Thread: Management considerations for Russian River late run sockeye

Default Management considerations for Russian River late run sockeye

We all know the Russian River will get shutdown if the run is weak - like last year -to preserve stocks.

Other than shutting the river down - are there any considerations of the Russian River in the management plan for the Kenai late run sockeye? Have any actions ever been taken in the Kenai late sockeye run to protect Russian bound stocks?

Is there any data collected or is it known as to when the Russian River fish come in or is it assummed that they are evenly distributed with the other Kenai fish?

Was any data collected or avaliable as to destination of stocks for the millions of sockeye caught this year in the nets, dipnetting, or sport fishing?

Just trying to gather some information - not placing blame for the past two years run or anything else.

If this has been covered before please forgive me - I missed it.

THANKS in advance.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I don't know if anything has happened this year or anytime since, but three years ago when I was dipping from a boat we were approached by a biologist at the launch ramp who asked for samples for a genetic study of the late run fish with regards to the distribution of Kenai vs. Russian spawners. We gladly let them take samples from ~30 of our fish. I'd be interested to see the results of the study.

Genetic samples from Russian River fish have been taken.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I had heard that F&G or someone had determined that the early and late runs were two different genetic species so apparently fish from either run can be identified - but I haven't verified that information or heard much else.

The question then would be what do we know about the total returns, timing etc. I was curious how many of the "cost recovery" fish last year were destined for the Russian but I never heard anything. With that hot potatoe issue F&G may not want to know

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Genetic samples from Russian River fish have been taken.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The low return in the Russian continues to be one of the worse on record.

Any ideas or information to contribute- anyone?

Shut it down. Its not lookin good boys!

count up today but little better than last year.

Still waiting on all those fish holding in the lake

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

Still waiting on all those fish holding in the lake
    The smile says it all...too bad your fan club has to wait before they rep you again, you might have another green dot by this time in 2015

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov