Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Central Alaska Halibut limit reduced to 1 in 2012!!!

Default South Central Alaska Halibut limit reduced to 1 in 2012!!!

South Central Halibut limit will be reduced to 1 in 2012 if secretary of commerce signs off on Halibut catch sharing plan!!!! The plan is going to reduce the guideline harvest level (GHL) for 3A by 30%, give it to the commercials and then let them lease it back to sportsfishermen (called a guided angler fish (GAF)).
    Unless we get enough letters sent out and raise hell we are going to see lots of charters fail next year, especially places like Deep creek were they can't offer season long combo trips.
    This has nothing to do with the Halibut resource or number of fish caught in 3A as we have been under our GHL every year.

Halibut Anglers: Act by Sept 6th or your fish will be cut in half
    The Feds Want A Bite Of Your Fish
    Reducing the number
    of boats and the bag
    limit: This year new
    regulations restrict your
    choice of boats available to
    take you halibut fishing. Now,
    in addition to the reduced
    number of boats, the federal
    government is trying to cut
    your bag limit in half for
    guided recreational anglers.
    What that means to
    you, the recreational
    fisherman: Right now, you
    are allowed 2 fish per day of
    any size in Southcentral Alaska. If the federal
    rule passes, the daily bag limit would drop to 1
    fish per guided angler and could ultimately
    drop to 1 fish of a maximum size per person.
    Is this “Fair & Equitable”?
    Our laws say it’s supposed to be. Our current
    allocation was deemed “fair and equitable" by
    the Secretary of Commerce and the Courts…
    yet that is now being cut by another 30%. The
    proposed rule will reallocate your fish to the
    commercial sector. Then it allows
    the angler to "rent" the fish back.
    Is this about Conservation?
    No! The halibut you are losing will
    be caught by the commercial fleet.

You should be angry!
    What about the bycatch?
    Trawl vessels drag nets on the
    ocean floor or in mid-water and
    scrape up everything, pick out the
    fish they want and throw the rest
    overboard.. The total halibut
    discarded in 2010 was 11,433,055
    million pounds of dead fish (mostly
    by the trawl fisheries). This is more
    than the total recreational catch.
    This should be a concern to both recreational
    and commercial fishermen who fish hook-andline.
    Who will this affect? It affects you and the
    entire Alaskan economy. The true impact is
    unknown, because the feds are using data that
    is 13 years old. They don't even know how
    much current regulations have reduced the
    halibut catch, nor the dollars lost to the state.

This is not Hopeless! What Can You Do?
    1. It is critical that you submit a letter before the comment period ends on September 6th.
    Address comments to: Glenn Merrill, NMFS, Attn: Ellen Sebastian. P.O. Box 21668, Juneau, AK
    99802–1668 or Fax: 907–586–7557. In your letter, reference federal rule #0648–BA37 and ask
    them to support your current bag limit.

2. Learn more by visiting the Alaska Charter Association website at www.alaskacharter.org,
    where you can print, fax or mail a sample comment letter. Make a donation through the ACA
    website and contribute to the battle to preserve the recreational halibut fishery.

3. Contact these people ask questions, make comments, and fax or email letters:
    Acting Secretary of Commerce, Rebecca Blank- http://www.commerce.gov/contact-us
    Dr. Jane Lubchenco, NOAA Chief Administrator- jane.lubchenco@noaa.gov, Fax (202) 408-9674
    Alaska residents contact Governor Sean Parnell, Senator Lisa Murkowski, Senator Mark Begich,
    Rep. Don Young. Look up contact information here: www.electedlist.com/Alaska.html
    (To read the full "Catch Sharing Plan": http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/sustainable...ibut/sport.htm)
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

The 3A commercial fishery was already slashed 30% this year...almost 50% since 2007.

3A charters have not been under GHL every year. They exceeded them several times (although not by much), and actual log book data showed charter catch surveys were being underestimated. GHL is not going to be "given" to the commercial fishery. Actual commercial quota will be leased.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    The 3A commercial fishery was already slashed 30% this year...almost 50% since 2007.

3A charters have not been under GHL every year. They exceeded them several times (although not by much), and actual log book data showed charter catch surveys were being underestimated. GHL is not going to be "given" to the commercial fishery. Actual commercial quota will be leased.
    Please stop confusing folks with the facts, it really dulls the pitchforks of the mob...

<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    The 3A commercial fishery was already slashed 30&#37; this year...almost 50% since 2007.

