Thread: bullets for caribou

Default bullets for caribou

I shoot the ole reliable '06. This fall will be my first hunt for caribou. Normally I shoot 180 grain banes X bullets. For caribou would I be better served going with a softer bullet that still shoots flat? I know you should shoot what you know, but I have some time and am looking to see what guys prefer to knock down a caribou. Caribou are not tough skinned, but could be out there a ways. What bullet weight and type do guys prefer in a 30 caliber cartridge?

Happy hunting everyone!
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

I'd bet that the 180 grain is the most popular size for a caribou, the particular bullet being determined by what folks prefer and what their rifle shoots well. Personally I've always used a 150 grain core-lokt on caribou, but I think most people use a 180 grain. This weekend I'll be packing the 150 grains and will also have a few 210 grain bullets in the pack in case I come across a grizzly.

168 grain Barnes TSX is very popular because it shoots very flat and fast and still retains it weight after hitting your target. Your 180's will work great also and may be better suited incase you come across a bear. I agree with ya, shoot what you know

Agree with everyone, shoot what you know. It doesn't take much to knock down a bou. 168g is a good middle ground but your already shooting 180's so stick with them. Your shots shouldn't be that far out there, you can usually get pretty close to bou.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

If you know the rifle and the load, then shoot what you normally shoot with so you can place the shot with certanty.

I preferr my M-39 and 149 grn FMJ's.

Almost any .30 cal moving 2660fps+ will do just fine.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have killed a few caribou with an 06' and 180grn bullets, a few with a .338WM and 225grn bullets, my wife took one with a .280rem and 154 grn bullet, they all died very quickly.

Your rifle and load will work just dandy, all you ahve to do is put the bullet in the proper place .

Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

My 270 with 130 grain nosler particians did fine, 1 shot 1 Bou, on the other hand I had a 7mm Imperial Magnum shooting 140 grainers at about 3400 ft per second and they tended to just buss through it made me rethink some of my opinions on speed. Your 180 grainers will do just fine.

I use 165 grain partitions in my .308. I handload them and played with the recipe until I got my rifle hitting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I tried out the 180 grain trophy bonds one year due to the powder shortage, and they worked great as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

grandpappy got us all a box of 150 grainers, corelokt, So i reckon thatsa what we'll be usin. I just bought my dad a new gun today, and its sighted in for 150's (as of tonight). I havn't got around to loading and 180's yet. and the way i reckon it, we've shot moose with 150's and they died real quick, we've shot deer with it and they died real quick, and mydad has shot a couple 'bou with them an they died real quick, so thats what my dad will be usin. Me, I'll be usin the ol 32 special, throwing a 170 GR soft point at around 2300 ft'sec with 1967 ft/lbs of energy. BOO YAA!!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Those 180 grain Barnes X and the 30-06 always worked great for moose and caribou for us. That is just a great "Alaskan Load" !

180 gr. works great we got a caribou a couple days ago from a .300 win mag shooting that round. they're not incredibly tough animals from what i've seen of course there are some standout individuals. i've seen them shot with .223 55gr fmj's and drop on the spot (not my choice of bullet). shot placement prob more important than caliber. then there is the ever popular unit 23/26 .22lr shot to the head out of a boat while there swimming acroos the river

I only shoot 180 gr. Accubonds in my '06, and they kill caribou just fine. I only shoot 140 gr. Accubonds in my 270, and they also kill caribou just fine.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

That would be Remington 45grain .22 LR solids, Justin ~~LOL!!~~

Maybe 1/2 of my Caribou Bulls are shot with that load, Its highly reccomended.

Thousands of pounds of Caribou meat and none got away, just cant be wrong
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....