the perimeter 3" inside the outline (a folded dollar is 3")
    6) Cut out the footprint along the inner line
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have a Cabelas 6 man Guide Model and I use a 10 ft x 12 ft tarp. I just tuck it under where it overlaps. Haven't had a leak or hole yet and i have put mine to the test

We just bought the eight man and love it. Used it up in Deadhorse for boo. Held up great to the wind and blowing rain. Best 500 we ever spent...I mean 250 if the wifes readin this..