Thanks for the actual facts.
    I found it exremely hard to believe they would give 30% to another user group just to glease it back to the same group that had it originally.
    I figured they would both take a cut and that they would give the commercial fishermen the option to lease some of their quota to
    the commercial guide sector. My guess is that is what is really going on.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

As much as many would like to see us sportfishermen recieve a higher allocation ( who wouldn't want to take home 3 Halibut a day instead of 2 right.) I fully understand the courts have determined what is fair and equitable and it is what it is.
    I have no problem filling my freezer at 2 fish a day anyway.
    I have the option to buy commercial Quota and fish it. I also have the right to buy a boat and catch my own sportfishing (Witch I do),and/or I have the option to hire a charter or even buy a permit and become one. I could also move to a rural qualifying area and gain subsistence rights to get 20 a day if I so desired.
    If I really wanted too I could just buy my fish at the store.And that is probably the cheapest option of them all. Though you can't price memories of days on the water.I can say I have never been bothered by commercial boats. I have been harrassed by a couple of charter boats in the past though. I don't see much harm in this for me and less charter boats on the water never has or will hurt my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Please stop confusing folks with the facts, it really dulls the pitchforks of the mob...

<grin>
    As if the mob was capable of discerning between dull pitchforks and sharp ones.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Looks like more combo charters in SC.

I wish they'd require charters to measure each halibut brought aboard, and put the measurements in the logbook. Then, have the gps coordinates logged for where the halibut are being caught. Then the fish managers could really get a handle who is killing what size, and where. They could close certain areas that are known to produce breeders and manage the fleet in a way that charters could still get 2 halibut, but stay within a ghl. The problem the charters have is that they are so spread out and independent, that they can't control what the operation down the coast is doing. If a handful of operations decides to target the big breeders, then the ones who target the 20lb fish have to pay the price for that.

Since grampy squared us away w/ the facts, I don't have to get into it. I would like to remind everyone about the sleeping monster known as subsistence. As you all know, the only group that doesn't have to share in conservation is people that qualify for subsistence. If you don't live on the road system you are allowed to fish 30 hooks a day 365, regardless of income. Every person in Kodiak or Juneau could concievably catch 30 halibut a day! Of course the author of this thread immediately tries to diss the commercial industry just like the self appointed mouth pieces for the PU dip net fishery. Mark my words they want dipping to be classified subsistence too, so they can be above the burden of conservation

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Since grampy squared us away w/ the facts, I don't have to get into it. I would like to remind everyone about the sleeping monster known as subsistence. As you all know, the only group that doesn't have to share in conservation is people that qualify for subsistence. If you don't live on the road system you are allowed to fish 30 hooks a day 365, regardless of income. Every person in Kodiak or Juneau could concievably catch 30 halibut a day! Of course the author of this thread immediately tries to diss the commercial industry just like the self appointed mouth pieces for the PU dip net fishery. Mark my words they want dipping to be classified subsistence too, so they can be above the burden of conservation
    They may be allowed 30 hooks but they only get 20 fish each per day.
    You also don't have to live rural. If you are a member of a qualifying Alaska native tribe you can be given a SHARC ( Subsistrence Halibut area registration card) and live anywhere you want even out of state or country. You are only allowed to subsistence fish in the area on your card though.
    I am not dissing Subsistence just pointing out some facts. Here is the link to all the info:
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/ram/subsistence/halibut.htm
    Not sure what the annual subsistence take is but I don't think it holds a candle to the sportfishing and commercial guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    They may be allowed 30 hooks but they only get 20 fish each per day.
    You also don't have to live rural. If you are a member of a qualifying Alaska native tribe you can be given a SHARC ( Subsistrence Halibut area registration card) and live anywhere you want even out of state or country. You are only allowed to subsistence fish in the area on your card though.
    I am not dissing Subsistence just pointing out some facts. Here is the link to all the info:
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/ram/subsistence/halibut.htm
    Not sure what the annual subsistence take is but I don't think it holds a candle to the sportfishing and commercial guys.
    So if the feds took over our fisheries management only Natives and rural could dip net? Hmmm.. provocative

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Fullbush, surely you jest!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

So if the feds took over our fisheries management only Natives and rural could dip net? Hmmm.. provocative
    Yep. You want it to go fed. Then only the folks who didn't live around a walmart would be able to do it.

This rule is doom for deep creek and anchor point guides because after the first week of june it is hard to do combo trips because the kings slow way up. I do feel bad for these guys because they were put through the whole moratorium thing last year and many outfits had to spend 50 to 80 grand to buy a moratorium and now it will take 4 or 5 years of fishing if this rule goes into effect to pay off their moratorium and make no money in the mean time. Boats will most likely take half the trips they are used to and possibly less if this rule goes into effect. The southeast can sustain with one fish because they have salmon all year, ling cod, rockfish and other combo species to go along with halbut. All deep creek and anchor point has is halibut, and kings for may and june. This will cost many jobs to charter captains, deckhands, tractor launch people, fish processors, local gas stations, and many others that relies on charter boats and the business they bring. In a time when the economy is sorely hurting this rule will do nothing to improve the alaskan economy.

