Thread: Silver Leader Formula

Default Silver Leader Formula

Anybody tie the own fly fishing leaders for silvers and chums? If not what length do you prefer?

Default silver leader

i tie my silver leaders the same as my steelhead leaders.... it totally depends upon the water and conditions, like always, but standard leader length for me is 9 ft. if it's clear water i might go a little longer. if it's stained or glacial, i might go a little shorter. depth is also a factor. standard size for me is 12# tippet tapered down from 20-25# leader or butt section but once again, it depends a little upon conditions, however, i wouldn't go smaller than 10# tippet even in gin clear water... instead, goto florocarbon. that's how i do it.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

my leaders for salmon are generally about 4 feet of 30# then a foot of 20# then a foot of 0x shorter if I'm fishing with a sinking line
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've never gotten into using tapered leaders especially for salmon. For kings I usually use 20# mono and for silvers 15#. I learned a quick and reliable way to tie line to leader with a small knot so if I lose the entire leader it isn't a big deal to re-tie. The old blood knot never has been my forte.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

the surgeons loop is your friend akmud...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.