Thread: Anyone use a sham wow for drying boots or cloths?

Default Anyone use a sham wow for drying boots or cloths?

Anyone have any creative ways of drying wet boots when you are hunting places that are too moist for air-drying. Any suggestions have to be lighter than carrying a second pair of boots.

I was thinking of taking a sham wow or other absorbant cloth and wadding it in my boots overnight, but I've never tried this. The advantage over a regular towel is that I would think it is lighter and more easily wrung out. If it works, I'm thinking that a pair of socks or a shirt rolled up in a sham wow may work too.

Anyone ever tried this or have any other methods? Right now, I carry a lot of socks which works somehwhat, but once the boots are soaked they never really dry out.

Obviously the best defence is preventing getting wet, but if I spend any legnth of time in the peninsula or southeast the best most people can do is delay getting wet for a few days or maybe even a week but at some point, I always end up wet.

But wait!!!!!!
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

just in case someone needed a refresher....

it will pull most of the moisture out, but the clothing or boots will still be damp.

I pack about a 12" x 12" piece of shamwow with me in the mountains as part of my sheep/goat gear. It is super lightweight and super absorbant. It takes dew off of a tent 100Xs better than a rag or micro fleece. I doubt it would pull water out of a leather boot though - only time and heat will do that. Shamwows are cheap and last a really long time (I'm using the same one in my pack for 2 years now and going strong). Good luck!

I've always thrown a few extra rocks on the fire at night and then pushed em off to the side before i go to bed...you want them realy warm but not to the point of melting the boots...the sham wow trick sounds pretty good to though.

We carry one on every hunt. Works great to roll any loose clothes in and ring out.

PS - WIsam, your PM box is full

I always bring along a newspaper to dry my boots, wad up individual sheets and stuff the boots overnight, in the morning spread the pages out to dry and reuse, works great. Clothes I dry next to the fire if I need them right away, if damp I wear them dry-that is the great thing about synthetics-they dry quickly or wool is still warm anyhow.