What I don't understand about this rule is the feds would rather do this than try to reform the trawler fishery which wastes more pounds of halibut every year than the charter boat sector even catches. How about making a fishery and start catching arrowtooth flounder and the ratfish(not sure what they're official name is) that are increasing competition for the limited food sources halibut depend on. I'm sure if they contracted certain boats to do that, they would get captains that would fish for them.

It might be time to put more effort into hatchery rearing kings and silvers so these charter guys can sustain if the one fish rule is allowed to be implemented. Brand new facilities in anchorage and fairbanks are being filled with rainbow trout that will do nothing for the economy instead of salmon that would do wonders for the economy.

Thats seems to be the way the feds like to do it.
    We are all equal in their eyes until it comes to fish, game, and hiring for goverment jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    This rule is doom for deep creek and anchor point guides because after the first week of june it is hard to do combo trips because the kings slow way up. I do feel bad for these guys because they were put through the whole moratorium thing last year and many outfits had to spend 50 to 80 grand to buy a moratorium and now it will take 4 or 5 years of fishing if this rule goes into effect to pay off their moratorium and make no money in the mean time. Boats will most likely take half the trips they are used to and possibly less if this rule goes into effect. The southeast can sustain with one fish because they have salmon all year, ling cod, rockfish and other combo species to go along with halbut. All deep creek and anchor point has is halibut, and kings for may and june. This will cost many jobs to charter captains, deckhands, tractor launch people, fish processors, local gas stations, and many others that relies on charter boats and the business they bring. In a time when the economy is sorely hurting this rule will do nothing to improve the alaskan economy.

What I don't understand about this rule is the feds would rather do this than try to reform the trawler fishery which wastes more pounds of halibut every year than the charter boat sector even catches. How about making a fishery and start catching arrowtooth flounder and the ratfish(not sure what they're official name is) that are increasing competition for the limited food sources halibut depend on. I'm sure if they contracted certain boats to do that, they would get captains that would fish for them.

It might be time to put more effort into hatchery rearing kings and silvers so these charter guys can sustain if the one fish rule is allowed to be implemented. Brand new facilities in anchorage and fairbanks are being filled with rainbow trout that will do nothing for the economy instead of salmon that would do wonders for the economy.
    I understand the bycatch thing but it will take time to change such things.
    Do you really think the NPFMC gives a hoot about our economy? They only care about having a healthy fish population regardless of what it does to somebodys job. I think thats the way it should be.
    If we let the fishing continue the way it is there will be no Halibut for anyone and then where will the charters be?

I think it sucks that comfish has first dibs on fish. Why they do is beyond me. I guess they are the ones with the money. Why if we all own the halibut do they get 85% of them. Limiting private angles limits acess to their own fish. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Thats seems to be the way the feds like to do it.
    We are all equal in their eyes until it comes to fish, game, and hiring for goverment jobs.
    Bear in mind that my family is native, but recently I had to respond to my brother-in-law, who was complaining about racial prejudice, by pointing out how many privileges he had that I did not merely because of his ethnicity. That is how the government attempts to engineer equality.

Anyway, as much as I like many charter guys, it would not hurt my feelings to see less of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post

Unfortunately the trawlers targeting arrowtooth flounder get a lot of halibut bycatch.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I think it sucks that comfish has first dibs on fish. Why they do is beyond me. I guess they are the ones with the money. Why if we all own the halibut do they get 85&#37; of them. Limiting private angles limits acess to their own fish. Just my .02
    You're lost as usual.

Catch limits for the commercial halibut fishery are determined after sport harvest. Not to mention sport harvest has no harvest limit.

Also, commercial bycatch is figured into the exploitable biomass...The more bycatch there is, the lower the commercial catch limits are...The less the bycatch is, the higher the catch limits. Either way, it gets harvested. That's how the fishery is sustained. So if you want to argue "waste", then I totally agree (I hate trawlers). But if you are trying to scapegoat commercial waste to allocate us sportfishermen more halibut, that dog won't hunt.

Yes, we all own the halibut....all 300 million of us American citizens...most who buy their halibut at the store or restaurant via commercial fishing (virtually all of Alaska-caught halibut go to our domestic markets)...most who choose not travel to Alaska and hire a charter to get it for dinner. So really, 85% of the halibut for 99+% of the people seems unfair to the public. In fact it is disproportional that a niche charter industry and a small percentage of citizens (in comparison to all consumers of the resource) get a whopping 15%.

Finally, nothing limits private anglers or their access to halibut. Charters just make it easier for those who choose to hire them. There are any number of ways for people to get their halibut, charters are only one. And along with hiring a commercial charter comes charter regulations...just like hiring a commercial jet instead of flying privately comes with commercial airline regulations...you get scanned.

So... What would happen if say... 5% of those mostly little halibut discarded dead in the trawl fishery were allowed to grow up and migrate east and south? Would there be enough for the sport fishery to be allocated 1% or 2% more, which would probably end our argument forever?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast