Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm, wounded bear, and 5' tall ferns=dead bear

Default 10mm, wounded bear, and 5' tall ferns=dead bear

Well had an interesting weekend. Took my dad bear hunting. He took his smith and wesson 8 3/8" 357mag. He shot a black bear and it ended up in the thick green grass and tall ferns. I showed up a bit later, split up, and he was all excited. It was a 35 yard shot or so. I asked if bear had did its death moan. He said no, his ears were ringing. I was skeptical and told him it was maybe still alive. Sure thing it was. Long story short he got above it, couldn't see it and I sent my dog in. She did who knows what in there but bear was pissed and growling! He was able to pin point it enough to get me near it. I head over and walked right up on it pretty much. I slowly approached, first time going in after wounded bear. I could hear it, finally see a glimps of it. I start to break the ferns over enough to see it, just the head. I had glock 20 drawn, backed up and got dog out of the way too. Aimed at head, boom, dead bear! Upon skinning it out, he hit by front legs, to far forward to hit organs, grazed bones, must have hit artery or something. Lots of blood but bear was not no where near dead. We found a bullet while skinning on lung side of shoulder just under skin. Not until sunday and popping skull out did we know the rest of the story.

My dads bullet was a pass through. Mine entered top of skull, went through skull of course, down wind pipe area and through neck and past shoulder and popped up under hide like stated on lung side of shoulder. Bullet was deformed a bit on the nose, and can't see rifling on bullet either, hardcast, and I assume was smoothed out from going through all that bone. Pics to follow, once I can get them off face book.

But I am still convinced the 10mm is enough! Has not let me down and is always with me. People asked for better testing, well not much better testing, well besides a real charging bear at 10yards or closer. I will work on that test next! Talk about an adrenaline rush, and seeing dog go into the thick stuff after a wounded bear, priceless. No worries, all legal, have permit for her. Good times! Gotta love it.

what kind of dog do have again?

Looka like a German Hunting Dog, seen them. As far as the 10mm you at least can't argue its abilitly. I would stick with it and the dog also. Jeff

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I'm bettin, it was at least, a 50 mm Dawg.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It's a little rally terrier. Like the .17 hmr of dogs I think

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    German Jag'd Terrier. She is not afraid of anything. When dragging the bear it, a leg shifted causing it push air out of the lung, so sounded like bear was growling, the dog turned around and bit the bear hard enough to jiggle the whole bear! I know she is small, should use a pack, but I can't imagine a pack of dogs with the desire my dog has, would be a handful! Has not treed a bear yet, but seen them run from her-18# dog chasing a bear over a couple hundred pounds is awesome.

Nothin like being in the thick within feet of a wounded bear you canít see that is growling at you. Makes my hair stand up some just remembering what itís like.

I agree 10mm is enough for black bear and enough for brown bear with a good hit . . . but with marginal shot placement on a brown is where I donít feel it has enough oomph.

Canít use more than one dog here anyway and under very limited conditions so one fast tough as nails little dog is likely the best way to go. As someone grew up running dog packs on lion in Arizona I wish Alaska was not so dog restrictive, Iíd enjoy running dogs on lynx here.

I had an 18ish pound Wire Hair Terrier as a kid, toughest thing I ever saw! He would go down a holes, come up with a face full of porcupine quills then pull enough to get his mouth working and go right back in till he would drag the bald tailed critter out. Loved that dog . . . he was killed by a pack of coyote becouse there was no quit in him and he was no match for a pack in the dark where I was no help to him.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Nothin like being in the thick within feet of a wounded bear you canít see that is growling at you. Makes my hair stand up some just remembering what itís like.

I agree 10mm is enough for black bear and enough for brown bear with a good hit . . . but with marginal shot placement on a brown is where I donít feel it has enough oomph.

Canít use more than one dog here anyway and under very limited conditions so one fast tough as nails little dog is likely the best way to go. As someone grew up running dog packs on lion in Arizona I wish Alaska was not so dog restrictive, Iíd enjoy running dogs on lynx here.

I had an 18ish pound Wire Hair Terrier as a kid, toughest thing I ever saw! He would go down a holes, come up with a face full of porcupine quills then pull enough to get his mouth working and go right back in till he would drag the bald tailed critter out. Loved that dog . . . he was killed by a pack of coyote becouse there was no quit in him and he was no match for a pack in the dark where I was no help to him.
    One permit is good for 4 dogs I beleive, has number on permit. I just own one dog. But if a buddy joined me with his dog, both dogs are legal I assume under one permit.

Yes these german terriers can have that same trait to fight till their death. I don't think my dog does, she listens for most part, but will get sneak attacks on live or dead bears when she can. Doesn't matter if it is a huge dog or whatever, you piss her off or bark in her face or leave a fresh scent trail, she is coming for you! She loves to bunny hunt in the winter too!

As for the brown bear, I will try and shoot one this fall with the 10mm. Just have read threads where 44mag bullets deflect of bears skulls or travel the shape of the skull, the 10mm went right on through and kept going. 230gr hardcast is awesome load for the 10mm.

