Thread: Homer

Default Homer

I wanted to fly some family down to Homer for the day and was wondering where to park and the easiest way to get out to the spit for some dinner. I didn't know if there is a taxi company or a place to rent or borrow a car on the south side of the airport. Also any restaurant suggestions would be great.

Not sure about the transient parking, but I'm pretty sure I have seen taxi's there before, but not 100% certain. But as for restaurants, Café Cups is a great place. It's in the 'downtown' area of Homer. Can be a little on the high end, but excellent food and wine, defiantly worth checking out. Hope everything works out, sounds like a great trip!

The flight service station will tell you about trans parking. There is lots open.
    There are a couple taxi companies here in town. Homer Air or Smokey bay air (fuel) can call one for you. Land's End is a very good place for dinner. Not cheap... But the view is perfect for out-of-town folks. There is another new seafood place on the Spit where El Pescador used to be. Capt Paddy's is good but expensive.
    I had under cooked & overpriced duck and a bad gut ache from the afore mentioned place named after drinking utensils.
    Fat Olives Pizza is also pretty good.
    There are a couple of car rental places in town as well. Plus local car rental prices are MUCH better than those up in Los Anchorage.

Places for taxi near Homer, AK

Kostas Taxi

- 1 review - Place page
    maps.google.com - 235 Lee Drive, Homer - (907) 399-8008

Kache Cab

- Place page
    maps.google.com - 725 Ridgeway Court, Homer -(907) 235-1950
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I would cab it, or hitch hike( and get the true Homer experience) depending on the time of day-sourdough bakery for their "stuffs" -Glacier drive in on the spit for the best burgers and shakes in Homer or don joses pizza is good.

Two must go places for me in Homer are the Cosmic Kitchen and the coffee shop at the end of the little mall where Ullmer's is. And while I'm there I have to walk through Ullmer's, too. The coffee place has home made chocolate chip pistachio cookies that are absolutely incredible.

The Glacier is no longer owned (fairly recent event) by the old family who had owned and operated it since the late 60s. I took a client there the other day and nothing looked or tasted the same.

Back when I was a kid, working on the end of the spit unloading crab boats, it was a special treat to have a Glacier Burger. We usually ate moose, salmon, halibut, crab and clams. So anything made from beef was a real special treat. Back then it was a little trailer on the opposite side of the road. And all the roads in town were gravel.

Later when I was old enough to drive, I got a job at the hardware store in town and would buy a big beef steak once a week and cook it in our break room kitchen. It was like dying and going to heaven.

Funny how years later when i was overseas, I would have strangled a nun to have some nice Beer Batter halibut and fries. The things we take for granted.

wow thats sad about the glacier, dirt roads in Homer!! you must have been there way before me 83'-87' when the DQ came in we highschoolers went crazy, that went away then came the golden arches, remember flips fly-in at the airport, as a ninth grader I help with the foundation for the roller -rink (sorry -random memories of the hamlet by the sea)

We had the Parfait Shop (owner by the Weaver's) across from the High school. (now middle school and boys clubs) That was the teenager hang-out during lunch. There was also the Sterling Cafe next to the Heady Hotel. (Now the Heritage Hotel) Land's End was on the spit, The Porpoise Room was on the Spit, the Glacier was on the Spit and in town there was also the Waterfront restaurant and bar next to the original bowling alley. And of course the best pies back then were at the Anchor River Inn.
    It was a few years before you came to Homer. By your time period I had been to college, been on active duty, and was by then a Law Dawg working someplace else in the State.

Yeap the was nothing better than tossing your sweetie in the VW van and heading up to Anchor Point for some ice cream and apple pie.

And yes those side-burns made my mom cry...Oh to be 17 again, with what I know now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pilot's night every Thursday at Beluga Lake Lodge, usually starts around 8:00. Some.....some, maybe, of the stories might be true.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

emoss you and I were there in 94-98 as well. Homer has definetely changed alot !!! I flew down there the other day and ate at the airport restaraunt. It was ok. That is still a fun place to visit!!

TBLOOMA how you been? Hey FLOAT PILOT!!! your tellin me you ran the parfait shop down the trail from the old high school? i spent some time in there in 9th grade chasing a girl i liked that always went over for lunch (circa 83)wow small world

No, the Weaver family ran the Parfait Shop. The "we" was the collective Homerite "we".
    You might have known Jeff Becker. Now Maj Becker.
    I think I was in Lebanon during part of 83.

I was in Beirut in '75 just before they blew it up....beautiful place...beautiful women...great food!!!

I forgot about Glacier Burgers and couldn't remember the name of the cafe' at the airport but I do remember getting thrown out of the Anchor River Inn for wearing smelly, salmon guts covered hip boots in for dinner.