Thread: Twin DF 225's prop issues

Default Twin DF 225's prop issues

I repowered my 28' alumaweld this season with 011 225 zukes. I added a 3' transom pod extension and have been fighting prop issues. Been running a alum 15.3 X 21 solas... 42knots hitting rev. limitors at 3/4 throttle, slippage out of the hole and in rough seas. Porposing occurs on smooth water when opened up even with motor trimmed all the way down. Motor height is set correctly, cav plate skims the top of the water on step.

I know that aluminum is wrong prop for the zukes, but dealer talked me into going aluminum because he would trade until we got the boat prop correctly.

I looking for a good prop dealer in the area that carries 4 blades. I am thinking about running the power tech OFX4 15.25 X 23 or LFS4 16X23 vs. revolution 4 14 5/8 X 23.

Has anyone run these 4 blades? I appreciate your input.
    I need the bite in rough seas expecially when I use the trim tabs to shove my nose down in a rough chop.

I am running the DF 250 and have done a significant amount of research on props. What I have found is the best prop for my application is the 16x18.5. I spoke with a few prop shops and they all told me the same thing; stick with the suzuki props. Something about the talller prop just works better on the suzuki. I appreciated their honesty and it certaintly held true for me. I was originally running a 16x20 and it did ok but was lugging alittle. The 16x18.5 seems to be the sweet spot for the bigger suzukis.

Thanks Avid,
    I have been told the same by all prop shops. Turn a 16" prop on the big zukes.
    Picked up a set of 16X23's from Bob @ Anchorage Suzuki to run this weekend and get some numbers with stainless. He is running the power tech LSF4's on his twin 300's, but said he didn't notice that much of a performance difference on his set up.

I've have spent a lot of time running a 28-foot Alumaweld Offshore, rigged with twin DF225's. The motors are propped with stainless Suzuki 21.5's (3-blade), and it's about perfect. No cavitation issues at all. She'll break 50MPH at wide open & cruise right along at 28-30MPH with good fuel economy. Sorry, there are no fuel meters on that boat to provide an accurate mileage number for you, but when we gas them up at the end of the day, she is noticeably better than her sister boat running 225 Opti's.

I did a lot of research about 6 years ago. I found out there are props that will lift the bow, and props that will lift the stern. Sounds like you have the ones that go the wrong way for your application. I would call the pros, and tell them what you are experiencing. I'm guessing you need a stern-lifting blade configuration. my 2
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.