Those Jag's are pretty BA. I keep telling my wife I am getting one when the JRT finally bites off more than he can chew. On the other hand I don't know if I can handle a dog with even more drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Those Jag's are pretty BA. I keep telling my wife I am getting one when the JRT finally bites off more than he can chew. On the other hand I don't know if I can handle a dog with even more drive!
    Well mine is pretty chill in the house, until guests come over, she will get hyper of course and run around, then go back to her normal self. Mostly lounging around and looking out the window into the street. Sleeps a ton. When she sees a stray cat walking the neighborhood she goes nuts in the house. You can actually hear her sniffing the door seal down stairs while I am up stairs! As soon as I sit on the couch, she is on my lap or belly depending on how I am sitting. No barking or whinning, rarely when cat is seen or odd noise during the night. You would swear there was 120 pound german shepard behind the door!

Now when it comes to hunting, all I have to do is touch hunting clothing and she is all fired up. Even if just after bunnies. She will shake and pant to beat hell driving to the hunting grounds. Sniffing the air vents in the vehicle. She just can't hardly contain herself. I am waiting for her to hyperventilate one day! She never forgets a hunting location. Seriously just an awesome dog. Only problem is when dogs come running up and bark, she will rip into them, non lethal but just sounds horrible and let the dog know that is not cool! Definately not the breed for everybody, but my dog is perfect for me. Truely a great breed and not as hyper as a jack russel. Do need their excersize and about 3 days with nothing she starts to show signs of being cooped up for too long. She loves to run ahead as I bike, shock collars count as a leash!

Congrats on the bear. What do you do with a bear shot this time of year? If its eating salmon Ive heard there not really edible, and the hids surely cant be in the that great a shape with the warm weather...just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Congrats on the bear. What do you do with a bear shot this time of year? If its eating salmon Ive heard there not really edible, and the hids surely cant be in the that great a shape with the warm weather...just curious.
    Meat was good, no stink at all and smells better this time of year than spring bears. Granted we have a good spot with lots of berries but bears have access to salmon. Dad is getting summer sausage made, love that stuff. The hide was awesome, short dense hair, have a life size like that and looks great. No rubs, usuall thin spots between hind legs from walking, but great hide otherwise. I don't think he will keep it, need to check on just tanning, would make a great dog bed cover Nellie, my dog, since she did the dirty work. I brought home a brown bear rug I had killed. She layed on the rug right by the head and curled up, loves her bears!

Arenít bear like other critters where the hair wonít set to the hide unless taken in the cold where they arenít shading? Down in AZ buyers wont hardly touch hides that arenít good and ďblueĒ on the flesh side and you only get that about a month in each elevation zone there. Unless bear are different Iíd not tan it for fear of getting a shedding hide for my efforts. Makes good rawhide for braiding, lashings, drum heads and such even without hair though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Congrats on the bear! I'm about to buy a Glock 20sf as a b-day present to myself, want to try it on a black bear next spring and to carry for 4 legged and 2 legged critters.... Do you also conceal carry the G20 or is it a bit on the large side to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Arenít bear like other critters where the hair wonít set to the hide unless taken in the cold where they arenít shading? Down in AZ buyers wont hardly touch hides that arenít good and ďblueĒ on the flesh side and you only get that about a month in each elevation zone there. Unless bear are different Iíd not tan it for fear of getting a shedding hide for my efforts. Makes good rawhide for braiding, lashings, drum heads and such even without hair though.
    ADfields, I have had several tanned and rugged from fall bears taken last of August/first of Sept in Canada and they were all warm weather kills - all the hides turned out excellent. I think the key is get it skinned out quickly - get it frozen or to the tanner asap and all should be fine. Salting can help ( borax soap powder good too ) but freezing is best. If you give them a cpl days in the heat after skinning they definitely can start to "slip" fur...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Too cool! Got any pics to share? Congrats on the bear. What bullet weight you going with in your hardcast load?

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Congrats on the bear! I'm about to buy a Glock 20sf as a b-day present to myself, want to try it on a black bear next spring and to carry for 4 legged and 2 legged critters.... Do you also conceal carry the G20 or is it a bit on the large side to do so?
    I don't conceal it at all, yeah a bit bulky I would say. Sometimes it is under my HH rain coat, but easy access as I use a chest holster and HH is not zipped up fully. If you could, let me know where you find your glock20sf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Too cool! Got any pics to share? Congrats on the bear. What bullet weight you going with in your hardcast load?
    I use the 230gr hardcast load from Double Tap, been shooting his bullets since early '08. Became a dealer late '09. Heaviest load on the market and is an awesome round. Been doing me justice! Caribou is also on the menu this fall. Work is crazy and I have not tried to get pics of facebook, just pics of skull and bullet found. Also have a bullet to compare to and will take pics of that. Time is my only factor.

Default Pics of skull and hardcast

Dad has skull, and never meausred entrance hole, but was larger than bullet itself. No pics of skinning and where bullet was found, was busy taking care of work at hand and wanting to get done and ready for the miles of hiking out!

Cool looks like it did some serious damage! BTW I just picked up the glock 20SF at Ammo can off of spenard, it was there last one I believe but it don't take very long to get one if your order it. Price was lower than most elsewhere. I'll have to get ahold of you in the future to get some good hunting ammo for my glock.

You've got some brass balls going after a wounded bear with only a handgun.... Glad it turned out well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast