Thread: Opening day in a few more hours

Default Opening day in a few more hours

Who is going out? One thing I love about early bow season for moose is the woods aren't as crowded. Even though I know that moose are still in their summertime mode and hunting is not as productive, I like having the woods cleared out for a change. I also feel less pressure in the archery early season. When I am gun hunting I always feel pressured like if I don't see a legal bull right away, the season will be over soon. When I am out with my bow it is just for fun. Pressure is off. No worries. Just my stick and my string, and the chance at one legal animal. It reminds me of why I love hunting so much. Here is a poem I read once by an anonymous archer. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did the first time I read it.

Well... between a delightful old man conjuring up memories of long ago hunts and a boy's first bow, we find an unpredictable creature called a bowhunter. Bowhunters come in assorted sizes, but they all have the same creed: to spend as much time as possible outdoors.

Bowhunters are found nearly everywhere, stalking around swamps, sneaking through briar patches, and scouting deer tracks a month before the season opens. Mothers love them; sweethearts can't understand them; the boss envies them; and heaven protects them.

When you are busy working, a bowhunter is thinking of lonely trails and a countryside painted with autumn leaves. When you want him to make a good impression all he can talk about is fletching an arrow and his favorite bow.

A bowhunter is a funny guy...in the woods he will happily eat last year's candy bar and drink from any mountain stream, but at home his wife pampers his stomach. He likes long weekends, buckskin jackets, old apple orchards, logging roads, unposted land and questionable companions who are also hunters. Without thought of race, creed, or color, he like people who hunt with arrows three months a year and talk about it twelve.

Nobody else is so early to rise or so late to dinner. Nobody else can cram into one pocket an extra bowstring, waterproof matches, insect repellant, a bottle of buck lure, a faulty compass, a can opener, a red handkerchief, and two chocolate bars.

A bowhunter is an instinctive creature. You know where he is in the spring and summer, but he's hard to find in the fall...when he's overcome by that primitive urge to roam free in the foothills and swamps with the hope of just one clear shot...to chase game with the ghosts of other hunters...from other times. That's all he really asks.

Author Unknown

Default Still working

Hopefully I'll be home this weekend. I plan on going out.

Smile Opening day

Seen 10 moose opening day 7 cows and 3 bulls. All the bulls were legal, a 3 browtine a huge 60 ish to far away to get too and a forked horn about 30 inches. Passed the fork up at 40 yards. Good luck to every one

Got to work all weekend unfortunately. I have a yearly hunt planned in first week of Sept. for moose. I might head out to local areas with my bow to try find a moose or a bear(always have a bear harvest ticket handy) in my free time until my hunt.

I managed to pull off a nice little spike bull. Not much for size but tasty meat

Wow, congrats!! My mouth is watering, its going to be a tasty one!

Congrats! Some good eating right there. Now what you going to hunt?

Thanks guys. I am going to take my wife down the Denali highway so she can kill a caribou or moose. Whichever pokes its head out first.

thats a great photo

AAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH! I was just within 40 yards of a bull who had no idea I was there. I thought for sure he was a forkhorn in the low light and shadows, but when I put the range finder on him I was able to make out a third tine on the side closest to me and unfortunately couldn't confirm there wasn't a third on the far side. So close! It would have been too good to be true though considering he was about a hundred yards from my jeep.

Well, there's always tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I managed to pull off a nice little spike bull. Not much for size but tasty meat

Congrats on the meat bull! Now cut your lawn! Just messin w ya. Love the 1st pics of the year.....

what kind of bow is that?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It is a great plains take down recurve. 55 lbs @ 28"

Nice!

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Nice job BushwhackJack!! I nailed a Fork X Fork as well. What a day. Saw 11 bulls, 6 being legal. I was on my way to a 47" w/ 3 brow tines and lost him in the willows when the little guy stepped out and gave me a 36yd double lung shot. So I took it. Processed him today and ate some. TENDER!!! That's some fine eats...

Good job. Too bad you didn't get the 47".

Man, where are you guys hunting at that you're seeing so many legal bulls? I spent the last 6 days out in the valley off Miller's Reach road close to the Lil Su. Saw cows every single day, several with calves, and a few other calves that were 2 year olds withouth mom around. Only saw one bull, a legal forkie. I was actually done hunting in the morning and was back at camp making breakfast. He popped out of the trees and came right at me. By the time I got my bow and got down behind my tent, he busted me. He started to move away, but not too quick. Since I was busted, I just decided to start walking out to him. Got to about 45 yards but he was going away and in pretty tall grass. Never saw him, or another legal bull again. If it would have been rifle season, he would have been down. Could have shot a cow for each of us here on this thread though.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Man, where are you guys hunting at that you're seeing so many legal bulls? I spent the last 6 days out in the valley off Miller's Reach road close to the Lil Su. Saw cows every single day, several with calves, and a few other calves that were 2 year olds withouth mom around. Only saw one bull, a legal forkie. I was actually done hunting in the morning and was back at camp making breakfast. He popped out of the trees and came right at me. By the time I got my bow and got down behind my tent, he busted me. He started to move away, but not too quick. Since I was busted, I just decided to start walking out to him. Got to about 45 yards but he was going away and in pretty tall grass. Never saw him, or another legal bull again. If it would have been rifle season, he would have been down. Could have shot a cow for each of us here on this thread though.
    dont feel too bad I've only seen one bull in season ever. I can't freaking find em.

Congrats to you guys on connecting. I have seen about 8 legal bulls and a bunch of cows and not legal bulls. I was able to get about 42 yards away from one forky but it was just to dark to take a shot. I was alittle upset but I know I made the right choice.
    Good luck guys.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

brslar,

Glad you got into em. I'll try to call you sometime to get the manual for my bow, when it's convenient for you.

I've hunted 5 days since the season opened. I've seen 12 bulls, 6 of which were spike/forks. Wish I could find the big 3 brow tine bull that I saw two days before the season opened. Everything has been withing 15 miles of my house in wasilla.

Good luck to everyone.