Thread: Shooting Distance & Forest Service ROADS.

Default Shooting Distance & Forest Service ROADS.

I asked my Forest Service "Subsistence Biologist" about shooting distance from the Palmer Creek Road...????

Her e-mail Reply.

"I have been out of the office all day in meetings but wanted you to know that I did finally speak to another one of our law enforcement officers. He stated that you cannot shoot on the road, from the road or across the road. On Forest Service land there is no designation of distance you have to be away from the road. So you just can't shoot on the road, from the road or across it and you are fine".

I'd bet "road" has some kind of legal definition somewhere, defining an easement wider than the roadbed as the road. When prescriptive easements are pursued, they often include road, shoulder, ditch and backslope.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    I'd bet "road" has some kind of legal definition somewhere, defining an easement wider than the roadbed as the road. When prescriptive easements are pursued, they often include road, shoulder, ditch and backslope.
    The hunting regs clearly define this restriction as related to the driveable surface of the road. Personally, I read that to include the very edge of the shoulder, but so long as you're off the shoulder you're otherwise legal.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today