Thread: Valdez Fish Report

Default Valdez Fish Report

Took my buddies boat down over the weekend. We only fished Saturday but what a day. Me, my friend and our two sons. Due to downrigger problems we really only had one rod in the water, but we limited on Silvers for us four in just around 2 hours of fishing. Jigged for some halibut and managed a nice butt in the 140's range or so. Water was flat calm, with a little breeze heading in. Let the smaller kids catch pinks next to the hatchery on Sunday. Good times in the old home town.

All of our fish were caught right outside the narrows, or within a mile of it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Excellent. Good to know. Glad you had much success and good weather? What? You timed that right....

warrior, were you in or out of the bay?

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    warrior, were you in or out of the bay?
    Silvers near sawmill, Next to the slides. Halibut near galena. Trolling brads super cut plug.

Do you troll that on a down rigger only or with 4oz bannana weights? Not that I even have the option, but I was curious. As you said you had downrigger probs, I would think you could go without & still get the ones higher in the water column.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Do you troll that on a down rigger only or with 4oz bannana weights? Not that I even have the option, but I was curious. As you said you had downrigger probs, I would think you could go without & still get the ones higher in the water column.
    Boat had dual downriggers. One crapped out but we really didn't need it. I did have a pole with a crippled herring on, fishing maybe 15 feet down. It got one fish. All the others were on the downrigger, all around 35-45 feet. It was some of the best silver fishing I've had. No more than 8-10 minutes between strikes. We only lost one, and it was due to me not getting the downrigger cable out of the water fast enought. Not one single pink.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Silvers near sawmill, Next to the slides. Halibut near galena. Trolling brads super cut plug.
    How deep did you fish for Halibut?

Yeah, I'm trying to find a fishable spot for halibut, too. I've got zero experience out of Valdez, so I'm just winging it on where to go with the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to find a fishable spot for halibut, too. I've got zero experience out of Valdez, so I'm just winging it on where to go with the charts.
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I've got all the halibut I need from Cook Inlet. I was wondering how deep they fish there. I suspect you can get halibut at the mouth of Galena in 200ft. I may drop the shrimp pots as well while I am taking my in laws for some Coho action.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I've got all the halibut I need from Cook Inlet. I was wondering how deep they fish there. I suspect you can get halibut at the mouth of Galena in 200ft. I may drop the shrimp pots as well while I am taking my in laws for some Coho action.
    If the weather is ok and I feel comfortable in the boat we're renting, I was thinking about dropping pots in Galena as well. I'm shooting for 4-500' range. It's gonna suck to haul up without a power davit, but maybe I'll get lucky and hit a good spot. I'm scouring charts for places to fish. After 25+ years of halibut fishing up here, I have a couple of specific things I'm looking for on the bottom, but I tend to fish shallow, between 80-100 feet, give or take. Should be interesting having no idea at all where people actually catch halibut out there.

When are you going? We'll be down there the 21st-23rd...coming back the 24th, probably won't be on the water that day.

If the weather is ok and I feel comfortable in the boat we're renting, I was thinking about dropping pots in Galena as well. I'm shooting for 4-500' range. It's gonna suck to haul up without a power davit, but maybe I'll get lucky and hit a good spot. I'm scouring charts for places to fish. After 25+ years of halibut fishing up here, I have a couple of specific things I'm looking for on the bottom, but I tend to fish shallow, between 80-100 feet, give or take. Should be interesting having no idea at all where people actually catch halibut out there.

When are you going? We'll be down there the 21st-23rd...coming back the 24th, probably won't be on the water that day.
    I get there the 23rd. Fishing the 24th-27th. I fish the same time every year for the Valdez Silvers. I've never had a problem catching them right outside the boat harbor. Turn right and start trolling. I don't use flashers or divers. Just a 4oz or 3oz banana weight with a hoochie and bait. Mooching works good too when you get on top of them. I've got a Ace puller on my boat so no manual hauling for me. You can use the buoy system to pull your pots.

We usually go a week later, but it just worked out this way for us this year, so we'll try it a week earlier. Typically hit it during the week before Labor Day Weekend.

Anyone down there now....wow....you are having incredible weather. Hope the fishing is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    How deep did you fish for Halibut?
    150 feet for the halibut. Several boats around us were catching yellow eye.

Fished out of seward yesterday. We got limit of silvers out in puget, waiting for the other boat mates to get theirs so we dropped down. my buddy got a nice 40lb halibut and I got a real nice linger. ran over to Mont and limited on the chicken halibut. Real nice weather.

Anyone have a fresh report on where the silvers are?

I have about 5 days until I go...I'm getting antsy, big time. Still have a lot of gear to get, too.

you really don't need to spend a ton on gear to get the silvers......really. couple banana weights or two divers, a bag of hoochies, 12 pack of hooks, and a bag or two of troll herring.

Anyone have a fresh report on where the silvers are?

I have about 5 days until I go...I'm getting antsy, big time. Still have a lot of gear to get, too.
    Yeah, I have most of my silver gear. We're also going for halibut/lings and I have NONE of that stuff. Other things, too, like new line for a couple rods, some rain gear, etc. We're going to spend some time at B&J's on Friday shopping...lol.

the last two years i have killed them on kwik fish and divers!

anybody know if there are many silvers inside of the narrows yet? thanks much!

Haha...I managed to quote myself down there....that was supposed to be in response to bullelkklr....

Quote Originally Posted by wood View Post
    anybody know if there are many silvers inside of the narrows yet? thanks much!
    I just got back from Valdez. spent 3 days fishing. Silvers were still past the narrows. Galeana and Sawmill were decent areas for coho.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com