Thread: Bivy Bag?

Default Bivy Bag?

I was wondering how many guys use bivy bags and which ones have you used that didn't have condensation? I've been contemplating a bivy vs small, light 1 person tent.

Here is the most recent discussion down in the gear forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...eep-spike-camp

I have been using one of the military gortex bivys for going on 5 years now. I have spent many dry nights in pouring rain without even a tarp.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

military 3 piece sleep system is all i use. One piece is a lightweight sleeping bag, one is a heavyweight and one is the bivy cover. Slide a sleep mat between which ever bag you use and the bivy and you'll sleep good all night. On really cold nights use all three. I usually don't sleep in a tent, just out under the stars and never had a problem.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I havent yet broken down and gotten a bivy sack but have been oh so close. I enjoy sheep hunting and setting up a base camp and hiking with a bivy seems to hold merit. My father and I hiked up top and spent a night with out a tent or sleeping bags, woke up with drag up dust on the ground, id never gotten so close to another man in my life. Since than I have always used a small one man tent but a bivy appeals. Integrel Designs makes a sweet one as do others.

A body bag and light wool blanket work great
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Black Diamond makes one that I trust. It's just a shell that I pack. Super light weight, goes up the mountain with me all the time. Waterproof, windproof, and is grey like a rock. perfect. Durability - my bro used the heck out of it, then gave it to me as he gets new stuff way more frequently than me - I predict many, many seasons with it yet. Good luck.

I've never used a Bivy, but I would probably go with a small, lightweight tent over a Bivy, but that's just me. I just don't see the benefits over that extra room of a small, single person tent.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

For what a bivy weighs, I carry mine on every backpack hunting trip. If you are away from your spike, for the ounces it weighs it allows you to get out of the weather even if you dont have your sleeping bag with you. i use either a one man or two man tent 99% of the time, but I have my bivy 100% of the time. It adds about 10 degrees to the warmth of your bag also.

Mine is goretex and no doubt it interferes with your bags wicking ability. But as long as you are not climbing in with soaking wet clothes on, it is not bad at all, IMO. Even with soaking clothes, its not all bad. Your bag will be a bit wet, but your clothes will be mostly dry and that is the best thing about a synthetic bag, IMO.

Default bivy

I've gotten several recommendations to possibly use a tarp or fly plus bivy. This way you are sheltered better from the rain and elements plus can get into your bivy without getting wet. Obviously a fly adds to the weight and at some point it may be as heavy as a 1 or 2 person tent.