Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer boat collision?

Default Homer boat collision?

I was over in Homer last week and heard talk of a charter boat slamming into a privately owned boat that was on anchor. I've searched through the local news orgs from there and can't find anything on it. We have family coming up next summer who want to go fishing out of there and I was thinking of looking into a black bear hunt in the area as well that would require a boat drop off. I don't want to breach any rules or start any rumors but I heard of this on 3 different occasions and was hoping someone could fill in a few of the blanks.

Thank you.

If its the same story I heard of ,it involved a water taxi and a private on anchor.Sure homerdave would have the whole story.

a water taxi did hit an anchored sport boat up the bay a few weeks ago.
    the anchored boat was a 24' seasport called the "Growler". he was in a group of boats fishing halibut in the inner bay due to rough seas in the inlet. the taxi was a landing craft (no, not me!!) and he hit the growler on full step, doing $40,000 damage as his skeg tore open the hopuse. no one was seriously hurt beyond banged and badly bruised, and the boat returned to homer under it's own power. the L/C was undamaged and was back working that afternoon.
    U/A and breathalyzer tests were administered on the dock, and the CG investigation is "ongoing".
    the same skipper received a citation for reckless behavior at the mouth of the harbor about a month previous to the incident, and the homer harbormaster filed a "letter of concern" with the CG.
    if he worked for me i would have fired him, but he still has his job.....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Wow, all parties involved are very fortunate there were no fatalities or serious injuries in that incident. I hope the captain of that L/C is out of a job now. No excuse for that.

he hit the growler on full step
    homerdave,

Was there fog in the area when the collision ocurred? Did the collision occur as the water taxi came around a blind corner?

Just sort of puzzled thinking through how this situation would occur.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    Was there fog in the area when the collision ocurred? Did the collision occur as the water taxi came around a blind corner?

Just sort of puzzled thinking through how this situation would occur.

Doug
    Nope, the boats fishing were anchored in the middle of the bay off aurora spit. Seas were not more than 2', and conditions were clear.

Get out the ID10T paperwork......

Nope, the boats fishing were anchored in the middle of the bay off aurora spit. Seas were not more than 2', and conditions were clear.
    homerdave,

Thanks for the details. You information leaves me sort of speechless.

Doug

I've gone looking through Police Reports and Coast Guard News from their respective sites and can't find even an incident report??

In NO WAY do I question Dave or his info, he's always been a straight shooter, just seems very odd that something like this is being kept quiet.

Is this Skipper somehow Connected? It's the only conclusion I can draw.

The idea that he is not only still licensed, but STILL employed makes me wonder WHO he is and WHO his employer might be....??
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

even after the harbor master got involved.
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the guy is self employed?
    I can't figure out how you hit a boat that BIG in those conditions if your not on some thing, unless some thing mech. happened to the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the guy is self employed?
    he is an owner-operator who is booked by an established water taxi business. the business could "fire" him by no longer booking him.
    if your not on some thing.
    he was on step
    happened to the boat?
    nothing. metal trumps fiberglass in a major way.

Default Confused

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    ... he hit the growler on full step, doing $40,000 damage as his skeg tore open the hopuse. no one was seriously hurt beyond banged and badly bruised, and the boat returned to homer under it's own power. the L/C was undamaged and was back working that afternoon.
    I've always prided myself on knowing nautical lingo. Never heard of a "hopuse" though. It ain't in my books either. Maybe it's new landing craft terminology.

AUTO-PILOT

We were almost run down by a fishing boat running on auto-pilot several years ago, and yes it was at Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Never heard of a "hopuse" though....
    tht would be "house"... little keyboards on little phones, you know.
    of course i don't post or text while driving... a guy could hit someone

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    tht would be "house"... little keyboards on little phones, you know.
    of course i don't post or text while driving... a guy could hit someone
    Dave, look out for that Seasport!!!!! Sorry, I just couldn't resist....

I heard the same story from the skipper of a charter that I was on. From what I was told the operator couldn't see over his bow and did not see the boats. I was out on the water in the same area and have no idea how you could not see someone. There is miles of visibility even during somewhat of a chop. No excuse in my book, just negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I heard the same story from the skipper of a charter that I was on. From what I was told the operator couldn't see over his bow and did not see the boats. I was out on the water in the same area and have no idea how you could not see someone. There is miles of visibility even during somewhat of a chop. No excuse in my book, just negligence.
    If he claimed he could not see over the bow, he must have had his head someplace other than oriented forward.

If there are boat damages over $500, doesn't the Coast Guard require that it be reported?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If there are boat damages over $500, doesn't the Coast Guard require that it be reported?
    the CG is fully involved, the investigation is "ongoing", but the results will only be available if one files a freedom of information act request... it's the feds, after all.

So I'll keep the water taxi's name out of it... I'm not defending the guy or anything, but he was loaded down with lumber and building supplies and was careless. I heard the whole thing over the radio as we were out at that same time by Halibut Cove and I also know the owners of the business involved.

Mountaintrekker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast